Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    cleesus wrote: »
    Personally I'll get 600mi out of road shoes, and about 800 from trail shoes.

Also, in not a strong advocate of gait analysis. It has a place, but it's neither a panacea nor reliable.

I think its a lot better than newer runners just going out there and buying whatever

Gait evolves very quickly in newer runners. So if you stick someone on a treadmill prior to week 1 of C25K, and do the same thing six weeks later, you'll see a very different movement. Worse, as described upthread, run up and down the street.

So yes. Go out, buy a low cost neutral shoe that'll give you 200 mi life. After 8 weeks it might be worth it.

From a coaching perspective the is far more value in helping someone run with an efficient gait, than forcing them in to shoes before they've found their initial style.

I know that my own gait is significantly different on a treadmill than the road, or the trail.
  • mjolnir81
    mjolnir81 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I started running (at least 70lb overweight) I just bought some cheap Reeboks. They were around £25 and were great for me, I trained for a year and completed a half marathon in them. After a year I replaced them for a pair of Saucony Jazz 20 which cost me almost £100 but the difference was amazing! I love them and won't go back to a cheaper pair.

I had professional fitting at a running shop and bought the more expensive trainers from there. But you are under no obligation to do that. You could get fitted out and then go and buy the trainer that suits you online at a cheaper price. The sales staff were great with me so I didn't mind paying a little extra to buy the trainers at the time, but now I know which trainers suit me I will but online and get them much cheaper.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mjolnir81 wrote: »
    But you are under no obligation to do that. You could get fitted out and then go and buy the trainer that suits you online at a cheaper price.

I'd suggest that if you avail yourself of the service, it's appropriate to buy there.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Also, in not a strong advocate of gait analysis. It has a place, but it's neither a panacea nor reliable.

Glad I'm not the only one...