Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I am in the final stages of tweaking my workout. Diet went pretty well this week on UD2, so i feel i can be compliant on it. Sunday i leave for Italy for work, ao after i get back, will be hard core UD2.

Oh wow Italy... how long are you going for? I hope you enjoy all the food, I am jealous!

Sunday through Saturday. We have a fairly packed agenda, so i probably won't have too much time to have free time. But hoping to get some good food.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Only one more week until a mini getaway, I know it's too late and I can't lean down that much or anything, but I do want to focus hard. I don't really need to do anything since all my dresses fit PERFECTLY.. but I really just want to give myself more of a cushion and debloat a bit so I don't look pregnant the whole time with all the foodz and alcohol, heh. ;)

I am finding really bitter foods are my secret to success this time around! I make an iced coffee protein shake, and between the unflavoured whey and espresso, it is really bitter... I find it kills my hunger like crazy. I don't know if it's the protein plus bitter combo but hey it works. I also incorporate 100% chocolate, salad greens like arugula, dandelion greens and radicchio which help as well. Has anyone else found this too?

• edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Hope everyone's doing well. Overall, I've been alright, but this perma-cut is just wearing on me. I finished June pretty well and crept my moving average down to right at 173 for the first time since March. However, since the fourth I've been really struggling with adherence and I'm averaging +250 cal/day over TDEE for the last two weeks. Holiday gatherings and work functions this week certainly haven't been my friend but they're things for which I should've/could've been better prepared and choices that resembled steering into the skid more than an attempt at mitigating damage. I'm waffling about just staying the course and trying to force myself to be more accountable or trying something like PSMF or RFL, not because they're magic, but because I feel like I'm not trustworthy to make the correct adult decisions and not eat like a kid who just got back from fat camp if presented with the opportunity to do so.

Any and all insight appreciated, as always. Curious whether those here think I need to be talked down from this ledge or just shoved off.

If you've gone 2 weeks in surplus, you could just go one week more at maintenance and then dive into an aggressive mini-cut of 4 weeks. From a practical standpoint, you could plan out all meals each week. That way there's no way you can lie to yourself about whether you have room for a beer or donut or whatever is tempting you.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I am about to start cutting in a few weeks, just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.. either currently cutting or about to start. Would love to talk about different techniques (calorie cycling, refeeds, diet breaks), macros, calories, program modifications (if any) that you go with while you lean down.

I am wrapping up a 7 month bulk where I gained13-14lbs. I will probably cut for about 3 months, to lose 6-8lbs

I am going to spend about a week at maintenance tapering the calories down, then go into a fairly slower cut... 0.5lb per week or so. I usually keep my protein at 1-1.2g per lb, and I calorie/carb cycle, so I have two low days, three moderate days and two high days. I don't track very often (the odd meal or just protein sometimes) so it is mostly a guesstimate. I am going to try to implement more diet breaks this time, at least one in the middle to give myself a bit of a break.
    My training I keep about the same, maybe do a bit more strength, but I don't touch it too much.

Curious to know what you all do!

Im not gonna pretend like I know all of this, but this may seem like a super dumb question but why do people bulk?
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Hey all,

I am about to start cutting in a few weeks, just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.. either currently cutting or about to start. Would love to talk about different techniques (calorie cycling, refeeds, diet breaks), macros, calories, program modifications (if any) that you go with while you lean down.

I am wrapping up a 7 month bulk where I gained13-14lbs. I will probably cut for about 3 months, to lose 6-8lbs

I am going to spend about a week at maintenance tapering the calories down, then go into a fairly slower cut... 0.5lb per week or so. I usually keep my protein at 1-1.2g per lb, and I calorie/carb cycle, so I have two low days, three moderate days and two high days. I don't track very often (the odd meal or just protein sometimes) so it is mostly a guesstimate. I am going to try to implement more diet breaks this time, at least one in the middle to give myself a bit of a break.
    My training I keep about the same, maybe do a bit more strength, but I don't touch it too much.

Im not gonna pretend like I know all of this, but this may seem like a super dumb question but why do people bulk?

Combined with a proper lifting program it’s the fastest way to add muscle mass. The only other option is what is called a “recomp” or body recomposition. Not much use for a skinny guy (or gal) trying to get jacked as you maintain whatever your current weight may be.

Bulking is just eating enough of a surplus so you have the materials to build mass and muscle. Of course, you add fat too - which is why people also “cut” ;)
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Hey all,

As mentioned... people bulk to add muscle mass/gain weight/build their frame/work on their body composition.

