Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member
    jdog022 wrote: »

What would you guess your BF is at now and how low you want to go? When was the last time you dropped cals. What were they before drop

Concerned about the Fat statement. Do you get at least 50g?

I'd guess I'm around 13% currently. Unsure how low I'd like to go as I've never really been much leaner than I am now, definitely not in the last 10 years. Practically, lean enough to have decent ab and oblique definition,which I'm guessing is around 10% or less.

As far as calories go, planned maintenance turned into a short bulk 3/11-5/6 where I averaged 2750 calories. I tried to flip the switch to cutting <1800 and kept failing so I worked by way down averaging 2625 week of 5/13, 2300 week of 5/20, 2160 week of 5/27, ended up at 2393 for last week. I do get at least 50g of fat, target set for 60g at 1800 calories currently.

I know I need to hit lower calorie numbers, that's clear. I also know that trying incorporate other things without reigning that in will be futile. I feel like I would've still seen a little more loss of over the last week even just being in a slight deficit rather than maintaining of the slight regain that I saw. Compounded with the comments earlier today about others' TDEEs and them being higher than mine just got me thinking I'm leaving something on the table not existentially "doing more".
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »

What would you guess your BF is at now and how low you want to go? When was the last time you dropped cals. What were they before drop

I'd guess I'm around 13% currently. Unsure how low I'd like to go as I've never really been much leaner than I am now, definitely not in the last 10 years. Practically, lean enough to have decent ab and oblique definition,which I'm guessing is around 10% or less.

As far as calories go, planned maintenance turned into a short bulk 3/11-5/6 where I averaged 2750 calories. I tried to flip the switch to cutting <1800 and kept failing so I worked by way down averaging 2625 week of 5/13, 2300 week of 5/20, 2160 week of 5/27, ended up at 2393 for last week. I do get at least 50g of fat, target set for 60g at 1800 calories currently.

I know I need to hit lower calorie numbers, that's clear. I also know that trying incorporate other things without reigning that in will be futile. I feel like I would've still seen a little more loss of over the last week even just being in a slight deficit rather than maintaining of the slight regain that I saw. Compounded with the comments earlier today about others' TDEEs and them being higher than mine just got me thinking I'm leaving something on the table not existentially "doing more".

Honestly I think 1800 seems a bit low for you but there are so many factors. Do you think your TDEE is 2300? I think you just need to stick with it. Possibly up the Cardio a bit and just be as consistent as you can. My cutting plan is 16 weeks. Slow and Steady. Some weeks i felt I looked no different and others were a big sudden change. I kept cals high until I saw a stall. I dont think I will drop below 2100, id rather just up the cardio. I just do LISS (walking outside or stair climber) and listen to audio books.

I should add that getting to ten or sub ten is pretty miserable. At least for me. We are talking Stage ready BFs.
    Also I suggest a refeed every 1-2 weeks when working from 13% and down.
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member

You really need to work out if you are leaving something on the table. People can become complacent, I know I did.

I was working out, heavy lifts (for me) and in all honesty not really breaking a sweat.

My tdee at this point was probably around 2500 and I ended up cutting at 1800. This worked but was a bit tedious tbh.

New trainer starts in the gym has me using the elliptical or rower doing hit mainly. Weights are now sort of circuits or supersets although I still through in strength sets. As well as this I now walk 5-7 miles per day. Tdee now is 3500/4000. Makes cutting much easier.

Regardless now when I go to the gym the sweat is pouring off me and I feel like I’ve had a good session.

Not saying you are doing what I did and are as you say leaving something on the table but it’s easy done especially when you have lifted for years, you maybe talk to people in the gym (I do that) rather than just having a crazy hard session.

Anyway add some cardio, I lifted for years and never done any real cardio, maybe a little punchbag. It’s amazing how quickly you find some cardio fitness which is good for you as well.

Good luck
  • steveko89
    @jdog022, I don't think my TDEE is quite 2300-low; it should be 2450-2500.

