Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

It’s my body, not the governments

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »
    When I was in the military, people are rated based on the size of their kingdom. If an organization had money left over at the end of the fiscal year, they didn't return it for others to use. They spent it so they would get as much if not more the next fiscal year.

I'm not entirely clear on your point here. Are you suggesting that the delivery of military effect is something that should be provided by the private sector?
    No, my point is contrary to the post quoted, I found the 401(k) to be superior to Social Security and that there was not incentive for the military to lower costs. Even when contracted out, unless the branch spending the money has an incentive to spend less, they will spend every dollar allocated, even if the goods or services are not needed.

So the issue isn't with the delivery of military effect being a government function?

I'd agree that the behaviours that incremental budgeting encourages are unhelpful, but that's an issue with the budgeting technique rather than public services.

Zero based budgeting encourages its own bad behaviours, although in truth I think it's a more comprehensive approach to it.

The issue is blind belief that either government or private sector is the best.

Why not give people the choice? I.E. if one believes Social Security is better than a 401(k) let them VOLUNTARILY put their money in Social Security and live with the outcome. If others believe a 401(k) is the better option, instead of making them be part of Social Security (all or just the income security portion of FICA taxes) let them choose. Maybe they choose 0-100% of the 6.2% portion of their FICA taxes to go into SS and a similar choice for the employer's matching 6.2% "contribution."

But just passing a law saying you must be part of this great plan we've developed may not be the best for all involved.

I know I could be retired in my mid-50s had I had control of the 12.4% taken each year and immediately spent instead of modestly invested in index funds.

That's a high-tech job that could be filled by another instead of me, if I had control over those funds.

Instead, I'm forced into SS where not only must I contribute, but I'll only see 30% of my indexed monthly income s a benefit vs the worker who paid closer to the minimum who will get 90% of his indexed monthly income at full retirement age.

It's a bad deal all the way around for me.

The basic point I am making is that, in a complex, modern society of 330 million people, it doesn’t always get to be about you. (Or me, or any single individual for that matter). The design of something like SSI and the issues involved are a lot more complex than just saying “I want my 12.4%, because I want it”. (And what makes you think for even an instant that the company you work for would be willing to turn over that 6.2% if they weren’t “forced” to by the government? They would be crying “freedom” more quickly, more loudly, and more effectively than you).

And, as recent years have shown, there is no guarantee that you could invest your money that successfully, or that other factors over which you have no control wouldn’t intervene. Then the rest of society would have to pitch in and support you. A society has to take the long view of what is the best fit for everyone. I understand your point, but I think you are making the common mistake of seeing things only from the point of view of your narrow self-interest (not meant as criticism). The track record of the “voluntary” system you favor overall is not encouraging. We are going to be facing a crisis in the future because the vast majority of people in 401K plans have done a pretty poor job of investing—partly because they haven’t been able to invest much, partly because they aren’t very good at investing, and partly because their earnings are sharply reduced by fees that are charged (401K plans are in large part government-sponsored welfare programs for banks).

Obviously, you think you are the outlier. And you very well could be. And so from your perspective, it seems unfair that you are “forced” into a system that you think puts you at a disadvantage. And that could very well be true. My feeling is that society cannot risk having millions of elderly, impoverished citizens, just so that a special few (like you and me) can do better. IMO, that might suck, but that’s the price you pay for living in a modern nation with all the benefits that America has to offer. Overall, it’s not such a bad deal.

I didn’t read all of it, but this site seemed to be a honest attempt to lay out the pros and cons:

https://socialsecurity.procon.org/

The problem with SSI is 1) if I could have taken that 12.4% and invested it myself in the same portfolio as my 401k I would have a very good return and benefits far exceeding what I will draw from SSI some day. 2) I can start withdrawing from my 401k at 59.5 years old, while I have to wait until I'm 67 to get my full SSI benefit. So by being locked into a non-customizable SSI program, I get less money and I get it later.

I get that many people do not want to invest their own SSI - for those, they can opt for the old system and have a static benefit available. For the rest of us - it is our benefit that we are paying into, so let us have some control over it.

Again....SS doesn't exist for you or me or people who have enough money and work in a professional career to invest in a matched 401k. It isn't there so that I can retire and get a boat instead of not being able to get a boat. Yeah our ROI putting into SS isn't as good as putting into a 401k. That is because all we put into a 401k goes to us...not all we put into SS goes to us, some of it goes to other people who need it....like truly need it.

