30 Day Splits Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @xelsoo the inifinity strap is awesome. we also use a yoga wheel to improve our upper back flexibility in class
    @mom23mangos the teacher in me cringes a little with that video. no bouncing. bouncing=injury. i know the video is sped up but still. the poses themselves are good. i like hamstring push ups but go super super slow. i would also add frog pose
    p0590b5jsnxh.png

video to aerial frog
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @mom23mangos CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Your butt has touched the ground! Haha. That's awesome, keep up the good work and have patience with your injured side, it will come along in due time..
    I'm so glad our group is slowly progressing :)

Are you managing to stretch on a daily basis, or almost?
  • xelsoo
    Options
    Finally had time (and no people next to me) to film progress pics! My left stretches are a bit behind due to having slightly pulled my hamstring. Forward bend with rounded back used to be my favorite but now it's painful so there's not much progress there. I do feel like figure 2 on my right side is way better even if in the photos you can't see. When I'm stretching I can tell I'm grabbing from further up my ankle. The rest, I can't really see much progress but hopefully this month will show more.

Day 1
    ai6rerh0xjki.jpg
    Day 40 -ish
    4bhmdeqzrxdh.jpg

Day 1
    x2tat1a9tz33.jpg
    Day 40
    wvp81aab39b1.jpg
    l6kc29sxv439.jpg

Pics for left and right are inversed, didn't realise this when I filmed today
    Day 1
    j3w2cbhgvf2a.jpg
    Day 40
    gmoil0meleya.jpg

Day 1
    y14y9qe8444u.jpg
    Day 40
    txp8gbvh8hzq.jpg
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Sorry that the hamstring is giving you trouble @xelsoo. I can definitely see a big improvement between your day 1 and day 40! Imagine how good it is going to look when you get to day 90
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i definitely need to get back to serious stretching. (and handstanding :wink: )
    i've upped my running mileage and my hip flexors are tightening. in the summer, classes get cancelled due to poor attendance. no students, i don't waste gas driving a half hour in to the studio. and i usually go for a run.
    renewing my commitment :smile:
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have not been stretching as much as I should be! The first performance for my show was Saturday. It was a great experience and I can't wait for the next one.

My goal for right now is stretch at least five minutes every single day. I can commit to five minutes and when I actually sit down to do it I know I'll stretch for longer than that.

Great progress ladies!!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I know, me either! I decided I was going to concentrate on my right side since it's so far behind my left. Usually I end up spending my more time on my left because it's easier. So now, I'm always starting with my right side so if I run out of time, it doesn't get left behind.
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Just bumping this up to see how people are going. I have been slowly grinding away at improving my splits/hip flexibility with daily yoga practice along with ballet and flexibility classes. Progress is slow but I am making progress. Still a million inches off the floor but I have seen a marked improvement in my pancake and butterfly which is encouraging.

I need to get some more progress pics rather than just my "feeling" that I am closer to the ground or bendier.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i'm still working but with my running i feel like i'm losing ground, but i guess my hip flexors are getting looser as my leg is getting more parallel to the ground in this pose
    5aywn46my3gc.png
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I see definite progress @mbaker566. I haven't been actually testing my splits, but I've been trying to incorporate more yoga and work on my right side more in my stretching. I'm hoping the new massager I just bought will help me get that nasty butt knot out and improve my flexibility on that side.
  • xelsoo
    Options
    Yep, there's progress alright @mbaker566. Especially the side you're less flexible on the progress looks more obvious to me.

I've been stalling a bit on improvements but I'm sure it's due to the decrease in the days per week I've been stretching. At least this has been good for my pulled hammie to recover as it's now way better.

It's been quite a hectic month but in a week and a half things will calm down a bit. Then i'll go back to stretching (almost) every day, I now miss it when I don't stretch! @TiisTitanium I actually also think I'm getting better at pancake too, which has always been my worst position by far. I've taken to holding onto something heavy far out in front so I stretch my arms to grab it and really stretch down. I didn't even take pics of it when I started the challenge as I thought it was a lost cause :D
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    How is everyone? I've been giving my right side some extra love hoping to get it closer to even with my left. I felt I was making progress until I took photos today and can't even really tell much difference from the very beginning. :confounded:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    my students have been noticing a difference. it took a little bit of wiggling but i got up into this. but still not flat.
    z0i3dcucpcu7.png
  • xelsoo
    Options
    That position is looking good @mbaker566 ! After seeing all of these pictures I was inspired to find a class of something like this and I found a 'circus' school in the outskirts of Paris. So I'll drop by and see what courses they offer, hopefully not to expensive, but being Paris it's a lost cause..

As for stretching, I've been slacking this summer and just maintaining, but I'm now trying to push myself again. I've realized when working out before work I'm usually rushed whereas during the weekend I'll stretch waay more. So this week I'm trying to plan a few extra minutes of stretching after my morning gym sesh.
    I really want to post decent progress pics!!

Good luck with the week everyone! I hope your stretching has progressed more than mine :blush:
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    Hope you enjoy circus school xelsoo. I know I love going to mine.

I've been doing my daily yoga stretching in the morning which is not fun as I don't like waking up early especially as it is winter in my part of the world so it is dark and cold. It does seem to be slowly working though. I am still miles off the floor in my splits but inching my way down :smiley:

One thing that IS improving with the daily stretching is my back flexibility.

jne1vweqnl5n.jpg

I can't wait till it is hot again. As we keep telling ourselves in our contortion class - build strength in winter, be bendy in summer.
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    I seem to have regressed some. I stopped working on my left side as much once I touched ground to concentrate more on my right side. It doesn't seem to have moved anywhere and my left is now back off the ground. SMH
  • mbaker566
    edited July 2018
    Options
    looking good @TiisTitanium

i see fly yoga in Paris. they look more yoga based as opposed to circus @xelsoo

it is a lot of fun. my hammock work is more yoga related. but on friday nights, my students and i play. we still apply yoga breathing techniques and such but that's when the hoop comes out and the circus moves come out
    this is a mix of pigeon, and inverted tree (yoga) with crossback (circus) ysmfa3fi0mg4.png

the video shows how far my "natural" splits are coming right at the beginning. we spend time in my class working on hip flexors and all the splits. hip flexors for me are the tightest because of running which is why i work on the head to foot pose that i post. we recently started making use of the wall scooching up on our bellies. plus on the back
  • mom23mangos
    Options
    Ugh, I fell off the stretching every day wagon and now my splits are way off the ground again. :confounded:
  • mbaker566
    Options
    the more i run the more it comes up off the ground. i've been running more. it's not great :wink: but i do practice weds, thurs, some fridays, saturday