How do I breakup with my sons ex?

Options
gettingfit65
gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
Any advice on how to kindly tell her I don’t think we should be chatting, texting, etc? I just don’t feel comfortable. It’s been 10 years since they were together but he has someone in his life now and I don’t want to feel like I’m betraying them.

Replies

• nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Just say what you just said in your post to her, simples. Job done...
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Is your son asking you to stop chatting with her? If he is, if your relationship with her is making him uncomfortable then yes, you may want to part, but if he's fine with it and has no problem, they why give up a good friendship, assuming it is a good friendship, of course... I would ask him what his thought are before you end a friendship that you seam to like.
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    Any advice on how to kindly tell her I don’t think we should be chatting, texting, etc? I just don’t feel comfortable. It’s been 10 years since they were together but he has someone in his life now and I don’t want to feel like I’m betraying them.

I'm trying to figure out why it's now, a decade later making you uncomfortable. I would have thought you would have come to that conclusion, well like 9 years ago?

At this point you're cutting ties with a long time friend so treat it as such.

Exactly. Unless not knowing how to break the ties because feeling guilty of doing so, she's a long time friend whom you communicate with over the years. Regardless of the breakup she and your son had.

It's not really up to him, or someone else, with whom you are friends with. Even if he's uncomfortable with it. Not his choice and you shouldn't be walkin on eggshells to protect him or his current GF/wife. If there's been something that his exGF did that you feel needs to break your friendship with her, that's another story.

I'm one who values my friends and even many acquaintances who I have positive interactions with. I don't believe in breaking a friendship because two people don't get along. It's a problem between them, not you and each of them.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Have you kept the fact that you have been in contact a secret from your son for 10 years?
    Have you at any point tried to get them back together or sabatoge your son having other relationships?
    What has she been to you? A friend? Aquaintance? Daughter?

I don't see why a relationship you have had for 10 years after your son's relationship broke up should be an issue or need to change.

• gettingfit65
    Options
    Thx everyone. He hasn’t had a serious girlfriend until this last year. He is aware because he knows we are friends on fbk, messenger etc. She broke it off with him when they were like 17. Crushed him. She wanted to try again after they were in their 20’s and he would have none of it. I told her you have to move on. She’s getting married in a month but it’s like she doesn’t want to let our family go even tho they are now 29. She FaceTimed me the other night.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thx everyone. He hasn’t had a serious girlfriend until this last year. He is aware because he knows we are friends on fbk, messenger etc. She broke it off with him when they were like 17. Crushed him. She wanted to try again after they were in their 20’s and he would have none of it. I told her you have to move on. She’s getting married in a month but it’s like she doesn’t want to let our family go even tho they are now 29. She FaceTimed me the other night.

Do you actually like this person as a friend?
  • justkris_gettingfit
    justkris_gettingfit Posts: 239 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    There is no kind way of cutting contact off with someone you've been talking to for 10 yrs. Rip the band aid off if you want her to let go of your family and move on, but give her your true reason for it and not this sudden feeling of betrayal. Because that should have happened 10 years ago when she broke your sons heart.
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Options
    Decide. Commit. Take action.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand why you can't be friends. You're all adults. I'm friends with my ex's sister and his mom. Everyone's fine.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I am still friends with my ex's mom (from 17 years old) and we have kept in contact for 20 years. I have been married and he is married - my friendship with his mother has nothing to do with him.

Also, my parents are still friends with my ex (from my 20's). No problem there either.

I don't see any problem
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 'I don't understand why you can't be friends' camp.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Does she ask you about him--try to get information out of you? If not, and you have things in common, then it's an OK friendship. Do you like her? If you un-friend her will you be sorry about it? These are all questions to ask yourself. The answers will guide you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’m going to assume you don’t pass on information about your son. I’m going to also assume you have enough in common with this woman to keep the friendship alive.

If that is all true, maybe ask to go out for coffee with this woman and her new mother in law. Maybe you will all end up enjoying each other’s company.

One worry is that this is a woman who likes to keep all her options open, just in case. That is not fair to you, your son, or her fiancée.

If face timing this woman is more a chore just tell her you are too busy at the moment. Stay busy.
  • gettingfit65
    Options
    Does she ask you about him--try to get information out of you? If not, and you have things in common, then it's an OK friendship. Do you like her? If you un-friend her will you be sorry about it? These are all questions to ask yourself. The answers will guide you.

Yah she always asks about the whole family and then usually about him. I just say everyone’s good.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My daughter got swamped with suitors as soon as word got out that she was going to be single soon.

One semi-serious suitor was a “keep my options open” sort of guy and as he was feeling her out as a possible mate he was also engaged to a woman in another city. After a while my daughter felt used and backed away.

I am a little concerned that this woman keeps half a candle burning for your son. It begs to wonder if any of the guys in her life are special, doesn’t it?

If you have to be firm and direct for this woman to catch a clue, do so.
  • gettingfit65
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    My daughter got swamped with suitors as soon as word got out that she was going to be single soon.

One semi-serious suitor was a “keep my options open” sort of guy and as he was feeling her out as a possible mate he was also engaged to a woman in another city. After a while my daughter felt used and backed away.

I am a little concerned that this woman keeps half a candle burning for your son. It begs to wonder if any of the guys in her life are special, doesn’t it?

If you have to be firm and direct for this woman to catch a clue, do so.

Thank you so much!! I feel you get what I am struggling with.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    CatsIvuE wrote: »
    Ghost him, accidentally send a selfie of you with another woman, tell then you don’t have time for them, change your number, change your name, tell them you died.

Or better yet don’t date your sons ex. What kind of father would do this?

:laugh: