Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Options

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yea I was reading up about UD2, sounds really interesting but since I don't track, and um, maybe I read it wrong but no caffeine on the high days, whaaaaaattt? :s I would die! And probably no alcohol I'd imagine. Honestly... I can't do it. I am like 3-4lbs away from my goal is it really going to make that much difference? Sigh. :/ I am kind of starting to get a bit discouraged because I am getting so close to goal and my bod is not there yet... let's hope those last few lbs help.

Ugh...all summer I have been 2-3 lbs from goal. I am 5'0" so the last few pounds really do make a difference. I am struggling - I had a job change where I am not on my feet as much so my activity level has dropped a little. Transitioning to needing fewer calories has been difficult. I am having hard time figuring out how many calories to eat. I keep adjusting calories/macros to try to find what will keep me satisfied. I am fine for a week to a week and a half and then lose control for a few days.

Looking back I felt most satisfied when protein was over 160 and fiber was over 50. The problem is that doesn't leave much room for fun! I do have several weeks coming up without parties/events to attend so I think I am going to try upping fiber and protein again to see if I can drop the last few pounds.

Oh yea those pesky last few lbs are the worst! Especially since I'd imagine you don't have a lot of wiggle room in your deficit. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Week 1 update....

SW: 182.5
    Week 1:181.8

Not too shabby. I actually feel pretty sore from my new workout, so I suspect there is a good amount of water weight currently. Starting week 2 today. So back to low carb/keto.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Week 1 update....

Not too shabby. I actually feel pretty sore from my new workout, so I suspect there is a good amount of water weight currently. Starting week 2 today. So back to low carb/keto.

Good stuff!

Are you following Lyle's workout programming too?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    I think I was being overly dramatic about my lack of progress (big surprise :p ) I just realized I am around the same weight (maybe 1lb less) than I was when I ended my bulk last spring. So there is progress. The problem is it is so minor that it is hardly noticeable, well except when I try on last year's shorts and pants and they don't fit over my glutes.. RIP :D
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Week 1 update....

Good stuff!

I am following my own. I have the file in: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683446/starting-lyle-mcdonalds-ultimatte-diet-2-0-question#latest
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Week 1 update....

Good stuff!

I am following my own. I have the file in: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10683446/starting-lyle-mcdonalds-ultimatte-diet-2-0-question#latest

Oh wow your spreadsheet is so pretty and organized! That is awesome :)
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm down from 213 to 200 since April 1. I'd like to give a quick "Thank you" to Sardelsa, MyFitnessPal and the other posters on here that provided the bits of knowledge I needed to make this work. A lot of it seems like common sense now, but I know i would screwed it up without reading here. So... Thank you!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Week 1 update....

Good stuff!

I am an excel nerd. So all my programs are like this. They even auto calculate volume and compare trends over week to week.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Week 1 update....

Good stuff!

I am an excel nerd. So all my programs are like this. They even auto calculate volume and compare trends over week to week.

Very nice. I am a mess I should probably start to pay more attention to my volume and strength increases week by week.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Week 1 update....

Good stuff!

I fancy myself somewhat of an excel nerd but I evidently need to up my game; that's a thing of beauty.

I'm just over four weeks out from the convention I have circled on the calendar and I've managed to drop my weekly average weight by a whopping 0.1 lbs over the last four weeks. Unsurprising as I've averaged pretty bang-on to TDEE over that span, some definite volatility as my weekends have just gone to crap since Fourth of July, I'm averaging four hundred calories/day more on weekend days vs. weekdays and both of which are too high. Part of me wants to beat myself up for not having my billed-avian aligned but the rest is saying it's ok that my version of paternity/sympathy weight is ending up in maintenance vs. cutting.
  • ellustiina
    ellustiina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I started bulk only few weeks ago in hopes of building more muscle.
    Planning to do a mini cut at some stage and then continue bulk. :)
    Will defo follow this topic !
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Still going here, hit 168.6 today one of my first goals. Here we weigh in stones, guessing in America it’s in lbs? Anyway that’s 12 stone. Mfp said that’s 25lbs so far, I do think I had lost a little before using this great app.

