Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Options

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    @sardelsa that's great to hear! From all the work you put in, it doesn't surprise me. Awesome job!

Thanks @Davidsdottir! I keep thinking to myself, do I really work that hard though? I feel like I just eat (or not eat) and throw some weight around in my basement sometimes. Maybe because I really enjoy the whole process :) Plus my goals are pretty basic to be honest which helps...not striving to compete or even look competitive or anything.

How is your bulk/recomp going?

I weighed in at exactly 140.0 yesterday, so I guess I'm doing well? I actually cut my finger at the gym and it's infected so I'm off lifting fora few days. I've been running, which is helping me do... something, I guess. Eating 2800 cals right now.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Thanks for the sentiment, @sardelsa. I'm guessing the four donuts I pounded Wednesday afternoon and general issues with calorie adherence is having more of an impact on the scale than the one time I got on my rowing machine for 10 minutes on Tuesday morning.

I do definitely have a self-judgement problem; it's inarguable that I've got a better looking body now than at any point in my life but I don't feel like it and can only focus on the areas that aren't up to par.

Hahah oh ok nevermind then :D But still sometimes I tell myself "oh I am just retaining water from salt or extra workout volume" (even when I know I overdid the calories during the week) and it does make me feel better about the scale and not discouraged!

Oh yea... I hear ya. I will have one day where I feel amazing.... then I hit some bad lighting... BAM... :'( I feel like when you start bodybuilding (even for fun) it can really make you overcritical of your physique.. not always in a positive way.

• sardelsa
    Options
    @sardelsa that's great to hear! From all the work you put in, it doesn't surprise me. Awesome job!

Thanks @Davidsdottir! I keep thinking to myself, do I really work that hard though? I feel like I just eat (or not eat) and throw some weight around in my basement sometimes. Maybe because I really enjoy the whole process :) Plus my goals are pretty basic to be honest which helps...not striving to compete or even look competitive or anything.

I weighed in at exactly 140.0 yesterday, so I guess I'm doing well? I actually cut my finger at the gym and it's infected so I'm off lifting fora few days. I've been running, which is helping me do... something, I guess. Eating 2800 cals right now.

Oh no.. that sucks! I hope it heals up quick and you can get back to it. I know it's so hard to take a break
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Oh no.. that sucks! I hope it heals up quick and you can get back to it. I know it's so hard to take a break

Thanks! It's a little gnarly and makes holding a bar kinda tough. I'm on antibiotics, so it'll heal soon...I hope.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Did a test keto day yesterday... *kitten* I already miss carbs lol. Actually going to spend the weekend looking at some recipes. Bought a bunch of shrimp, chicken and fish. Thank god i am a good cook. But i was able to do.a day at 60g total.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I was cutting, then I started doing strongman Saturdays at the gym. I love them so much, I had a two week diet and heavy lifting break (yeah I know strongman is heavy and taxing, but it is one day a week) to eat at maintenance and even slight surplus to get lift improvements (OHP one rep max is up now, cos log pressing). I keep getting the urge to get bigger, stronger, and less hungry every time I go back into deficit. So have decided to keep deficit low (250 cals per day) and lose the rest of my fat over the next 12 months or so. Aesthetics are coming second to my strength goals. I am at the same steady 170lbs mark which I have been hovering at for months now. Maintaining at 2750 (and slightly more) cals...goal weight is 140lbs. I do not do loads of cardio (just up to an hour of cycling 5 to 6 days per week, plus 3 - 4 days of heavy lifting)
  • melissab287
    melissab287 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I’m going on my first ever cut today and find that calculating calories is so confusing! I’m 5’7 and I’ve gained almost 30lbs - i’m now 128lbs with a 27” waist and 37” hips. I’d like to get my waist down to 25” ideally but not lose my bum! My bf is 17%. I’ve been eating 2150-2300 on a bulk, but when I use online calculators it says I should eat 1500 to lose weight but that sounds extreme to me so I was going to drop to 1900 cals and clean up my eating... hopefully it’ll work!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Did a test keto day yesterday... *kitten* I already miss carbs lol. Actually going to spend the weekend looking at some recipes. Bought a bunch of shrimp, chicken and fish. Thank god i am a good cook. But i was able to do.a day at 60g total.

