Options
13»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    BohannonK wrote: »
    Again, had you worded your post sugar habits and wanting to reduce consumption and address triggers ( you don't have to divulge what exactly triggers you) then nobody would be objecting.

It is the incorrect idea of addiction and the inaccurate claims of your doctor ( or perhaps your misunderstanding of what the doctor said, we don't know) that people are objecting to.
    And perhaps your defensive attitude.

I am not trying to be defensive. I am reading every single post and taking suggestions into account. Some of been very helpful, some have not. I was simply trying to clarify what I am seeking, which is advice and support. But then I am immediately met with posts, some multiple, getting hung up on wording. I went back and to read what I said my Dr said. Perhaps my haste to keep my post short was the problem. She never said it gets stored in my stomach. She simply said that too much sugar, especially that which is drank because typically the grams are so high, gets stored in the body because it’s in excess. I didn’t go into it ALL. I spoke to this woman for an hour and was simply trying to be concise. I mentioned my stomach areas because it is rounder now than it ever has been. I also want to lose in my butt and thighs but again I was trying to be concise and in the moment was most annoyed by my stomach. But now that people keep trying to educate me on something and do it in a way that I am reading as condescending maybe I am getting defensive even though that is not my wish.

You don’t know me. I don’t know you. Some have made judgements about me based on wording. I have NEVER posted for support and advise or anything on MFP before. Within 24 hours a handful of people have made it so I will not be posting again. If I could figure out how to delete this thread I would so I don’t have to open my app and get met with the warning bell that there is a comment.

To those of you who posted suggestions, thank you!!! It’s a new week and I am going to try and tilt my attitude towards carbs and sugar in general. Onward!

Ok so now the doctor didn't say sugar gets stored on the stomach but excess calories get stored in the body.
    I don't think anyone would argue with that - but it isn't what you said before.

Perhaps it is not your wish to get defensive - but it is coming across that way.

Btw, if you want to stop seeing the notification bell just unclick it and it and then you stop being notified of additional posts to the thread.

Thank you for telling me how to turn off the warning bell. It’s not NOW my doctor says it, she said it initially I just didn’t explain it well. That was my mistake.

IF your doctor said that drinking sugary beverages can make you fat because it's easier to go over your calories, since alot of sugar can dissolve in liquids (I was amazed once when I made sherbert, I was pouring the sugar in, and it just kept dissolving), then he or she is correct. We usually advise people that want to cut calories to look at what thery're drinking and analyze that. It's usually an easy way to cut down.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hugs! And glad I shared. That sounds very similar, yes!

If it helps, for going cold turkey, here is what I do now, after having a number of failures under my belt.

First, I literally right now (seriously, I have had to re-do this far more times than I should have, sigh) treat my 'dropping all the sugar' diet as a kind of, hmmm, an illness that I know is coming. Because I really DO feel pretty awful, have brain fog, headaches sometimes, general body aches sometimes. It can just feel super crummy.

And with the crumminess, it's even HARDER to make safe food, to stay on the diet and resist going to sugar, because sugar made things feel better, you know?

So now, I try to pick a time where there's not so much stress, if possible. Like, if you have a serious deadline at work, or any family drama that you know will be done soon, it can be helpful to hold off on the diet change until that's done, because mentally, it's just so much tougher coping with lots of stress AND mental/emotional stress from the diet, know what I mean?

I try to make sure I am snacking constantly, as being hungry tends to make my cravings worse - for folks I've talked to, it just seems that knowing what makes your cravings worse, and trying to mitigate it, can help a lot if trying to avoid sugar. One gal I knew had worse cravings when she had too little sleep, so she was really conscientious about that when she was trying to avoid sugar.

And I also make 2-3 weeks worth of meals to eat and freeze them, to just defrost and eat. Then I plan out fruit, veggie, nut/seed, or other snacks that I can have in between meals, and prep them as much as possible, or pick ones like bananas that need no prep.

