I want to start weight lifting, but I am not sure where to start

Options
Qbaimee
Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
Hi everyone!
I want to start toning up this body but I am not sure where to start or how to put together a lifting program myself. Like how do I know, say on leg day, which exercises and for how many reps and sets I should be doing them for? and so forth with the other muscle groups.

I have googled and researched a ton, but each article I read says something different and it gets confusing to me.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Thank you in advance! :smiley:
Aimee

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    This thread should help, it contains a list of lifting programs. Many of them will tell you what to do and how to progress. If not, very knowledgeable people about many programs who can help you out!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • Qbaimee
    Qbaimee Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    @sardelsa Thank you very much for that information!
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym and got a trainer. I had no idea where to begin.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I would check out bodybuilding.com They have a lot of beginner exercise programs that includes pics and videos with descriptions
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I spent a lot of time researching programs before picking one, and that thread @sardelsa linked above was a HUGE help. A couple of other things to keep in mind:

- The key to building muscle (ie. toning up) is progressive overload. You have to keep pushing your muscles more every time you work out (or close to it), or you won't go very far. So you're going to need either a big set of dumbbells, adjustable dumbbells, or a barbell and a decent number of plates.
    - Beginners respond really well to progressive overload, so you can expect to see results with any of the programs at that link if you follow them consistently.
    - But you won't get big, so if that's a worry, don't worry about it. Women don't get big without a crazy amount of work and good genetics.
    - It's really important to follow the programs, including when to rest. Beginner programs are almost all three times a week with 1-2 days off between each session, and the sessions really don't need to take that long (less than an hour). Just because you can do more doesn't mean it's a good idea. Trust the programs!
    - If you're a reader, a lot of the books associated with the programs at that link have free samples on Amazon. Starting Strength is considered the barbell bible and is really worth a read for any type of lifting, although it is pretty dense. I'd also recommend reading through the series on how to design a workout at A Workout Routine - and then following an established program. The series is really good for explaining what goes into a good workout and why, though, which I found super helpful.

Good luck and have fun! I'm a recent convert and I freaking love lifting heavy things. It's great.
  • cazwood
    cazwood Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the Emily Skye workouts. You can get them for free to do at home. They have fairly detailed instructions for each exercise which is helpful. They are a combination of weights and bodyweight exercises but it's all strength training.
  • carolsoules
    carolsoules Posts: 34 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I started six years ago with Jamie Eason's Livefit Trainer. It's on Bodybuilding.com. Before, I'd never worked out--I was a debate team kid.

I'm now studying to become a personal trainer. THAT'S how much I loved it and THAT'S how much of a difference I saw :) It actually changed my life.

I think you have to pay for it nowadays, but it's not very much and it's so worth it.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    This thread should help, it contains a list of lifting programs. Many of them will tell you what to do and how to progress. If not, very knowledgeable people about many programs who can help you out!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

+1 for this. I started with StrongLifts and NROL, moved on to Strong Curves and Wendler's 531.
  • tammiepease
    tammiepease Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @Qbaimee ... I would do a self check.. What are you looking for as far as goals in weight training? Where do you feel you need the most work at? On what body part/parts?... Then go from there as to exercises that target the main areas you want to work on the most and the incorporate other exercises for the body parts that don't need as much work... I have been training for years, but there is always room for knowledge. I use YouTube often as a go to. I'm subscribed to Jeff Cavaliere (ATHLEANX), he is great he has degrees in several aspects of Health and Fitness as well as being a Physical/ Occupation Therapist. He breaks down everything in detail so that you understand the muscles and what the do and what's the best exercise and proper way to achieve the physical appearance you are looking for..... GOOD LUCK!!!.....
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

+1 for this. I started with StrongLifts and NROL, moved on to Strong Curves and Wendler's 531.

+2. Stronglifts, to PH3, to powerlifting coaching for me.