Balls of Feet

Hi! I have walked at a brisk pace a few times a week for about four years. For the past month after starting MFP, I've been walking every day. The balls of my feet seem to be getting inflamed, and I'm curious about why and what can be done to help. They are sore but for the most part I wouldn't call it painful. The reason that I think they're inflamed is because I use Voltarin on my wrists when they are inflamed, and tried it on my feet. It took the pain/soreness away. I'm planning on getting new shoes and am in the process of losing weight (currently 5'7" and 156 lbs, down from 172.)

Replies

• cleesus
    cleesus Posts: 87 Member
    You might need to incorporate rest days into your walking schedule, your shoes might be worn out and you can try walking on trails since dirt/grass is softer than pavement.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Too much, too soon
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Probably the shoes.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    cleesus wrote: »
    You might need to incorporate rest days into your walking schedule, your shoes might be worn out and you can try walking on trails since dirt/grass is softer than pavement.

This
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    It could also be the socks, too.
  • littlebear0121
    littlebear0121 Posts: 1,073 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It could also be the socks, too.

Thanks for this idea. Could you please provide more info about what kind of socks I should wear?
  • jefamer2017
    jefamer2017 Posts: 416 Member
    Alternate shoes. Never wear the same pair 2 days in a row. My feet would hurt so bad until I read that changing your shoes every other day would decrease pain. It works for me. I haven't had foot pain in 2 months.
  • cleesus
    In all honestly like 3 of us have said you probably need to take it slower and rest. Doing too much will negatively impact your body, running, jogging, walking are all higher impact exercises that really can hurt your joints, bones and muscles if you dont give proper rest time.

Stuff like socks/shoes can/will help but the wont do anything if you are not giving yourself enough time to recover.
  • littlebear0121
    In all honestly like 3 of us have said you probably need to take it slower and rest. Doing too much will negatively impact your body, running, jogging, walking are all higher impact exercises that really can hurt your joints, bones and muscles if you dont give proper rest time.

Stuff like socks/shoes can/will help but the wont do anything if you are not giving yourself enough time to recover.

I'm sorry, when I asked about socks, it was only because that is one thing I hadn't thought of at all. I'm thankful for your advice, too, and will take rest days. Here's the deal. I'm sticking to my allotted number of calories and eating back my exercise calories. If I don't exercise, it is much harder to stay within my calorie limit. (I imagine everyone has this problem.) What I need to do is find low impact exercise for some days. Going to a gym is not a possibility right now, but we are looking into getting a rowing machine. Until then, does it sound like a reasonable plan to walk three days a week, and do pilates the other days?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Well, technically you don't really need to rest from walking... BUT... if you're starting out from being sedentary... YUP, you do.

I'm sorry, when I asked about socks, it was only because that is one thing I hadn't thought of at all. I'm thankful for your advice, too, and will take rest days. Here's the deal. I'm sticking to my allotted number of calories and eating back my exercise calories. If I don't exercise, it is much harder to stay within my calorie limit. (I imagine everyone has this problem.) What I need to do is find low impact exercise for some days. Going to a gym is not a possibility right now, but we are looking into getting a rowing machine. Until then, does it sound like a reasonable plan to walk three days a week, and do pilates the other days?

While I understand completely wanting to have more exercise calories to eat, if you're starting out from being sedentary, your body needs to make a lot of adaptations to exercise and needs rest days to repair itself from making those adaptations. You'll only experience set backs if you don't take rest days.

While I'm not familiar with a lot of them, I know that there are an awful lot of fitness videos on youtube that MFP members swear by, and I'm sure if you started a thread asking for suggestions, you'd get plenty. I'm sorry I can't help you with suggestions, but I'm not a video person myself.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,152 Member
    does it sound like a reasonable plan to walk three days a week, and do pilates the other days?

YES, sounds Perfect!!! That’s what I did starting out & as I’ve lost weight, I’ve discovered muscles!! Pilates and walking are a great combo!
  • cleesus
    edited April 2018

Yea it sounds good, some light indoor/outdoor cycling or elliptical could be alternatives as well. But yea i do understand, i think a lot of us have struggled with not doing too much too soon at some point especially starting off. I have been there and done that and suffered the results lol.

You can check these threads out

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10661405/best-core-exercises-and-low-impact-cardio#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10661319/any-tips-on-increasing-activity-slowly-carefully-to-avoid-injury

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10661463/workout-suggestions-for-a-knee-injury
  • littlebear0121
    Thank you very much for all of your suggestions :)
  • cleesus
    Yup yup, I hope you have fun!
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    For your question about socks -- it depends on whether your shoes are a little roomy or not, but if they are you might try thorlo socks which are very cushioned. Otherwise, substitute a cushioned insole (not a Dr, Sholls, but one made for athletic shoes) and thinner socks. Most important thing is to wear non-cotton socks to wick sweat and reduce blisters. I get blisters no matter what, but different combos of shoes, socks and insoles can reduce issues.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited April 2018
    i have been power walking for about 3 years now, and over the past year have been working on my running. I started running because I could not get a good cardio just power walking any more.

I went through periods of feeling inflammation in my feet, knees, and such. As time went on, it happened less and less. Now power walking is actually my recovery, and running is my cardio.

I think over time, our bodies rebuild and get stronger, and these pains and inflammations get less frequent as long as we don't push to the point of injury.

Listen to your body, and go easy when it tells you to.

Get good shoes that are flexible, that allow your feet and legs to do the work, and have enough cushioning for the intended surface.

Mix it up a little to improve you aerobic and anaerobic base, and work on your form.

I do at least 1 activity every day of the week, even if it's just a 3 mile walk (and I'm 60).

Good luck.
  • littlebear0121
    SusanUW83 wrote: »
    For your question about socks -- it depends on whether your shoes are a little roomy or not, but if they are you might try thorlo socks which are very cushioned. Otherwise, substitute a cushioned insole (not a Dr, Sholls, but one made for athletic shoes) and thinner socks. Most important thing is to wear non-cotton socks to wick sweat and reduce blisters. I get blisters no matter what, but different combos of shoes, socks and insoles can reduce issues.

Interesting. Thank you. I usually don't have much room in my shoes because I have very wide and thick feet. I will hunt for non-cotton socks.
  • cleesus
    SusanUW83 wrote: »

Interesting. Thank you. I usually don't have much room in my shoes because I have very wide and thick feet. I will hunt for non-cotton socks.

Compression socks might be what you are looking for! https://www.amazon.com/Compression-Socks/b?ie=UTF8&node=5006378011
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Probably the shoes.
    ;)
    https://youtu.be/Abr_LU822rQ?t=21s
  • littlebear0121
    huntersvonn...thanks, great video. I love your profile pic!
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,177 Member
    huntersvonn...thanks, great video. I love your profile pic!

5ca7gva6nw91.jpg