I use a spreadsheet I found on reddit that back-calcs TDEE from daily calories and weight, tracking at 2480 over the last ten full weeks. I've been using it since last July and have found it to be pretty accurate; I was a doughy-feeling 185 around this time last year, found the spreadsheet, once I got about a month of solid data I lost slowly, but steadily through to mid January when I hit 170.0 on 1/14, However, my weekly average weight never got lower than 171.5.

For reference, this is a picture from right around that same mid/late January time frame awblfpa2g03i.jpg

I feel I look a little leaner than that now, more definition on my upper abs but still not much to write home about. Am I way off in thinking I'm <15%? Do you measure your BF% and how do you go about doing so?

I picked my calories and my macros based largely on this study:
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-20

The TL;DR for that found that a deficit requisite to lose 0.5-1.0% total body weight, 2.3-3.1 g/kg body weight protein, 15-30% fat, remainder in carbs was what worked in terms of body building preparation. So, I built a sheet with ranges in dropdowns, added increments to play around with the results. Settled on 0.75% BW loss rate, 2.7 g/kg protein, and 30% fat, which works out to ~1800 calories, 50% protein, 20% carbs, 30% fat, or roughly 215/100/60 grams of each.

Thanks, @Tic78. I'll take what you suggested into consideration. I work out at home, not at a gym so I don't have the issue of getting distracted talking with others but I don't necessarily get drenched in sweat. I've been making what I feel like is decent progress on most lifts for having been at it for a few years now so I don't think I'm "leaving something on the table" in that sense, I was thinking more from a strategy/technique/execution on the nutrition side. I don't really have an excuse to not do cardio, we own a treadmill, rower, and spin bike; they just don't keep my interest the same way lifting does.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Refeed day!!!! Hell yeah im pumped. Hit a low weigh in today again. 800+ grams of carbs going downnnnn
  • jdog022
    @jdog022, I don't think my TDEE is quite 2300-low; it should be 2450-2500.

I use a spreadsheet I found on reddit that back-calcs TDEE from daily calories and weight, tracking at 2480 over the last ten full weeks. I've been using it since last July and have found it to be pretty accurate; I was a doughy-feeling 185 around this time last year, found the spreadsheet, once I got about a month of solid data I lost slowly, but steadily through to mid January when I hit 170.0 on 1/14, However, my weekly average weight never got lower than 171.5.

For reference, this is a picture from right around that same mid/late January time frame awblfpa2g03i.jpg

I feel I look a little leaner than that now, more definition on my upper abs but still not much to write home about. Am I way off in thinking I'm <15%? Do you measure your BF% and how do you go about doing so?

I picked my calories and my macros based largely on this study:
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-11-20

The TL;DR for that found that a deficit requisite to lose 0.5-1.0% total body weight, 2.3-3.1 g/kg body weight protein, 15-30% fat, remainder in carbs was what worked in terms of body building preparation. So, I built a sheet with ranges in dropdowns, added increments to play around with the results. Settled on 0.75% BW loss rate, 2.7 g/kg protein, and 30% fat, which works out to ~1800 calories, 50% protein, 20% carbs, 30% fat, or roughly 215/100/60 grams of each.

Thanks, @Tic78. I'll take what you suggested into consideration. I work out at home, not at a gym so I don't have the issue of getting distracted talking with others but I don't necessarily get drenched in sweat. I've been making what I feel like is decent progress on most lifts for having been at it for a few years now so I don't think I'm "leaving something on the table" in that sense, I was thinking more from a strategy/technique/execution on the nutrition side. I don't really have an excuse to not do cardio, we own a treadmill, rower, and spin bike; they just don't keep my interest the same way lifting does.

I hate cardio too but it really becomes necessary as you lean out and bring down calories. You can only drop them so low and you dont want your body down regulating due to lack of calories especially a sudden decrease. I mean it will happen but you want to delay it for as long as you can. I have to imagine you would lose on 1800 calories but so early into the cut I think you would benefit more from 2k calories + cardio 3x a week. Then after a few weeks, cardio 4x, then after a few weeks drop cals to 1900+4x. Then 5x a few weeks later. Something along those lines adjusting as needed. In my opinion your cut is really just starting.

