RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Li5a87MFP wrote: »
    but if i’m going over my net calories a few hundred a week but not taking off five hours of exercise, 5 days a week surely something’s wrong?
    iv lost weight before so i know how calorie deficits work i’m just wondering am i affecting weight loss or water retention or something by eating more calories at weekends or something like that?

What is your exercise and about how much is the calorie burn? What is your activity level in MFP?

There is something in the numbers that are effecting this, we just need to find if its in your activity level, your calories logged or exercise or a combination.

activity level in MFP is set to active.
    i work with horses and do a school
    run before and after so i’m on my feet for five hours a day five days a week, i average 13,000 steps and also a lot of lifting, bending, carrying etc, i don’t ride. i don’t take any exercise off my calories on my fitness pal as was scared i was over estimating exercise calories but still hasn’t made any difference.

some weeks i can drop 4/6 lbs but next week it will always be back on i seem to fluctuate a lot but never go down much.

I see things in grams on your diary but I can't tell if you actually weighed all the food on your diary or not. In addition to that, I see half cups, half portion, etc. Is everything weighed using a scale?

You run in the a.m. and after (so twice a day)? How many miles are you running ?

Generally they go off the barcodes otherwise if it’s something iv cooked myself i will calculate the measurements of the whole thing and then divide it into potions. i walk sorry not run as in the school run walk, on average i walk about 6/7 miles a day. x

Are you using a food scale to weigh all of your food though?

So your steps include walking to school, running later in the p.m. and your work walking around? If you do a fairly light run I cannot see this as a big deal as it relates to not adding these/eating these back.

I would get very consistent with weighing and logging for 4 weeks, the calorie overages are certainly making a big deal in your losses, so I would be consistent with 1500 calories, no over eating days or if you do bank calories from the week to indulge but stay within your calorie goal to adhere to a 'weekly deficit'. Trend what your weight does over 4 weeks.

i don’t weigh all my food for example if a loaf of bread says 90 calories a slice i will take it as 90 calories a slice, if it’s something like cheese in a sandwich or oats i will weigh it out with scales, i don’t weigh fruit and veg i just guess.
    i tend to average around 1,700 calories a week before exercise which is over my 1,400 goal but that is a goal i set to be much lower than the my fitness pal
    goal. unless iv set it too low and setting myself up to fail i.e over eating days?
    i think i’m struggling with consistency because of the high losses and high gains. i’m struggling to balance out what i need and don’t need to eat with lots more exercise i think as before when iv lost weight i could keep calories around 1,200 as wasn’t doing much.
    x

Weigh everything you consume that has calories and do this for 4 weeks. You would be losing weight if you are creating a deficit. Consistency will be key for the next 4 weeks, use this opportunity to work on balance, there isn't any food off limits, just need to be able to accurately log them as your work through these next weeks ahead.

will i be able to do this easier if i take exercise calories off or not do as i don’t now x

your set to active...alot of your walking is already accounted for in that anyway

my calorie intake goal is one i made up as the my fitness pal one seemed too high so i took around 200/300 calories off it, however may well be affecting it if it’s taking it off and i’m assuming it’s not

look. simply your complicating it for yourself and focusing entirely on the wrong things. Youve openly admitted to overeating multiple days a week, And not weighing your food. You simply have no idea how much you are eating, And thats all there is to it. Im sorry but im not sure what else your lookin for, Tighten your logging so you know how much your actually eating and if you still dont lose then you can ask whats wrong. For now, Thats whats wrong.

Side note, I eat a good 600 calories a day in vegetables, Easily. In small meals. They have calories to. And in the past iv had pieces of bread average 1.5 x what they claim a slice weighs. Also you say you go off what packaging says, Packaging is often very off. ITs dumb but it is.

I have always found that bread weigh more than stated on label.

