Can't understand it

Options

Replies

• raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    I've lost 2.4 lb in the last 2 weeks which I know you will say is a good rate but the maths says I should have lost 3.4lb -_- it's really frustrating seeing that deficit and not seeing the scale match up

It is not healthy to lose more than 2 lb a week. there are risk involved
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/losing-weight-too-fast
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Not anything extra to add except for the fact that last time I used MFP I too used a Fitbit and found that I did better without it.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yeah my Fitbit thinks I am some sort of a fitness fanatic. Trial and error says I burn about 400 calories less a day. But because my job keeps me busy and moving it gives me lots of calories. I just wear it cause it motivates me to keep moving and I eat the number of calories that time has told me I lose on.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I may be way off base here but have you adjusted your setup since you lost weight? If you lose weight then of course your body requires less calories to maintain. This could explain why you were losing faster before. If that's not the case all I can say is I sympathise. MFP says maintenance for me is 1550 but it is actually 1350 :s It sucks but that's life.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Yeah my Fitbit thinks I am some sort of a fitness fanatic. Trial and error says I burn about 400 calories less a day. But because my job keeps me busy and moving it gives me lots of calories. I just wear it cause it motivates me to keep moving and I eat the number of calories that time has told me I lose on.

Stride length value is likely off, and with many steps the error adds up.
    Many people if they set the stride length figure - set it for exercise level pace and that's wrong - because then for vast majority of the day if really active - it's overestimating distance and calories.
    It should be set to median daily pace.
    Then it dynamically adjusts the stride length based on the impact seen compared to expected, gets new distance, and calories.

I manually entered my stride after measuring it on a treadmill by it is always possible I did that wrong. I think the likely culprit is that is work at Fedex and spend a lot of my day packing boxes and moving my arms certainly more than my legs. It is probably giving me strides when I am actually engaging much smaller muscles :)
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're logging and measuring everything accurately, and it sounds like you are, then it boils down to the fact that your body is not a calculator. It's more like a rusty abacus. Just because you've put the figures in doesn't mean you're instantly going to get the result. It takes time for your body to adapt and let things move. Water doesn't follow CICO as closely as we'd like. Fat loss can be masked by water retention. Just keep at it, be patient and it'll happen, even if not quite as quickly as you'd like.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I may be way off base here but have you adjusted your setup since you lost weight? If you lose weight then of course your body requires less calories to maintain. This could explain why you were losing faster before. If that's not the case all I can say is I sympathise. MFP says maintenance for me is 1550 but it is actually 1350 :s It sucks but that's life.

I don't mean when I started this time I was losing quicker now it's slowed down I mean this time last year I was the same weight doing the same this but losing quicker this time seems harder/slower but I'm ok with it now I made a month by month weight loss calender and it goes like this January lost 9lb February lost 2.5lbs March lost 5.9lbs and April lost 3lbs seeing it like this has helped me loads
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    For women in particular, it's best to assess your weight on similar days of your cycle. A 2 week trend can be pretty misleading. I usually weigh 2 or so pounds more if I weight myself on the first day of my period then 2 weeks later (which is around ovulation for me). My month to month loss is pretty consistent.

Fitbit usually over-estimates for me, especially the heart rate kind. The one with a heart rate monitor gives me really inflated calories because my resting heart rate is low at night but it shoots up during the day due to coffee and such.

I weigh every day and use a weight trending app