You dont have to kill yourself doing cardio. LISS is fine. HIIT is fine too but you need to make sure your legs can recover.

I visually estimate my BF but I hold very little stock in that. I am no expert. my male rule of thumb is 15% is one outline of one ab showing in good lighting first thing in the morning lol. 10% is full abs and sub 10 is stage ready.
  • steveko89
    Thanks, @jdog022. I’ve got further to go than I was thinking/hoping then.
  • jdog022

I dont know about that. Whats a couple months in the grand scheme of things? Enjoy the process and do not solely focus on being at the end. its much more enjoyable that way and on the plus side you definitely have the mass to look great at lower BFs. Your really not as far away as you might think.

• steveko89

I dont know about that. Whats a couple months in the grand scheme of things? Enjoy the process and do not solely focus on being at the end. its much more enjoyable that way and on the plus side you definitely have the mass to look great at lower BFs. Your really not as far away as you might think.

You're definitely right, it's clear I need to work on getting my head in the right place too, on a number of fronts. I've never felt particularly good-looking; growing up a paunchy nerd with glasses and braces sure does a number on one's self esteem. I'm easily in the best shape of my life from both an aesthetic and strength standpoint now at 29 but I often get discouraged struggling to see passed the areas that aren't "good enough" yet rather than focus on the bigger picture of how much I've improved since I started lifting in 2015. Not sure when it happened but I've mentally turned into a bro that does want to do cardio and just wants bulk to make some sick gainz, bruh.

I did up the intensity a bit this morning, shortening my rest times and hit the rower for 1000m at a decent pace after Squats and DLs. Glad I did so and was pretty gased by the time I was finished. Baby steps, I know. Thanks, again for the perspective, I was trying to put the cart before the horse and rush to get to a point where I could bulk in an attempt to appease my psychological sticking points.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    How do you all fit cardio into your routines? I am already having a hard time balancing it.

I noticed some increased fatigue and reduced performance in my lifts today. It could have been an off day but it is pretty unusual for me.. and the only thing I can think of that has changed recently was addition of cardio. Will I eventually get used to it? Should I back off the intensity of the cardio (I mainly do stairclimber and aerobics-type stuff, nothing like HIIT or intense intervals or even plyo). Or maybe plan it around my sessions better? I lift 4x per week, then cardio 2x per week. Because of how I train (legs legs and more legs) I find it so difficult to incorporate cardio, especially because I am using my lower body for everything.

What do you do, and have you found you have adapted to balancing cardio and lifting?
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How do you all fit cardio into your routines? I am already having a hard time balancing it.

I noticed some increased fatigue and reduced performance in my lifts today. It could have been an off day but it is pretty unusual for me.. and the only thing I can think of that has changed recently was addition of cardio. Will I eventually get used to it? Should I back off the intensity of the cardio (I mainly do stairclimber and aerobics-type stuff, nothing like HIIT or intense intervals or even plyo). Or maybe plan it around my sessions better? I lift 4x per week, then cardio 2x per week. Because of how I train (legs legs and more legs) I find it so difficult to incorporate cardio, especially because I am using my lower body for everything.

What do you do, and have you found you have adapted to balancing cardio and lifting?

My exact schedule varies week to week depending on what's going on in my life, but a typical week for me would look something like this:

Sun: rest day (walk/yoga)
    Mon: Lower lifting and crossfit
    Tues: Upper lifting and running
    Wed: crossfit
    Thur: Lower lifting and running
    Fri: Upper lifting and crossfit
    Sat: running

I have decreased my accessories for lifting. For example, on Mondays I do heavy DL and lighter squats; Tuesdays I do heavy bench and lighter rows and DB OHP.
  • sardelsa

My exact schedule varies week to week depending on what's going on in my life, but a typical week for me would look something like this:

I have decreased my accessories for lifting. For example, on Mondays I do heavy DL and lighter squats; Tuesdays I do heavy bench and lighter rows and DB OHP.