I personally started bulking because I was at the bottom of a healthy weight and was so tiny with no shape I had nowhere else to go... so I had to start gaining weight. After my first bulk I was hooked. While it is not a fast or easy process, the body composition changes I have seen have been incredible. I don't compete nor do I look like a bodybuilder but I have built my dream body from the ground up. It has been very rewarding and fun for me. However, bulking is not for everyone as it can be a very mentally and physically taxing process.
  • EmbeeKay
    EmbeeKay Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    So my weight drop has leveled off, I haven't lost any more on the scale since I posted a couple weeks ago, but we've also had a couple trips and family events where my diet has not been on track. It's funny, I thought summer would be an easy time to cut, so much fresh produce and fresh air, but it occurs to me now, unless I lock myself into the house for a few months, cutting won't come easily any time of the year :-) I lowered my calories this week to compensate for a diet break last week when we were on vacation. Two days into a lower deficit and I feel good. The real struggle is like 5 days into a bigger deficit, then my body settles in. Sometimes I almost dread a vacation because even though I try my best to stay on track, it still throws me off so much and it takes so much time to get back into routine afterward. (But only *almost*- it was a great time.)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I started my cut 2 months ago with the objective of losing 1 pound per week, but I notice lately my strength has gone down. I increased it with the aim now of losing 0.5 lbs/week. I think on my next cut, I'll start off right away at 0.5 lbs / week weight loss rate, it may take me longer to reach my goal weight, but I prefer maintaining my strength than losing it.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Yea @EmbeeKay summer is hard. I can only handle a 0.5-0.75lb per week deficit somewhat comfortably...any more than that and I am not a happy camper (like right now for example) :D

@fb47 Unless you have a competition or something coming up, then yea you don't really have to rush (I mean you don't want to take a year to cut or anything, but 0.5lb per week is great rate of loss in my books)
  • fb47
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Yea @EmbeeKay summer is hard. I can only handle a 0.5-0.75lb per week deficit somewhat comfortably...any more than that and I am not a happy camper (like right now for example) :D

@fb47 Unless you have a competition or something coming up, then yea you don't really have to rush (I mean you don't want to take a year to cut or anything, but 0.5lb per week is great rate of loss in my books)

I am thinking of sticking in a 10 lbs range, bulking till I hit 170 lbs and cutting until 160. The first month of a cut, I would go at maybe 1lbs per week and then stick with 0.5 lbs after. Best of both worlds since I'll be losing a lot of weight in the first month, because of water weight and then I would have like 4-5 lbs to lose at 0.5 lbs per week.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

I am thinking of sticking in a 10 lbs range, bulking till I hit 170 lbs and cutting until 160. The first month of a cut, I would go at maybe 1lbs per week and then stick with 0.5 lbs after. Best of both worlds since I'll be losing a lot of weight in the first month, because of water weight and then I would have like 4-5 lbs to lose at 0.5 lbs per week.

Yea that's a good way to do it, typically the leaner you are the harder it gets and a slower loss when you are close to the end and down to the grind can help.

I am doing a 4 day ultra mini-cut from my cut. :p So basically going a bit aggressive just to drop some wata and extras... kind of pointless since I will be on a plane on Friday... and I will eat all the things shortly after, we will see how it goes
  • fb47
    Options

Yea that's a good way to do it, typically the leaner you are the harder it gets and a slower loss when you are close to the end and down to the grind can help.

I am doing a 4 day ultra mini-cut from my cut. :p So basically going a bit aggressive just to drop some wata and extras... kind of pointless since I will be on a plane on Friday... and I will eat all the things shortly after, we will see how it goes

Enjoy your trip to my hometown ;)
  • sardelsa
    Options

Enjoy your trip to my hometown ;)

Yeeee I know! Thanks I will ;)
  • Tic78
    Tic78 Posts: 232 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    On first proper cut, have went down on weight previously but I’m doing everything to maximise my cut this time.

9.5 weeks in down from 187lbs to 171lbs. After first weeks lose (water weight) it has been 1.6lb week loss at max and 0.4lb week at minimum loss. Generally about 0.8-1lb per week.

Anyway I’m getting a bit disheartened tbh I was the exact same on my last cut, when I got to 170 i snapped I reverted to a bulk which was far to fast and worked my way quite quickly back to that 187lbs.

Today in the gym someone said to me you’re looking so well, very lean, have lost so much weight. Great I thought till they said it again and pointed to their traps, shoulders and biceps :'( on fairness they did also point to their belly.

Anyway when I think about it at 187lbs or when closer previously to 200lbs my muscles are pushing out from my t shirt, particularly the arms/shoulders and I guess in some way the belly.

Is this just because at a higher body fat the muscle has extra flab that makes it appear bigger?

In fairness they weren’t trying to be disrespectful, this persons goal is to be slim, where my goal is to be ripped.

Being in a 10 week deficit what’s anyone’s thoughts on muscle fullness? Like I’ve read something about water depletion and being in a deficit for a longer term can result in less pumps and fullness but that when you go back to maintenance that fullness returns.

I feel like I’m not lean enough yet and really just looking for encouragement to push through. I want to be ripped once in my life and then go to a slow surplus.

Has anyone else noticed muscles going a bit flat in a way? Is that just something to push through to get to the ultimate goal? Is it something as daft as I should dump the large t shirts and go for a medium lol
  • sardelsa
    Options
    @Tic78 I find at a higher bodyfat some of my muscles seem to pop or look larger/bulkier because of the fat on top. Sometimes as you lean down, the muscles can start to look flat especially if you are cutting carbs. This happens to me but usually right at the end when I am very lean. I do find I look better when I return to maintenance after a cut, the muscles are fuller and I look better.