Hahaha, ahhh welcome to my world (normal maintenance day) minus the seafood
  • melissab287
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m going on my first ever cut today and find that calculating calories is so confusing! I’m 5’7 and I’ve gained almost 30lbs - i’m now 128lbs with a 27” waist and 37” hips. I’d like to get my waist down to 25” ideally but not lose my bum! My bf is 17%. I’ve been eating 2150-2300 on a bulk, but when I use online calculators it says I should eat 1500 to lose weight but that sounds extreme to me so I was going to drop to 1900 cals and clean up my eating... hopefully it’ll work!

Waist measurement for the most part comes down to genetics.. if you don't have much fat in that area to lose, there is really nothing you can do but make other areas bigger to make it seem smaller. Even if you do have fat there, going leaner than you are now it may be the last to come off and you will be left sitting at unsustainable bodyfat levels or become underweight.

With your stats there really isn't too much to cut down to.. you could lose a few lbs maybe if you wanted to but if you are already 17% (provided that is somewhat accurate) that is already lean and going leaner may not give you the results you want. Even if you do everything to maintain the glutes they will likely start to come down as you get ultra lean.

Thank you for replying!! Edit - for some reason it didn't post the rest of my reply lol I'll try again:

I definitely see where you're coming from in regards to genetics - when I was thinner I had a 24" waist, but I was underweight with no bum and barely any muscle. Right now my stomach looks quite puffy with no visible abs even when I flex which is frustrating! Would you suggest I keep bulking and building my bum and hips for better results?

Also - not sure how accurate my BF is as it's just using the handheld fat monitor things at the gym which are a bit dodgy i think!
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Waist measurement for the most part comes down to genetics.. if you don't have much fat in that area to lose, there is really nothing you can do but make other areas bigger to make it seem smaller. Even if you do have fat there, going leaner than you are now it may be the last to come off and you will be left sitting at unsustainable bodyfat levels or become underweight.

With your stats there really isn't too much to cut down to.. you could lose a few lbs maybe if you wanted to but if you are already 17% (provided that is somewhat accurate) that is already lean and going leaner may not give you the results you want. Even if you do everything to maintain the glutes they will likely start to come down as you get ultra lean.

Thank you for replying!!

No problem @melissab287 . For me building more muscle really helped give me the illusion of a smaller waist. Here is what I am talking about.

fu0ni5rkhr6s.jpg

Left is before starting any bulk cycles, right after three.. about 20lbs between the two. On the right my waist is at least 2" larger.

This is true. You can gain muscle to change the shape of your body... it's kinda like the opposite of not being able to spot-reduce fat.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same, that instead of cutting I would be trying to gain some more muscle @melissab287, so getting your weight up to say maybe 134lbs, increasing the lean mass will help with your body composition and look...cutting even more when you have already been underweight (most likely with loss of lean mass as you have already pointed out by how you looked) will be detrimental, not beneficial...
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

Thank you for replying!!

No problem @melissab287 . For me building more muscle really helped give me the illusion of a smaller waist. Here is what I am talking about.

fu0ni5rkhr6s.jpg

Left is before starting any bulk cycles, right after three.. about 20lbs between the two. On the right my waist is at least 2" larger.

You definitely look better on the right.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

Thank you for replying!!

fu0ni5rkhr6s.jpg

You definitely look better on the right.

Thanks @fb47 .. it's also how much better I feel, how much stronger and more confident I am. Right me is much happier :)
  • psuLemon
    Options

Thank you for replying!!

fu0ni5rkhr6s.jpg

Awesome transformation..
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Hahaha, ahhh welcome to my world (normal maintenance day) minus the seafood

Yea, once i get back from vacation, i am going full UD2. So the low cal/low carb days are going to be super rough. But it makes me look forward to the high carb days. I figured its a fair trade.

Its funny, after the 2 days i was low cal and rougly 50-80 total carbs, i lost 3 lbs lol.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Who would have thought a torn calf muscle would get me started in the right direction for a cut? But it has, mainly since it's causes enough discomfort I forget all about being hungry and have to remind myself to eat.

mlyztlp30zcw.jpg

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Thank you for replying!!

fu0ni5rkhr6s.jpg

Whoa! What did you do to add muscle/padding to the outside of your hip bones? I have very narrow hips and would love to add some curves there. I feel like abductor doesn't hit that high up, but maybe I just haven't done enough?
  • melissab287
    Options

Thank you for replying!!

fu0ni5rkhr6s.jpg

Such an inspiring transformation, thank you!! What made the sides of your hips bigger? I've been focusing on deadlifts, bulgarian split squats and barbell hip thrusts to build up my bum but it's not hitting the sides, had a go on the cable machine for side kicks but didn't seem to work! x