If you and I pay into SS then SS has enough funds to take care of the sewer maintenance worker who worked every day of their life until 60 when their knees were failing and they could work no more but still lived to the age of 85. To make sure they had at least enough for a plate of rice and beans and a roof over there head.

If you and I instead took that money and put it into a 401k that 401k isn't going to be giving anything to that sewer maintenance worker at all...we are just going to be able to afford that boat. So what system is in place to make sure that person, who worked dutifully and provided a service that we all benefit from, doesn't die destitute in a ditch somewhere?

The only answer people seem to have for that is "Charity". But honestly if there was a Charity that was large enough and distributed enough to do what the government does with social security then how exactly would it not have the same logistical and financial issues and need for everyone to contribute?

The sewer maintenance worker and everyone else benefits when the SSI dollars collected are permitted to be invested responsibly. A minimum benefit level can still be established for those that fall short, but having money that gathers dust and doesn’t grow is extremely irresponsible and wasteful and benefits no one.

If the SSI funds were allowed to be invested individually and the sewer worker’s lifetime contributions and growth did not reach a minimum benefit threshold (I think the max right now is around$2,600), I’m all for the government bridging that gap so the guy still gets his $2,600 per month. Meanwhile, if I had been able to invest my own SSI contributions in the same funds as my 401k all of these years, I would be able to at least double my benefit when I retire. This is not to “buy a boat”, this is to achieve an income and lifestyle that is ballpark what I live on today, which I don’t think is unreasonable after working hard my entire adult life.

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I don't mind. The government is there to control people to a point because lets face it, people don't make the smart decisions. They think "I won't get addicted, I"LL be stronger than that" and guess what? They aren't, they get addicted, they cause issues for society as whole. What junkie starts out thinking "YES, can't wait to be a drain on society and start fights and pimp myself out for my next fix!"? It's generally, "just this once to relax/calm down/hit that deadline/etc."
    And if people really want 'my body my rules' then stop breathing the clean air that's regulated by the gov't, driving your car on roads maintained by the gov't, drinking clean water that is regulated by the gov't, and sending your kids to gov't regulated schools. In a modern society, you have to have rules for the good of the society as whole.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited April 2018
    When I was in the military, people are rated based on the size of their kingdom. If an organization had money left over at the end of the fiscal year, they didn't return it for others to use. They spent it so they would get as much if not more the next fiscal year.

I'm not entirely clear on your point here. Are you suggesting that the delivery of military effect is something that should be provided by the private sector?
    No, my point is contrary to the post quoted, I found the 401(k) to be superior to Social Security and that there was not incentive for the military to lower costs. Even when contracted out, unless the branch spending the money has an incentive to spend less, they will spend every dollar allocated, even if the goods or services are not needed.

So the issue isn't with the delivery of military effect being a government function?

I'd agree that the behaviours that incremental budgeting encourages are unhelpful, but that's an issue with the budgeting technique rather than public services.

Zero based budgeting encourages its own bad behaviours, although in truth I think it's a more comprehensive approach to it.

Why not give people the choice? I.E. if one believes Social Security is better than a 401(k) let them VOLUNTARILY put their money in Social Security and live with the outcome. If others believe a 401(k) is the better option, instead of making them be part of Social Security (all or just the income security portion of FICA taxes) let them choose. Maybe they choose 0-100% of the 6.2% portion of their FICA taxes to go into SS and a similar choice for the employer's matching 6.2% "contribution."

But just passing a law saying you must be part of this great plan we've developed may not be the best for all involved.

I know I could be retired in my mid-50s had I had control of the 12.4% taken each year and immediately spent instead of modestly invested in index funds.

That's a high-tech job that could be filled by another instead of me, if I had control over those funds.

Instead, I'm forced into SS where not only must I contribute, but I'll only see 30% of my indexed monthly income s a benefit vs the worker who paid closer to the minimum who will get 90% of his indexed monthly income at full retirement age.

The basic point I am making is that, in a complex, modern society of 330 million people, it doesn’t always get to be about you. (Or me, or any single individual for that matter). The design of something like SSI and the issues involved are a lot more complex than just saying “I want my 12.4%, because I want it”. (And what makes you think for even an instant that the company you work for would be willing to turn over that 6.2% if they weren’t “forced” to by the government? They would be crying “freedom” more quickly, more loudly, and more effectively than you).