Iv only found 1 brand that came close XD
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    i’m trying to let my fitness pal calculate my calories for me but now i’m a premium member i can’t work out how to do it as it just says custom and wants me to do it...grrr x

Are you trying to setup different calorie goals, calories by meal, macros???? You don't need to customize anything, use MFP's goal it gave you when you setup your stats, rate of loss and activity level. So if it gave you 1500 or 1400 eat that amount every day.
  • Li5a87MFP
    Li5a87MFP Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i’m trying to let my fitness pal calculate my calories for me but now i’m a premium member i can’t work out how to do it as it just says custom and wants me to do it...grrr x

Are you trying to setup different calorie goals, calories by meal, macros???? You don't need to customize anything, use MFP's goal it gave you when you setup your stats, rate of loss and activity level. So if it gave you 1500 or 1400 eat that amount every day.

Yes my fitness pal calculated around 1,700 which i thought was too high as i didn’t realise selecting active made a difference to the calories! so i customised it to 1,400. so i guess on my
    good days i have been eating too little resulting in my bad days being bad and my body not knowing what the hell to do, as some weeks i lose 5/6lbs but i can’t maintain it and wonder why iv lost that much when i should be losing 2lbs then the next week i gain 3lbs and wonder why when i should be losing 2lbs...that would make sense
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

Yes my fitness pal calculated around 1,700 which i thought was too high as i didn’t realise selecting active made a difference to the calories! so i customised it to 1,400. so i guess on my
    good days i have been eating too little resulting in my bad days being bad and my body not knowing what the hell to do, as some weeks i lose 5/6lbs but i can’t maintain it and wonder why iv lost that much when i should be losing 2lbs then the next week i gain 3lbs and wonder why when i should be losing 2lbs...that would make sense

You would change your activity level not your actual calorie goal if you think its giving you too many calories. I think understanding the difference between NEAT and EAT (non exercise and exercise part of total expenditure would help you in this aspect).

In any regard, now I recommend you set a reasonable rate of loss depending on how much you have to lose (make sure 2 pounds is not aggressive) based on your activity and exercise.

You are way over complicating this process. MFP does all of this math for you, you can tweak along the way, but getting a base start and doing that along with the changes in your logging is all you need and see what your weight does in the next 4 weeks.
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    but if i’m going over my net calories a few hundred a week but not taking off five hours of exercise, 5 days a week surely something’s wrong?
    iv lost weight before so i know how calorie deficits work i’m just wondering am i affecting weight loss or water retention or something by eating more calories at weekends or something like that?

What is your exercise and about how much is the calorie burn? What is your activity level in MFP?

There is something in the numbers that are effecting this, we just need to find if its in your activity level, your calories logged or exercise or a combination.

run before and after so i’m on my feet for five hours a day five days a week, i average 13,000 steps and also a lot of lifting, bending, carrying etc, i don’t ride. i don’t take any exercise off my calories on my fitness pal as was scared i was over estimating exercise calories but still hasn’t made any difference.

some weeks i can drop 4/6 lbs but next week it will always be back on i seem to fluctuate a lot but never go down much.

I see things in grams on your diary but I can't tell if you actually weighed all the food on your diary or not. In addition to that, I see half cups, half portion, etc. Is everything weighed using a scale?

You run in the a.m. and after (so twice a day)? How many miles are you running ?

Generally they go off the barcodes otherwise if it’s something iv cooked myself i will calculate the measurements of the whole thing and then divide it into potions. i walk sorry not run as in the school run walk, on average i walk about 6/7 miles a day. x

So your steps include walking to school, running later in the p.m. and your work walking around? If you do a fairly light run I cannot see this as a big deal as it relates to not adding these/eating these back.

I would get very consistent with weighing and logging for 4 weeks, the calorie overages are certainly making a big deal in your losses, so I would be consistent with 1500 calories, no over eating days or if you do bank calories from the week to indulge but stay within your calorie goal to adhere to a 'weekly deficit'. Trend what your weight does over 4 weeks.

i don’t weigh all my food for example if a loaf of bread says 90 calories a slice i will take it as 90 calories a slice, if it’s something like cheese in a sandwich or oats i will weigh it out with scales, i don’t weigh fruit and veg i just guess.
    i tend to average around 1,700 calories a week before exercise which is over my 1,400 goal but that is a goal i set to be much lower than the my fitness pal
    goal. unless iv set it too low and setting myself up to fail i.e over eating days?
    i think i’m struggling with consistency because of the high losses and high gains. i’m struggling to balance out what i need and don’t need to eat with lots more exercise i think as before when iv lost weight i could keep calories around 1,200 as wasn’t doing much.
    x

