Options
    dairy is now public everyone thanks.

i weight things like oats and ingredients or i can on the food labels x
  • Li5a87MFP
    Li5a87MFP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Li5a87MFP wrote: »
    but if i’m going over my net calories a few hundred a week but not taking off five hours of exercise, 5 days a week surely something’s wrong?
    iv lost weight before so i know how calorie deficits work i’m just wondering am i affecting weight loss or water retention or something by eating more calories at weekends or something like that?

What is your exercise and about how much is the calorie burn? What is your activity level in MFP?

There is something in the numbers that are effecting this, we just need to find if its in your activity level, your calories logged or exercise or a combination.

activity level in MFP is set to active.
    i work with horses and do a school
    run before and after so i’m on my feet for five hours a day five days a week, i average 13,000 steps and also a lot of lifting, bending, carrying etc, i don’t ride. i don’t take any exercise off my calories on my fitness pal as was scared i was over estimating exercise calories but still hasn’t made any difference.

some weeks i can drop 4/6 lbs but next week it will always be back on i seem to fluctuate a lot but never go down much.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    but if i’m going over my net calories a few hundred a week but not taking off five hours of exercise, 5 days a week surely something’s wrong?
    iv lost weight before so i know how calorie deficits work i’m just wondering am i affecting weight loss or water retention or something by eating more calories at weekends or something like that?

What is your exercise and about how much is the calorie burn? What is your activity level in MFP?

There is something in the numbers that are effecting this, we just need to find if its in your activity level, your calories logged or exercise or a combination.

run before and after so i’m on my feet for five hours a day five days a week, i average 13,000 steps and also a lot of lifting, bending, carrying etc, i don’t ride. i don’t take any exercise off my calories on my fitness pal as was scared i was over estimating exercise calories but still hasn’t made any difference.

some weeks i can drop 4/6 lbs but next week it will always be back on i seem to fluctuate a lot but never go down much.

I see things in grams on your diary but I can't tell if you actually weighed all the food on your diary or not. In addition to that, I see half cups, half portion, etc. Is everything weighed using a scale?

You run in the a.m. and after (so twice a day)? How many miles are you running ?

• Li5a87MFP
    Options

I see things in grams on your diary but I can't tell if you actually weighed all the food on your diary or not. In addition to that, I see half cups, half portion, etc. Is everything weighed using a scale?

You run in the a.m. and after (so twice a day)? How many miles are you running ?

Generally they go off the barcodes otherwise if it’s something iv cooked myself i will calculate the measurements of the whole thing and then divide it into potions. i walk sorry not run as in the school run walk, on average i walk about 6/7 miles a day. x

• Lesscookies12
    Lesscookies12 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to track your intake??
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to track your intake??

see above thank you x
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options

Generally they go off the barcodes otherwise if it’s something iv cooked myself i will calculate the measurements of the whole thing and then divide it into potions. i walk sorry not run as in the school run walk, on average i walk about 6/7 miles a day. x

Are you using a food scale to weigh all of your food though?

So your steps include walking to school, running later in the p.m. and your work walking around? If you do a fairly light run I cannot see this as a big deal as it relates to not adding these/eating these back.

I would get very consistent with weighing and logging for 4 weeks, the calorie overages are certainly making a big deal in your losses, so I would be consistent with 1500 calories, no over eating days or if you do bank calories from the week to indulge but stay within your calorie goal to adhere to a 'weekly deficit'. Trend what your weight does over 4 weeks.

i don’t weigh all my food for example if a loaf of bread says 90 calories a slice i will take it as 90 calories a slice, if it’s something like cheese in a sandwich or oats i will weigh it out with scales, i don’t weigh fruit and veg i just guess.
    i tend to average around 1,700 calories a week before exercise which is over my 1,400 goal but that is a goal i set to be much lower than the my fitness pal
    goal. unless iv set it too low and setting myself up to fail i.e over eating days?
    i think i’m struggling with consistency because of the high losses and high gains. i’m struggling to balance out what i need and don’t need to eat with lots more exercise i think as before when iv lost weight i could keep calories around 1,200 as wasn’t doing much.
    x

Weigh everything you consume that has calories and do this for 4 weeks. You would be losing weight if you are creating a deficit. Consistency will be key for the next 4 weeks, use this opportunity to work on balance, there isn't any food off limits, just need to be able to accurately log them as your work through these next weeks ahead.

will i be able to do this easier if i take exercise calories off or not do as i don’t now x

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

So your steps include walking to school, running later in the p.m. and your work walking around? If you do a fairly light run I cannot see this as a big deal as it relates to not adding these/eating these back.

I would get very consistent with weighing and logging for 4 weeks, the calorie overages are certainly making a big deal in your losses, so I would be consistent with 1500 calories, no over eating days or if you do bank calories from the week to indulge but stay within your calorie goal to adhere to a 'weekly deficit'. Trend what your weight does over 4 weeks.

Seconding this. Commit to the food scale for everything, even if it seems silly, and trying to consistently hit your calorie goal for at least 4 weeks and see if it shakes something lose. Not being so precise might have worked previously, but we all change over the years in subtle ways we don't realize. Maybe your activity level isn't as different as it seems, maybe you're appetite is subtly different. Many of us started out thinking we're eating the same amount we always have and then the food scale told us differently! Laying down 4-6 weeks of accurate data will shine a light on that one way or the other. Good luck!

I was going to mention this as a probability and something to look at after 4 weeks if her weight is not trending down. :smile:
  • Lyrica7
    Lyrica7 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do you have any chronic illnesses or are on any medications?
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

i don’t weigh all my food for example if a loaf of bread says 90 calories a slice i will take it as 90 calories a slice, if it’s something like cheese in a sandwich or oats i will weigh it out with scales, i don’t weigh fruit and veg i just guess.
    i tend to average around 1,700 calories a week before exercise which is over my 1,400 goal but that is a goal i set to be much lower than the my fitness pal
    goal. unless iv set it too low and setting myself up to fail i.e over eating days?
    i think i’m struggling with consistency because of the high losses and high gains. i’m struggling to balance out what i need and don’t need to eat with lots more exercise i think as before when iv lost weight i could keep calories around 1,200 as wasn’t doing much.
    x

Weigh everything you consume that has calories and do this for 4 weeks. You would be losing weight if you are creating a deficit. Consistency will be key for the next 4 weeks, use this opportunity to work on balance, there isn't any food off limits, just need to be able to accurately log them as your work through these next weeks ahead.

will i be able to do this easier if i take exercise calories off or not do as i don’t now x

your set to active...alot of your walking is already accounted for in that anyway

my calorie intake goal is one i made up as the my fitness pal one seemed too high so i took around 200/300 calories off it, however may well be affecting it if it’s taking it off and i’m assuming it’s not
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    Lyrica7 wrote: »
    Do you have any chronic illnesses or are on any medications?

no xx
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    i’m trying to let my fitness pal calculate my calories for me but now i’m a premium member i can’t work out how to do it as it just says custom and wants me to do it...grrr x