Holy smokes.. how on earth do you do all that? Lower body and crossfit or running in the same day? My legs would be toast. Am I doing something wrong or am I just weak? lol.. I don't even lift that "heavy" to be honest.
  • steveko89
    My plan is to do cardio immediately following my leg lifts on Tuesdays and Thursdays, like I did this morning. I may be a little pre-exhausted but I'd rather that than doubling up on leg recovery days. My (mostly) leg days are two lifts shorter by default and I keep squat and deadlift low rep/high weight so it doesn't take as much time or wear me out as much as the other days so it works out pretty well. I'm also not looking for more lower body size, I've always been a little bottom heavy and that doesn't look nearly as good on me.

Here's what I'm currently running, which started as PHUL, modified for MAV last week.
    - "Workout A" (Monday, Wednesday): Lateral Raises, DB Chest Flys, Bench Press, Barbell Row, DB Incline Press, Weighted Pull Ups, Knee Raises, Barbell Curls
    - "Workout B" (Tuesday, Thursday): Squats, Rear Delt Flys, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Russian Twists, Curls, Cardio (Rowing Machine)
    - "Workout C" (Friday): DB Chest Flys, Bench Press, Rear Delt Raises, Barbell Rows, Slant bench Crunch, Curls, Wide Grip Pull Ups, Upright Rows
    - "Bonus" (Saturday if I feel like it/don't have anything better to do): Squats, Deadlift, Bench Press, Overhead Press, Barbell Row, Pull Ups, Curls

For A, B, and C, everything but Squats and Deads in the 8-12 rep range. If I lift Saturday it would be <5 reps, probably only 3 sets of each. This is the first week I've tried this, so far so good, but I'll tweak as necessary.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    edited June 2018

Holy smokes.. how on earth do you do all that? Lower body and crossfit or running in the same day? My legs would be toast. Am I doing something wrong or am I just weak? lol.. I don't even lift that "heavy" to be honest.

The body adapts to whatever stress you put on it! That, and I am probably certifiably crazy.

ETA: I used to be a big time runner, these things are slow 2-3 milers, nothing to write home about. Also, I may or may not half-*kitten* a workout if I'm not really feeling it. Plus, I'm still eating 2800 cals.
  • sardelsa

The body adapts to whatever stress you put on it! That, and I am probably certifiably crazy.

ETA: I used to be a big time runner, these things are slow 2-3 milers, nothing to write home about. Also, I may or may not half-*kitten* a workout if I'm not really feeling it. Plus, I'm still eating 2800 cals.

Haha. Yea I cut out all cardio when bulking since it was just too much food for me to keep up with, I am easing into the cardio not just jumping in all at once but still finding it hard to balance.
  • dozenmonkeyz
    dozenmonkeyz Posts: 150 Member
    Kinda forgot to update since I'm technically off my cut plan but after 1 week ramping back to maintenance cals I've leveled off at 199Lbs. So, I'm calling it official at 17Lbs actual loss via 4wks rfl protocols.

Not going to post pics cause I don't really see enough difference to be worth showing off. The process did give me a much more realistic perspective of how much fat I'm actually carrying versus what I thought. A couple months ago it seemed like I'd be pretty happy at 200Lbs but now 185-190 seems like the place to go. Taking 2 more weeks off for R&R and then diving back into rfl for another 4-6 week phase.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Kinda forgot to update since I'm technically off my cut plan but after 1 week ramping back to maintenance cals I've leveled off at 199Lbs. So, I'm calling it official at 17Lbs actual loss via 4wks rfl protocols.

Not going to post pics cause I don't really see enough difference to be worth showing off. The process did give me a much more realistic perspective of how much fat I'm actually carrying versus what I thought. A couple months ago it seemed like I'd be pretty happy at 200Lbs but now 185-190 seems like the place to go. Taking 2 more weeks off for R&R and then diving back into rfl for another 4-6 week phase.