Weigh everything you consume that has calories and do this for 4 weeks. You would be losing weight if you are creating a deficit. Consistency will be key for the next 4 weeks, use this opportunity to work on balance, there isn't any food off limits, just need to be able to accurately log them as your work through these next weeks ahead.

will i be able to do this easier if i take exercise calories off or not do as i don’t now x

your set to active...alot of your walking is already accounted for in that anyway

my calorie intake goal is one i made up as the my fitness pal one seemed too high so i took around 200/300 calories off it, however may well be affecting it if it’s taking it off and i’m assuming it’s not

look. simply your complicating it for yourself and focusing entirely on the wrong things. Youve openly admitted to overeating multiple days a week, And not weighing your food. You simply have no idea how much you are eating, And thats all there is to it. Im sorry but im not sure what else your lookin for, Tighten your logging so you know how much your actually eating and if you still dont lose then you can ask whats wrong. For now, Thats whats wrong.

Side note, I eat a good 600 calories a day in vegetables, Easily. In small meals. They have calories to. And in the past iv had pieces of bread average 1.5 x what they claim a slice weighs. Also you say you go off what packaging says, Packaging is often very off. ITs dumb but it is.

tbh i don’t eat enough bread for it to be that much of an issue, i certainly can’t afford to eat 600 calories of veggies a day, i also have lost weight enough times to know what’s in food. i think my issue this time around is balancing out calories in against a now higher amount of calories out, how this has affected my appetite, and how this has effected the accuracy of my data, and consistency and weight loss x

• Li5a87MFP
    Options

x

tbh i don’t eat enough bread for it to be that much of an issue, i certainly can’t afford to eat 600 calories of veggies a day, i also have lost weight enough times to know what’s in food. i think my issue this time around is balancing out calories in against a now higher amount of calories out, how this has affected my appetite, and how this has effected the accuracy of my data, and consistency and weight loss x

nah you failed to mention your losing 5-6 lbs in a week and then binging it back that would be the problem...Undereating and then overeating to compensate your just spinning your wheels

so if i actually had stuck to the 1,700 for a few weeks i’d have probably ended up at a steady 2lbs a week, instead of knocking my calories down to 1,400 not realising the active element and not eating enough so then eating too much other days, and the scales going up and down rather than not going down steadily. x
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I agree with @JaydedMiss - if you stop with the 5/6lbs loss weeks, you should also stop with the gaining it all back weeks, and that these restrict / binge cycles are making you spin your wheels.

Take is slower, and watch your weight drop more consistently over time.

i aimed to lose 2lbs a week and that was how my fitness pal calculated 1,700 for me, it was me that then changed this down to 1,400 thinking the 1,700 would be too much as before it’s taken me about 1,200 when i wasn’t exercising at all. i think i just made it harder for myself in the long run doing that rather than trusting the calculation. hence the over eating cycle as you say x
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    OP there are general recommendations for weight loss.

100+ lbs = 2 lbs per week
    50-75 lbs= 1.5 lbs per week
    25-50 lbs = 1 lb per week
    25 and under = 0.5 lbs per week

I am not sure how much you have to lose, but doing a safe weight loss so you don't lose too much muscle mass, avoid side effects (that are not fun by the way), keep binging at bay, etc.

i would fall in the 1.5 bracket which is interesting as iv always thought i’d be fine with 2lbs a week x
  • Li5a87MFP
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I agree with @JaydedMiss - if you stop with the 5/6lbs loss weeks, you should also stop with the gaining it all back weeks, and that these restrict / binge cycles are making you spin your wheels.