Next and hopefully final goal pre lean bulk is 165lbs.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    ellustiina wrote: »

Yea it all depends on how long you plan to bulk and how much you gain. I was going to do a mini-cut but decided against it and kept going (my bulk was about 7 months). I think if you are planning to bulk over 8 months a mini cut is a good idea to keep bodyfat at bay and make sure you are making optimal muscle gain.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Week 1 update....

Good stuff!

I fancy myself somewhat of an excel nerd but I evidently need to up my game; that's a thing of beauty.

I'm just over four weeks out from the convention I have circled on the calendar and I've managed to drop my weekly average weight by a whopping 0.1 lbs over the last four weeks. Unsurprising as I've averaged pretty bang-on to TDEE over that span, some definite volatility as my weekends have just gone to crap since Fourth of July, I'm averaging four hundred calories/day more on weekend days vs. weekdays and both of which are too high. Part of me wants to beat myself up for not having my billed-avian aligned but the rest is saying it's ok that my version of paternity/sympathy weight is ending up in maintenance vs. cutting.

Thanks. I have been designing and working excel for nearly a decade... A large part of that was designing templates to present financial data to CFOs of fortune 50 companies... So you kind of need to have your crap together.

Sadly, i didnt put overly too much effort into this template. My others include graphs and runs several meso cycles.
  • ellustiina
    ellustiina Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ellustiina wrote: »

Yea it all depends on how long you plan to bulk and how much you gain. I was going to do a mini-cut but decided against it and kept going (my bulk was about 7 months). I think if you are planning to bulk over 8 months a mini cut is a good idea to keep bodyfat at bay and make sure you are making optimal muscle gain.

Thanks for your opinion, will think about if I really need to do a mini cut.
    Planning to bulk for 7-8 months, so we'll see. :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Week 1 update....

Week 2: 180.3

I am happy with a little over a lb a week. If I can sustain that rate, I should be around my goal in another 11 weeks (includes a 1 week diet break).

I am actually surprised by this considering I missed workout after hearing something pop in my hip flexor on the first *kitten* move! Can't do legs, so I pushed hard on upper body. On a sad note, my gym is closed this weekend due to annual maintenance, so hoping I can play a bunch of tennis to help with burning some calories.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »
    I'm down from 213 to 200 since April 1. I'd like to give a quick "Thank you" to Sardelsa, MyFitnessPal and the other posters on here that provided the bits of knowledge I needed to make this work. A lot of it seems like common sense now, but I know i would screwed it up without reading here. So... Thank you!

That is awesome! Glad we could help out :)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Week 1 update....

I am happy with a little over a lb a week. If I can sustain that rate, I should be around my goal in another 11 weeks (includes a 1 week diet break).

I am actually surprised by this considering I missed workout after hearing something pop in my hip flexor on the first *kitten* move! Can't do legs, so I pushed hard on upper body. On a sad note, my gym is closed this weekend due to annual maintenance, so hoping I can play a bunch of tennis to help with burning some calories.

Nice weight drop! Sorry to hear about your hip, how are you feeling now?

I'm still going over here... weight drop is very slow and steady, but that is OK with me... visual changes are finally showing, woohoo! Started some new programming (still a 3-4 day full body glute focus) so far so good. Diet is.. well I think I might need to work on that a bit. I am losing weight, I do feel great... but I just feel like I need to moderate certain things a bit better ( :# ), also get more fruit and veg in and focus more on my protein intake on weekends (which get a little wild...so gotta work on that). :p
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Week 1 update....

Nice weight drop! Sorry to hear about your hip, how are you feeling now?

I'm still going over here... weight drop is very slow and steady, but that is OK with me... visual changes are finally showing, woohoo! Started some new programming (still a 3-4 day full body glute focus) so far so good. Diet is.. well I think I might need to work on that a bit. I am losing weight, I do feel great... but I just feel like I need to moderate certain things a bit better ( :# ), also get more fruit and veg in and focus more on my protein intake on weekends (which get a little wild...so gotta work on that). :p

Hip is slowly recovering. I played some light tennis and it held up well today.

My biggest thing is, I need to find me some good keto desserts or at least low carb. I honestly I have no clue how people do this long term... I miss fruit and I only keto 4 days a week. Come one Thursday... i got some fresh grapes, kiwi, mango and peaches waiting!!!!