That way, I don't worry about not having the energy to cook anything, because it is already made. And when I was going off of sugar, for the level I went to...holy cow was there a lot of cooking. Because cereal, bread, and crackers had added sugar. And all the sauces and lots of condiments had added sugar. And most canned goods had added sugar, and many varieties of chips, and so on and so forth.

Oh, and another thing that helped was if I could find a recipe or two that I love, and make sure that was in my meal plan a LOT during my 'go off sugar' phase. Just emotionally, I found that very helpful to have that little bit of comfort food, you know?

Wish you good luck, and let us know if it helps you! :-)

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It sounds like you’ve tried repeatedly to give up added sugar and it hasn’t worked for you, have you considered that this might not be a long term sustainable approach for you, and looked for other alternatives?

Actually, it's more been a case of lots of initial failures, with very, very few recent ones. Because I slowly figured out what was causing the failures, and found solutions for them. I had one failure recently during a couple years with huge family upheaval combined with major health issues for both myself AND one of my kids, but frankly, everything including just doing the dishes was a failure during that time, so I'm not surprised that everything crashed and burned. ;-)

For me, to succeed at this diet, I just had to get over what I consider the problem for anything the brain treats as addictive: the idea that once you are off of your addiction for long enough, you are 'done' and it won't be a problem again. Except that's not how it works, at least for myself. Accepting that this is a truth for myself took me a while, but once I did, it's been a very different experience.

But re: sustainable approaches. I know that a lot of folks find all-or-nothing approaches to diets too extreme, but honestly, that's what I have to deal with day to day anyway, so it's not that different for me. I have celiac disease, so I can't have gluten or I'm very ill. I have food allergies, so there's another huge group of foods that I simply cannot have, period, no cheating ever.

Although to be fair, there are some milder food allergies I have that I can cheat on. It'll make me sick, but sometimes, you're tired or it's a hard day, and the slightly allergic food is tasty or easier to make, and so you cheat, and you regret it instantly. So I try to improve on that, too.

I would say that I view avoiding sugar similar to how I view the these milder food allergies, physical therapy, certain medications, or even certain medically inspired lifestyle changes: difficult, but necessary.

I know that sometimes, something being extremely difficult means it's the wrong choice. But sometimes, something being extremely difficult is just a fact of life that has to be accepted, because difficult doesn't always mean it's not the right thing for my physical/mental health, you know what I mean?

But it does mean that whatever I can do to make it EASIER is good, so that's why I have figured out over the years how to make it more workable for me. Not getting too hungry, making sure I have some pre-made meals for times of stress, gardening if I'm feeling stressed, etc...

Because I actually do lose the craving for sweets, almost entirely, when I'm off them for long enough. In the past, the sugar 'cheating' was typically in a social situation where there were others partaking of some food for a celebration, like birthday cake and such, so I had some to be social rather than due to a craving for the item. I can't do social food sharing due to the allergies, now, so that's ceased to be an issue, thankfully.

As for alternatives to a diet like this...I would be shocked if there is an alternative to this approach that I did not try. Could be wrong, of course, but seriously, I tried for YEARS to deal with this, in so many ways, with no success. I have tried meditation, and exercise, and a multitude of dietary changes and diets and mental practices and lifestyle changes - nothing worked.

Dropping sweeteners and added sugar has, so far, been the most successful of everything I've tried. Now, if someone came up with something I haven't tried that looked like it might work, I'd probably be willing to try it, but to date, I haven't seen anything that would qualify, you know?
  • MerryMavis1
    MerryMavis1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kohanai for encouraging me to not leave.

THANK YOU Shaumom and Elyseinchi!!! This is what I was poorly communicating. I feel awful and when I look honestly at the MFP Diary its the added sugars. The calorie count is fine but I feel tired, lethargic, kinda sick (hence me seeking professional help) and if I have ONE thing of sweet I'll eat the whole box. Then I feel guilty and its a downward spiral. (I'm not blaming my sugar cravings for everything it is just a trigger I've linked) Plus I turn 40 soon and so some of this stuff is new. I wouldn't say I'm eating MORE sugar now but it seems to be effecting me differently.