And, as recent years have shown, there is no guarantee that you could invest your money that successfully, or that other factors over which you have no control wouldn’t intervene. Then the rest of society would have to pitch in and support you. A society has to take the long view of what is the best fit for everyone. I understand your point, but I think you are making the common mistake of seeing things only from the point of view of your narrow self-interest (not meant as criticism). The track record of the “voluntary” system you favor overall is not encouraging. We are going to be facing a crisis in the future because the vast majority of people in 401K plans have done a pretty poor job of investing—partly because they haven’t been able to invest much, partly because they aren’t very good at investing, and partly because their earnings are sharply reduced by fees that are charged (401K plans are in large part government-sponsored welfare programs for banks).

Obviously, you think you are the outlier. And you very well could be. And so from your perspective, it seems unfair that you are “forced” into a system that you think puts you at a disadvantage. And that could very well be true. My feeling is that society cannot risk having millions of elderly, impoverished citizens, just so that a special few (like you and me) can do better. IMO, that might suck, but that’s the price you pay for living in a modern nation with all the benefits that America has to offer. Overall, it’s not such a bad deal.

I didn’t read all of it, but this site seemed to be a honest attempt to lay out the pros and cons:

The problem with SSI is 1) if I could have taken that 12.4% and invested it myself in the same portfolio as my 401k I would have a very good return and benefits far exceeding what I will draw from SSI some day. 2) I can start withdrawing from my 401k at 59.5 years old, while I have to wait until I'm 67 to get my full SSI benefit. So by being locked into a non-customizable SSI program, I get less money and I get it later.

I get that many people do not want to invest their own SSI - for those, they can opt for the old system and have a static benefit available. For the rest of us - it is our benefit that we are paying into, so let us have some control over it.

Again....SS doesn't exist for you or me or people who have enough money and work in a professional career to invest in a matched 401k. It isn't there so that I can retire and get a boat instead of not being able to get a boat. Yeah our ROI putting into SS isn't as good as putting into a 401k. That is because all we put into a 401k goes to us...not all we put into SS goes to us, some of it goes to other people who need it....like truly need it.

If you and I pay into SS then SS has enough funds to take care of the sewer maintenance worker who worked every day of their life until 60 when their knees were failing and they could work no more but still lived to the age of 85. To make sure they had at least enough for a plate of rice and beans and a roof over there head.

If you and I instead took that money and put it into a 401k that 401k isn't going to be giving anything to that sewer maintenance worker at all...we are just going to be able to afford that boat. So what system is in place to make sure that person, who worked dutifully and provided a service that we all benefit from, doesn't die destitute in a ditch somewhere?

The only answer people seem to have for that is "Charity". But honestly if there was a Charity that was large enough and distributed enough to do what the government does with social security then how exactly would it not have the same logistical and financial issues and need for everyone to contribute?

The sewer maintenance worker and everyone else benefits when the SSI dollars collected are permitted to be invested responsibly. A minimum benefit level can still be established for those that fall short, but having money that gathers dust and doesn’t grow is extremely irresponsible and wasteful and benefits no one.

If the SSI funds were allowed to be invested individually and the sewer worker’s lifetime contributions and growth did not reach a minimum benefit threshold (I think the max right now is around$2,600), I’m all for the government bridging that gap so the guy still gets his $2,600 per month. Meanwhile, if I had been able to invest my own SSI contributions in the same funds as my 401k all of these years, I would be able to at least double my benefit when I retire. This is not to “buy a boat”, this is to achieve an income and lifestyle that is ballpark what I live on today, which I don’t think is unreasonable after working hard my entire adult life.

So your assumption is that the government does not invest or utilize SS funds or that they invest them in a sub-optimal way? Can you back that up with something showing where SS funds are going or are you just assuming that?
    I’m all for the government bridging that gap so the guy still gets his $2,600 per month.
    In order to bring that gap up to $2600 a month the government would require funds, they would get those funds from a tax...they might call that tax something, like social security. You basically just described what social security tax is.
    Meanwhile, if I had been able to invest my own SSI contributions in the same funds as my 401k all of these years, I would be able to at least double my benefit when I retire.
    That is assuming that the goverment wasn't using SSI contributions to "bridge the gap" for those who are in poverty....which is the point of SSI. I think that the return on investment for SS is worse than for a 401k in your experience because your SS dollars are in part going to bridge gaps of poverty while your 401k dollars aren't...that doesn't mean that SS dollars aren't invested. If you were allowed to put all your SS dollars into a 401k instead then where is the money to bridge those gaps?
  • Bry_Fitness70

So your assumption is that the government does not invest or utilize SS funds or that they invest them in a sub-optimal way? Can you back that up with something showing where SS funds are going or are you just assuming that?

No assumptions. (This is data you could have looked up independent of me).

