Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Options

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Entered my holiday season where I stop logging. We will see how this goes, lol.

Great minds. I’m tired of logging. I usually maintain ok over the holidays. I try and do a bit more cardio as I only have access to a hotel gym for a week.

I've been over logging since 2015 :D .. sometimes I log a day, a meal, a food, only main protein sources. Now I can't be bothered to add anything into my diary

I want to stop eventually. I only log when I’m losing. I need it to make sure I’m in a deficit it’s too easy for me to forget what snacks I’ve eaten. I find it extremely tedious as well.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Entered my holiday season where I stop logging. We will see how this goes, lol.

Great minds. I’m tired of logging. I usually maintain ok over the holidays. I try and do a bit more cardio as I only have access to a hotel gym for a week.

I've been over logging since 2015 :D .. sometimes I log a day, a meal, a food, only main protein sources. Now I can't be bothered to add anything into my diary

I want to stop eventually. I only log when I’m losing. I need it to make sure I’m in a deficit it’s too easy for me to forget what snacks I’ve eaten. I find it extremely tedious as well.

Same here. I am actually pretty good as maintaining my weight without logging, but suck donkey *kitten* when it comes to losing weight.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @sardelsa

I see your progress photos (amazing by any standard)
    I read your most recent post (I realize you're venting)

It sounds and looks to me like you are just suffering from perfectionism as we all do.

You can find peace in knowing that it's not you, your body comp, your diet, exercise etc... There is nothing you're doing wrong... Again you look fantastic

It's just you being a perfectionist... And you can't improve on perfection 😘
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Mr_Healthy_Habits you are too kind. I definitely put high expectations on myself and sometimes it's a good thing since it pushes me to be my best, but I can also be my worst enemy :s I will get my strength and physique back, just have to be patient and take it one step at a time
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Things on my end are going... alright. Kind of. I am being hard on myself, I know. :/ I keep comparing my progress to after my second pregnancy. I felt like I just bounced back faster body composition-wise, even though I gained less and was more fit (at least I felt like it) this third time around. And I'm worried I won't get my post-pregnancy body back. Probably has to do with my gym progress (or lack of) as well as my diet. While I am in a deficit, I really need to up my protein intake as well as eat more nutritious. I hate how my weight is going down but I am just not seeing it... that freaks me out. I feel like as I get closer and closer to my "goal" and my body comp is not where it should be it makes me go crazy and feel like I am doing everything wrong. I know, just had a baby, I know I know. :/

Also I know it will be the best thing for me but I am TERRIFIED to recomp (which I hope to start some time in January). It's funny because I can run bulk/cuts no problem. But maintain at a body composition I am not happy with and hope that I make progress? Nope. It freaks me out. I feel like I am going to spin my wheels and waste time. I know it is irrational, probably how others feel about gaining. I know I can always cut if I have to, I am trying to remember that this is the best thing for me right now and to trust the process.

To be honest, i am not a huge fan of recomps either. If you aren't consistent, it often ends in being sad over the results. Given most good recomps are 12-18 months, its a lot of time to waste.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Things on my end are going... alright. Kind of. I am being hard on myself, I know. :/ I keep comparing my progress to after my second pregnancy. I felt like I just bounced back faster body composition-wise, even though I gained less and was more fit (at least I felt like it) this third time around. And I'm worried I won't get my post-pregnancy body back. Probably has to do with my gym progress (or lack of) as well as my diet. While I am in a deficit, I really need to up my protein intake as well as eat more nutritious. I hate how my weight is going down but I am just not seeing it... that freaks me out. I feel like as I get closer and closer to my "goal" and my body comp is not where it should be it makes me go crazy and feel like I am doing everything wrong. I know, just had a baby, I know I know. :/

Also I know it will be the best thing for me but I am TERRIFIED to recomp (which I hope to start some time in January). It's funny because I can run bulk/cuts no problem. But maintain at a body composition I am not happy with and hope that I make progress? Nope. It freaks me out. I feel like I am going to spin my wheels and waste time. I know it is irrational, probably how others feel about gaining. I know I can always cut if I have to, I am trying to remember that this is the best thing for me right now and to trust the process.

To be honest, i am not a huge fan of recomps either. If you aren't consistent, it often ends in being sad over the results. Given most good recomps are 12-18 months, its a lot of time to waste.

Yea that's the thing my recomp is going to be 6-7 months at best. Probably not enough time to do anything. I'm still losing at this point but willing to give it a try before I start my next bulk.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options

It’s tough with a baby. I took years to lose my baby weight and you already look great. It’s easy to be hyper critical of oneself. Especially through the lens of sleep deprivation.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    One benefit of little to no holiday parties for me this year:

5489q1zci4y1.jpg

Nice!
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    One benefit of little to no holiday parties for me this year:

5489q1zci4y1.jpg

th?id=OGC.4674cdf6c6f1e1978b521de34441bd91&pid=Api&rurl=https%3a%2f%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fwlEbQWBACxH0Y%2fgiphy.gif&ehk=a5istWTyz5Ip6aFjmcwoelc6RipmUPDkc8CBLz%2fZPe4%3d
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

Spot on with my current situation, leveling back to maintenance can be much more challenging than can getting ripped could ever be! Little known fact :)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    edited December 2019
    Options
    As for myself...