And yea if your clothes aren't fitting you right, which is very normal during a cut, go down a size so they fit you. You will look better and feel more confident.
  • Tic78
    Options
    @Tic78 I find at a higher bodyfat some of my muscles seem to pop or look larger/bulkier because of the fat on top. Sometimes as you lean down, the muscles can start to look flat especially if you are cutting carbs. This happens to me but usually right at the end when I am very lean. I do find I look better when I return to maintenance after a cut, the muscles are fuller and I look better.

And yea if your clothes aren't fitting you right, which is very normal during a cut, go down a size so they fit you. You will look better and feel more confident.

Hi thanks for the reply. The comment just made me worried I’m burning muscle instead of fat.

In theory I have been hitting my macro goals for almost a year now. I always make sure to hit my protein and fat minimums and let carbs fall where they will but in general my daily carb intake is 125-175g. Not sure if that’s classed as low carb, guess perhaps during a cut? Like when I go back to a bulk or maintenance then it’s just carbs I will be increasing at first.

Guess I just needed to vent. Not sure why I always crumble at this weight, I would say at most I have another 5-6lbs to lose.

Last time I was here I added creatine and the initial water weight pushed me over the edge, guess these things affect you when you’re a scale watcher like me.

So the plan is lose another 5-6lbs, add creatine, let the water weight settle, reverse diet adding 100 or so cals a week back to maintenance. Rather than bumping the cals 1000 extra per day :D and freaking out when that weight rushes back on!

Good luck everyone on their cuts
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Tic78 wrote: »

Hi thanks for the reply. The comment just made me worried I’m burning muscle instead of fat.

In theory I have been hitting my macro goals for almost a year now. I always make sure to hit my protein and fat minimums and let carbs fall where they will but in general my daily carb intake is 125-175g. Not sure if that’s classed as low carb, guess perhaps during a cut? Like when I go back to a bulk or maintenance then it’s just carbs I will be increasing at first.

Guess I just needed to vent. Not sure why I always crumble at this weight, I would say at most I have another 5-6lbs to lose.

Last time I was here I added creatine and the initial water weight pushed me over the edge, guess these things affect you when you’re a scale watcher like me.

So the plan is lose another 5-6lbs, add creatine, let the water weight settle, reverse diet adding 100 or so cals a week back to maintenance. Rather than bumping the cals 1000 extra per day :D and freaking out when that weight rushes back on!

Good luck everyone on their cuts

Believe me, what you are going through is so normal. When I start to get close to the same weight I was before I PANIC because I feel like I look the same (or very similar)... comparing progress photos can help reassure you. Also, this whole process is very slow. It is like taking 10 steps forward, and 8 steps back... and you almost feel back where you started... but with time... 2 steps + 2 steps + 2 steps.... it adds up. :)
  • Tic78
    Options

Believe me, what you are going through is so normal. When I start to get close to the same weight I was before I PANIC because I feel like I look the same (or very similar)... comparing progress photos can help reassure you. Also, this whole process is very slow. It is like taking 10 steps forward, and 8 steps back... and you almost feel back where you started... but with time... 2 steps + 2 steps + 2 steps.... it adds up. :)

Thank you for the motivation. I will keep going and put more faith in the process B)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    @tic78, I am/have been in the same boat, coincidentally at a very similar weight range. I get the most compliments/comments about looking like I've been working out when I'm 180-185 and generally like how I look when clothed. Of course what everyone else doesn't see/perceive is how much fat is contributing to that size and the soft areas that only show when the clothes come off. I also struggle to get below 170 and have started ill-conceived bulks from there in the past as well. Being overweight through most of adolescence I used to struggle mentally with eating enough to appropriately build muscle which hindered my gains as a beginner, now I find the opposite is true, as you described, that psychologically my big concern now is feeling too small and feel the pull to shift into a bulk. It's definitely a grind some days but the evidence is there to support getting to a low body fat percentage before starting a bulk that you just have to practice patience and trust the process.

FWIW, I definitely agree with Stef that going down a size will shift the perception of your size. Since getting into better shape over the last few years I prefer my clothes to fit a little snug and wear a small in most brands but others often guess I wear mediums or larges (40-42" chest, 32' waist).
  • Tic78
    Options
    @steveko89 I agree with everything you have said, it’s funny when I’ve seen your previous posts I felt that we are at a very similar place in terms of weight and mindset.

The t shirt comment wasn’t me being really serious, I was always a large and always in the main carried my body fat mainly on the stomach and lower back rather than on the arms or legs. I guess that extra 15lbs or so did help make what muscles I have stick out further but as you say it’s really just extra body fat and prob actually going down a size or so will make me look bigger again or at least feel better.

Totally agree about being over weight previously. I need to make this the last time for major weight loss without my weight fluctuating so much. If I can get down and just work on a slow 10lb bulk I will be happy.

How is you’re cut going? Do you take creatine?