This chart is the interest earned by the OASDI (SS trust fund) - care to put your own funds into this? Meanwhile, the stock market is making record gains.

bj5v0vagnva8.gif
  • Aaron_K123
    edited April 2018

This chart is the interest earned by the OASDI (SS trust fund) - care to put your own funds into this? Meanwhile, the stock market is making record gains.

bj5v0vagnva8.gif

You are comparing a 401k when you are still working to social security which is paying out to people as we speak. A 401k you put money into, you don't touch it until retirement. It makes sense to put money into a more volatile stock-heavy fund when you are younger and then transition that into a more secure bond-based fund when you are older and getting closer to pulling money out. When it is stock heavy the returns (and the loses) are larger. By the time you are pulling money out that 401k would be invested into a fund that does not "boom" when the stock market booms because it would be in bonds. The real comparison would be between social security funds and 401k funds that are paying out. The fact that social security has an interest return means that it is being invested, not "sitting on a shelf collecting dust". So, what is the interest a typical 401k returns when you are 65 and recieving payouts?

Social security is constantly in a state of paying out...maybe not to you personally right now, but to millions of people. It is therefore wise to have that money invested into a stable fund much like your 401k will be when you are retiring. If the government put that money into stocks and the market crashed then sewer worker wouldn't be getting his check anymore.

Again, if you agree that the sewer worker should have a minimum retirement benefit paid out by the government and obviously the government gets its money through taxes what exactly should we call that tax if it isn't called social security and how would that tax be any different that what social security tax currently is which is an income based tax put into bond style funds to payout to people who are at retirement age?

To answer your question for myself personally and for my own money I would put my money into a 401k that invests in stocks because I am 39 years old. If I agreed we should have funding to keep people in poverty able to eat and have housing after retirement and that I should contribute to that then I would want to put that contribution into a stable bond-style fund so that it was stable and can be used day to day to make payouts to people who are currently retired.
  • Bry_Fitness70

bj5v0vagnva8.gif

You are comparing a 401k when you are still working to social security which is paying out to people as we speak. A 401k you put money into, you don't touch it until retirement. It makes sense to put money into a more volatile stock-heavy fund when you are younger and then transition that into a more secure bond-based fund when you are older and getting closer to pulling money out. When it is stock heavy the returns (and the loses) are larger. By the time you are pulling money out that 401k would be invested into a fund that does not "boom" when the stock market booms because it would be in bonds. The real comparison would be between social security funds and 401k funds that are paying out. The fact that social security has an interest return means that it is being invested, not "sitting on a shelf collecting dust". So, what is the interest a typical 401k returns when you are 65 and recieving payouts?

Social security is constantly in a state of paying out...maybe not to you personally right now, but to millions of people. It is therefore wise to have that money invested into a stable fund much like your 401k will be when you are retiring. If the government put that money into stocks and the market crashed then sewer worker wouldn't be getting his check anymore.

Again, if you agree that the sewer worker should have a minimum retirement benefit paid out by the government and obviously the government gets its money through taxes what exactly should we call that tax if it isn't called social security and how would that tax be any different that what social security tax currently is which is an income based tax put into bond style funds to payout to people who are at retirement age?

To answer your question for myself personally and for my own money I would put my money into a 401k that invests in stocks because I am 39 years old. If I agreed we should have funding to keep people in poverty able to eat and have housing after retirement and that I should contribute to that then I would want to put that contribution into a stable bond-style fund so that it was stable and can be used day to day to make payouts to people who are currently retired.

Yes, the OASDI does pay out funds, but that has nothing to do with the rate of return realized, that effects the absolute earnings in dollars.

I'm not saying that we should be able to invest our SS withholdings into something volatile and risky like Bitcoin, but there are safe index funds (similar to what federal government employees use for their 401k) that run circles around what the OASDI fund earns.
  • Aaron_K123
    edited April 2018

bj5v0vagnva8.gif

Yes, the OASDI does pay out funds, but that has nothing to do with the rate of return realized, that effects the absolute earnings in dollars.

I'm not saying that we should be able to invest our SS withholdings into something volatile and risky like Bitcoin, but there are safe index funds (similar to what federal government employees use for their 401k) that run circles around what the OASDI fund earns.