And the cravings, good gosh, the cravings. That is why i used the word "addicted". And my Mom and Nana struggle with it too, my sister must have better will power than me because she fights it off better. And I've tried low carb in the past and historically only lasted about 2 days. So, cold turkey huh? Ok. I'll try that and see if it works. I didn't do coffee creamer this morning which meant no coffee so half way through Monday for me and I've not had any added sugars. Just keep it up, right? Again, thank you so much for your encouragement and tips on what you've done.

Life is a journey and this is just part of my journey, but I'm wanting to eat properly to fuel MY BODY the way it NEEDS. Again, THANK YOU!

Just throwing this out there-have you had your D level checked? It's a very common deficiency and has symptoms like you're describing. It's a simple blood test and an easy fix (you can get an rx or an over the counter, high dose D3 supplement).
  • BohannonK
    BohannonK Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am going to think a lot about what you said about waiting until my life is less stressful. I can tell that when I am tired I crave carbs. Bread in particular. So I have tried to eat protein instead. However, I too am an all or nothing person. I have no delusions that going cold turkey will be easy. But for me and my family I feel like I've got to make the change now. Ya know? Maybe one day I can try moderation. But currently that isn't working. Like I said, I'm looking at the dietary changes not just to lose weight. Yes I want to lose 30-35 lbs but if I don't its not the end of the world. I'm trying to be healthier.

I know I have a tendency to stress eat if I can't go for a walk or do yoga or if I'm being too lazy to do those two things (which I always pay the price for). Its been a life long personality trait of mine to bottle it all up and hold it all in to the point of making myself physically sick. So now I'm trying to navigate life stress and I am hoping that if I can get the sugar under control and physically feel better that life's stresses won't give me migraines, shingles, vomitting... you get the idea.

Everyone has stress and I can't avoid it but I can try and fuel my body and take care of my body better to hopefully manage it better. I really appreciate you being so encouraging and sharing your failures and success.
  • BohannonK
    BohannonK Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you Kohanai for encouraging me to not leave.

THANK YOU Shaumom and Elyseinchi!!! This is what I was poorly communicating. I feel awful and when I look honestly at the MFP Diary its the added sugars. The calorie count is fine but I feel tired, lethargic, kinda sick (hence me seeking professional help) and if I have ONE thing of sweet I'll eat the whole box. Then I feel guilty and its a downward spiral. (I'm not blaming my sugar cravings for everything it is just a trigger I've linked) Plus I turn 40 soon and so some of this stuff is new. I wouldn't say I'm eating MORE sugar now but it seems to be effecting me differently.

And the cravings, good gosh, the cravings. That is why i used the word "addicted". And my Mom and Nana struggle with it too, my sister must have better will power than me because she fights it off better. And I've tried low carb in the past and historically only lasted about 2 days. So, cold turkey huh? Ok. I'll try that and see if it works. I didn't do coffee creamer this morning which meant no coffee so half way through Monday for me and I've not had any added sugars. Just keep it up, right? Again, thank you so much for your encouragement and tips on what you've done.

Life is a journey and this is just part of my journey, but I'm wanting to eat properly to fuel MY BODY the way it NEEDS. Again, THANK YOU!

Just throwing this out there-have you had your D level checked? It's a very common deficiency and has symptoms like you're describing. It's a simple blood test and an easy fix (you can get an rx or an over the counter, high dose D3 supplement).

I did have my Vitamin Level D checked. Along with thyroid and other things. We’re still working on it but this is something I want to change. Thanks
  • LeeBo_Photo
    LeeBo_Photo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lot of great information here. Thanks.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    To be fair, people were initially posting comments about the doctor when it had been stated that he/she said something which turns out wasnt what was said at all.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my weakness too. I eat too much candy. I'm trying to replace it with beef jerky and water and apple cider vinegar. It's been rough. 3 days in. I have a desk job

Why ACV?