I have been in the 210lbs range for a long time (keep in mind for the last 18 months I have been doing powerlifting....so I have been eating A LOT OF FOOD). Was down at 191lbs about five years ago (and hawt dang....to brag a bit....those younger fellas did not stand a chance at all....not on this planet, anyway). At 205lbs now and really starting to focus on getting down to 195-ish.

Even at 205lbs (and - for my taste - way too much body fat) the ladies in the office made some comments today (I am wearing a shirt that is a lot tighter than I initialy thought and dang.....the smiles and the grins - which is actually quite embarassing for me....I am too old for that - NOT!).

You will get there. I know that 215 to 200 drop....lots of good work there - but not quite enough, right? But it - for me, anyway - really fuels the fire. You see the progress, you know that you can do it (because for God's sake you are DOING it).....I am pretty competitive and can't wait for the next two months to pass (but I am going to enjoy each and every day and LOVE THE PROCESS).

Enjoy.....now, back to the ladies! I kinda highjacked this thread! Sorry, ladies! Please forgive me.
  • jdog022
    edited June 2018

For the first several weeks cutting i stuck with my bulking program PHUL but obviously in a calorie deficit instead. I backed off on volume a touch. I did my cardio on Tues (Volume Leg day) and Wed (No weight day). My cardio is going for walks at lunch for 30-40 minutes. Nothing intense but brisk.

As I got deeper into the cut I upped my cardio to 4x a week, dropped cals, and changed my plan to a PPLPP. So I stopped training legs twice per week. To sore, to tired, cant recover. My Push Pull days are 45 min early morning sessions and again, long walks at lunch. Thats about where I am now.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2018
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So i started reading Lyle McDonalds RFL handbook... This diet is nuts but i might just try it.

For those who have tried it, is compliance as hard as it might seem? Or do you just push through it?

I just finished 4 weeks on it and found it challenging at some points but actually fairly easy for most of the time. It's so rigidly structured that you don't have much room for error. The entire point of it to most efficiently cut fat while maintaining as much muscle mass as possible. So, there isn't a set deficit or carb/fat value; it's as simple as ingesting the proper amount of protein and recommended supplements while reducing carb/fat calories to the bare minimum you can manage. It's not enjoyable - like it gets hard to choke down chicken and egg whites at times. But, in my experience, the results are undeniable. Top key's for me were:
    1. Read the book and take notes, review the website & forums, supplement with reddit r/psmf information, refer back to book, repeat. It's not a perfectly written plan and LM leaves plenty open to interpretation but most of that is minor details that don't matter much in the end.
    2. Have a solid plan. Know your meals/supplements for the entire week and DO NOT deviate.
    3. Follow LM's workout advice. More cardio than he recommends will stall progress and take a serious toll on the body. Lifting weights gets pretty hard and your volume will need reduced. I did a yoga class a couple times that wiped me OUT.
    4. Remember why you're doing this diet and trust the process to be worth the sacrifice.

Certainly 1 phase doesn't make me any sort of expert but I feel like I learned a lot running it so feel free to let me know if you have any questions and I'll let you know my take on it.

- Did you record your calories during those four weeks? What did you average?
    - How much weight did you lose over that span?
    I tracked my intake very specifically (other than 2 refeeds that didn't require close monitoring). Average calories was around 1400/day. Protein requirement was 220g/day.

Forgot to add, lost 16Lbs overall and I'm still stepping up to maintenance so the returning water weight hasn't shown just yet.

Also, I'll make my diary public for a bit in case anyone interested in the most boring list of foods possible lol

Thanks. I am almost done the book now. So I will probably read it next week while i am on travel again. Makes for a good airline read.

Thanks for the input.

ETA, i also have UD2.0 to read to see what i enjoy most.

Update, after reading UD2, i feel that will be a more appropriate fit for me. I almost done a 2nd read and am planning out my lifting routine and diet set up while i am on travel to Japan next week. 22 hours of flying (ome way) should give me more than enough time for a 3rd read and cross referencing my diet to the strategy.

But man those low cal low carbs days will be rough. Anyone have any tricks (fasting, etc...?) to help keep hunger at bay?

Last time i calorie/carb cycled those low carb days were rough.