Take is slower, and watch your weight drop more consistently over time.

i aimed to lose 2lbs a week and that was how my fitness pal calculated 1,700 for me, it was me that then changed this down to 1,400 thinking the 1,700 would be too much as before it’s taken me about 1,200 when i wasn’t exercising at all. i think i just made it harder for myself in the long run doing that rather than trusting the calculation. hence the over eating cycle as you say x

@JaydedMiss

i think you’re right if i tighten up the tracing as well as going back to the my fitness pal calculation it should help x

• Li5a87MFP
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Here is a different approach.

DON'T aim for only 1500. Actually look at how many calories your crazy Fitbit told you that you've burned on average these past 30 days and aim for 25% less than that. BUT. And here's a big but. Weigh every single thing that goes through your lips and record it BEFORE you eat it.

Before. Not after. And weigh all condiments. And sauces. And drinks. And vegetables. And fruits Coffee has calories. if you tasted something it has calories.

Weigh yourself every day in the morning after using the washroom, before eating or drinking, and record your weight in your Fitbit app. Connect your Fitbit to trendweight.com and look at your weight trend over time.

After 4 to 6 weeks look at your trending weight results and at the deficit you thought you had and compare the two. Now adjust your deficit aiming to achieve *no more* than a 20% deficit (25% while obese). And while you're at it, review your log to see which items are worth the calories and which aren't.

Looking at your log I am willing to bet that you don't weigh your morning cereal. And that your actual grams are substantially more than you think they are.

Counting 30 out of your last 32 days (excluding a 750 day and a sub 450 day), you logged 1700 Cal. 211 Carb, 56fat, 70 protein 21mg cholesterol, 2087mg sodium, 63g sugar and 14g fiber.

Minimum fiber for most should be around 25, if not 28g. Protein is not terrible but could certainly stand to be a tad higher.

Your breakfast cereal seems to be eaten with semi skimmed milk. Your tea seems to have an eyeballed amount of skim milk. Are you using two kinds of milk? Are the values correct?

I see no mention of cooking oil, or PAM spray or anything. Pam spray has 9 calories per gram. it sprays approximately 1g per second. You can weight your can of Pam before and after spraying and estimate how much you used (it pretty much translates gram to gram with the propellant accounting for negligible weight)

Similarly when it comes to cookies, desserts, etc. Even domino's nutritional information on the web tells you the weight the "standard" caloric values correspond to. What you get delivered to your door is not always the "standard weight" that the literature claims you will get!

Weigh everything. Please.

And when you do you will understand why I am saying you should aim for more calories than you're currently aiming for ;-)

hi thank you for you detailed look at my diary and thread.

i have looked at fitbit average for last 30 days is 2,731 average calories burnt a day (most of which would be mon-fri)

i do better the weeks i have over night oats (measured oats) for breakfast and so may just go back to this and skip cereal as feel fuller on the over night oats (with yogurt/quark and fruit) anyway.

i do only have a drop of milk as like my tea very strong but again will measure and check this.

i will look into ways of adding more fibre. i use fry light for cooking i think it’s 1 kcal a spray.

interesting point about dominoes, and labels etc not being quite as they read. in honesty i could do with quitting the take aways which are mostly part of the over eating days.

many thanks again

• Li5a87MFP
    Options
    OP there are general recommendations for weight loss.

100+ lbs = 2 lbs per week
    50-75 lbs= 1.5 lbs per week
    25-50 lbs = 1 lb per week
    25 and under = 0.5 lbs per week

I am not sure how much you have to lose, but doing a safe weight loss so you don't lose too much muscle mass, avoid side effects (that are not fun by the way), keep binging at bay, etc.

i would fall in the 1.5 bracket which is interesting as iv always thought i’d be fine with 2lbs a week x

What we might think 2 pounds is better, faster but its not and especially for us females losing weight. Hormonal balance, body compensation i.e. loss of muscle, side effects I mention, are not healthy and most avoidable if you do it in a safe manner. Also your issues with binging, will be greatly reduced. We want to lose weight comfortably as possible.

i agree i think i need to stop aiming for 2lbs, i do fluctuate a lot and struggle with side effects and get disheartened easily. iv been telling myself if i lose a stone, 2lbs a week i will feel better and then keep it up but i don’t think that way of thinking has helped at all, x

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Nevermind, I might be muddying the waters.