I'm pretty much holding steady, still up about 5lbs from that last cut 174—175lbs, probably just the muscles resaturating from the initial depletion...

Have allowed myself a bit extra hear and there compared to what I'd normally eat so I'm not losing or gaining really...

Waist is more or less the same, abdomen and suprailiac pinches are the same... Although I think I see a little more definition in the mirror 👀...

Ultimately I'd like to get bigger but that's not going to happen without gaining weight, and I'm not so worried about seeing the number on the scale rise...

However what I am scared to death of seeing is the waist line I've worked so hard for, increasing... Which is going to be very difficult to maintain while gaining weight...

It's likely going to take a level of dedication, sacrifice and insanity frankly that I just don't think I can give atm...

And at some point, I have to let myself be okay with what I've accomplished...
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    @Mr_Healthy_Habits sounds like you are doing well, gotta love those subtle mirror changes!
    It is definitely a mind trip, especially for someone like you who lost so much weight, it can be triggering in a way. Honestly, you look absolutely fantastic. You could definitely maintain as you are, or if you want do small increases then small cuts when you feel even slightly uncomfortable. I typically don't recommend this to people that really need or want to gain, but if you are just after some gold sprinkles on your sundae, taking it slow and steady could be a good plan for you!

Thanks for all that, tbh when you use to weigh as much as I did, the kind words mean a lot...

That's pretty much the unconscious plan atm. I've always thought the key for me is going to largely be leg work, the more legs I can do, the more weight I can gain while staying relatively lean. Although I've asked a lot of my knees already so I have to protect them as much as I can as well...

See you on the dance floor 😉

• Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    Well I'm up about 3lbs over the weekend, not bad really all things considered...

I haven't taken a tape measure to my waist or calipers yet and will wait until after this week to get the water off...

Although I did use my new skulpt aim and the interesting thing is that despite my weight going up a few pounds, my bf% has trended down about a 1%...

Which actually makes a lot of sense, if the extra weight is just water being stored in the muscle, then you would expect to see your bf% drop, considering you now have extra mass in the muscle tissue...

However my bf scale has always told me every time my weight has gone up over a weekend like this that it is body fat... Which never really made sense, and the calipers basically tell me no change. However with loose skin I don't have a lot of faith in the calipers, changes happen so slowly and it gives you a range that's difficult to trend...

Hence why I bought the skulpt aim... It's got its problems but it's pretty consistent... And now after seeing my bf level decline a hair after some weekend weight gain, which I always suspected should happen... I kind of have a new outlook on it...

• sardelsa
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @Mr_Healthy_Habits what is the skulpt, is it a type of scale? I never trust my bf% readings, they are all over the place. So if anyone asks I usually say 75% :)

Of course I am down 3lbs after the holidays, mostly because of sporadic workouts and eating one large meal a day. So not really a good thing. I am excited to try some new things though. Starting in Feb I have decided to try to recomp. I don't expect much, but maybe muscle memory along with some focused workouts will do something! The only issue (and I hate to complain about this....) but my intake. In order to maintain is going to be a lot of work for me, so my already high maintainance cals plus breastfeeding... it's actually crazy. It's going to be tough, but at least I'm not bulking! ;)
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Options
    @Mr_Healthy_Habits what is the skulpt, is it a type of scale? I never trust my bf% readings, they are all over the place. So if anyone asks I usually say 75% :)

Of course I am down 3lbs after the holidays, mostly because of sporadic workouts and eating one large meal a day. So not really a good thing. I am excited to try some new things though. Starting in Feb I have decided to try to recomp. I don't expect much, but maybe muscle memory along with some focused workouts will do something! The only issue (and I hate to complain about this....) but my intake. In order to maintain is going to be a lot of work for me, so my already high maintainance cals plus breastfeeding... it's actually crazy. It's going to be tough, but at least I'm not bulking! ;)

@sardelsa
    Be careful about what you say... You're going to have half of mfp shooting for 75% then 😉

It's a handheld body fat and muscle quality tester, you can use it to get a bf percentage on like 24 different muscles and it gives you an overall percentage as well... It also has a quick test that just measures 3pts, triceps, abs, and thigh...

From what I've found the overall test is usually about 1% less than the quick test... But several people have videos on YouTube where it comes within 1% of a dexa scan... Sometimes it's off so you usually have to go with the second reading, or keep scanning until you get pretty close numbers...

It works like crap tho, poor battery quality and sometimes it's super hard to get a scan, like if you move even slightly it will error...

And I like your plan, don't think you could go wrong either way... 💕