Well I don't know that that is for sure true but if it were true that the government could increase the holdings in SS simply by moving the investment to another holding and that that holding would be just as stable and that there was no reason not to other than corruption or laziness or bureaucracy then yeah that would be a problem that needs to be addressed. Clearly I have no interest (no pun intended) in waste or frivolity when it comes to my money....I just do believe there should be a government funded social safety net for retirement that is funded through an income based tax. How that money is invested I leave to economists and other people more knowledgeable than myself. Perhaps you consider me a fool to place that trust in which case so be it. I do respect your opinion here and I don't think it is ridiculous to be concerned about how our tax dollars are allocated so I can understand where you are coming from. I'd just say the battlefront is on how to invest, allocate and distribute SS funds not on whether or not SS should exist in some form.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

bj5v0vagnva8.gif

Given the nature of the fund, I'd expect the objective to be primarily stability - near-maximum risk reduction. There is no risk-free rate of return, but the 3-month T-bill rate is sometimes used as the closest actual proxy. Just by eyeballing a few points, the OASDI return appears generally to track slightly above the 3-month T-bill historic rates. ( ;) Wonder why that is - LOL!)

bj5v0vagnva8.gif

"Safe Index Fund" is an oxymoron. Some are safer than others (underlying investments in stable companies, well-diversified, etc.). They're still built on market investments, and they still have risk of various types. (Yes, I know some mutual funds trade in things other than market investments. Those are less common types . . . and they're commonly riskier, not less risky, than those built on market investments.)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

bj5v0vagnva8.gif

Given the nature of the fund, I'd expect the objective to be primarily stability - near-maximum risk reduction. There is no risk-free rate of return, but the 3-month T-bill rate is sometimes used as the closest actual proxy. Just by eyeballing a few points, the OASDI return appears generally to track slightly above the 3-month T-bill historic rates. ( ;) Wonder why that is - LOL!)

bj5v0vagnva8.gif

"Safe Index Fund" is an oxymoron. Some are safer than others (underlying investments in stable companies, well-diversified, etc.). They're still built on market investments, and they still have risk of various types. (Yes, I know some mutual funds trade in things other than market investments. Those are less common types . . . and they're commonly riskier, not less risky, than those built on market investments.)

Safe is a relative term. Any time you invest money there is an element of risk involved. In the context of investing, there are index funds that are much lower risk than playing the market and buying and selling individual stocks, so comparatively, they are safe.
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    There is more than one sort of risk.

Not losing your principle, but failing to keep up with inflation is a form of risk.

If the money is going out at a fast enough rate, you have to do more than just keep pace with inflation, you must drastically beat it to keep paying benefits.

If the number of those contributing keeps dropping, as we see happening with labor participation rates, you face even more than just inflation risk here.

But the bottom line is the first point, inflation is also a risk, which means even losing ZERO of your principle can put one in a risky position.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Efficiency and Economy. A best practice implemented at universities across North America is to require all students to buy a bus pass. There was some protest by students here in town who never intended to use their pass but it went through anyways.

Collectively the pass was deeply discounted. Transit ridership went up. Less use of vehicles/parking, and fewer emissions.

An enforced collectivism resulted in savings overall and an incentive to use a formerly underutilized service.

Social Security could not work based on an opt-in system.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    There is more than one sort of risk.

Not losing your principle, but failing to keep up with inflation is a form of risk.

If the money is going out at a fast enough rate, you have to do more than just keep pace with inflation, you must drastically beat it to keep paying benefits.

If the number of those contributing keeps dropping, as we see happening with labor participation rates, you face even more than just inflation risk here.

But the bottom line is the first point, inflation is also a risk, which means even losing ZERO of your principle can put one in a risky position.

Oh I mean I'd agree that SS as it current is implemented is at definate risk of faliure. That is just the nature of birth rates, people having children at older and older ages and the increase in life expectancy. Essentially fewer and fewer people making money to support an larger and larger retired population.

I think there are problems with the system, I just don't consider burning it to the ground to be a solution.

But there are two different topics in play here: Investment risk (which is related to investment return), sort of an investment technical term - whether OASDI is doing the right thing with "investing" those tax dollars; and the risk that the SS system will fail, which is using the term "risk" in the normal conversational sense.

OASDI is probably going for what would be classically considered low-risk investment strategies (to the extent you can say the money is invested in any normal sense); this "low risk" investment strategy could arguably help to increase its risk of system failure (because of inflation, in a context of breakdown of the historic assumption of population growth, life expectancy, etc.)

Regular humans sometimes fail at retirement investment by selecting investments that are too "low risk" - T-bills, CDs, money markets, etc. Fear of investment risk tends to limit investment return, historically, and leave one subject to inflation risk (a different technical term ;) ). But "past performance is no guarantee of future results", as the prospectuses warn. ;)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    And education.