The goal is the process

Options
13»

Replies

• Opalescent_Topaz
    Opalescent_Topaz Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I'm creating this thread at the suggestion of @try2again on another thread. <waves>

I learned back in the day that a specific weight on the scale is actually a pretty ineffective goal, because you don't have complete control over it during a short period of time. Typically, the advice for creating effective goals involves a time frame, but the weight isn't going to come off on schedule. And this is often why people lose their will, because waiting for a month for the scale to react to your effort can be demoralizing.

The fix is to make your goal = the process. Log every day. Hit your calorie goal. Document the bad days. Hit a number of steps. Spend 10 minutes on the bike. Eat a specific number of vegetable servings. Whatever actions you are taking to get into a deficit, make completing those actions the goal, rather than focusing on the lbs per week. Check off the behaviors, which are the things you do have complete control over.

As a short woman with only 15-20 lbs to lose, I simply couldn't do a big enough deficit to lose more than 0.5lbs per week. And that small amount can easily hide behind water weight fluctuations, undigested food, and other normal fluctuations. If I had been hanging on the scale, focused only on that number doing what I wanted it to do, I never would have made it. Instead, I focused on my behaviors - hitting my calorie, protein, and fiber goal. Getting 8,000 steps. Sticking to my workout schedule. That's what got me through :smiley:

I wouldn't say don't look at the scale, but look at the scale as data, and your successful actions as the goal. Nothing works for everyone, but if the scale is driving you nuts, you have options!

Wow. This is great. As someone who is new to the community part of MFP, and who is struggling with those last 10 "vanity" pounds, I really needed to read something like this. Thank you for the uplifting, positive, and helpful advice.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Good perspective @kimny72 and good perspectives like good wine get better with age.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I definitely needed to hear this! Had a bad day yesterday because the scale was higher than normal due to constipation and DOMS. Ended up eating at maintenance. Now I’m just going to take every day as it comes!
  • judswi
    judswi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My goal is to loose 8 lbs a month. I weigh in every Monday! I log my food every meal even when I go out to eat and don't do very well because it is just one day! I have about 30 lbs to loose. I met my goal for April and hopefully will meet it for May. I started watching my weight 4/1/19 and I use a food scale to keep me accountable. I wish everyone luck on reaching their goals!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    judswi wrote: »
    My goal is to loose 8 lbs a month. I weigh in every Monday! I log my food every meal even when I go out to eat and don't do very well because it is just one day! I have about 30 lbs to loose. I met my goal for April and hopefully will meet it for May. I started watching my weight 4/1/19 and I use a food scale to keep me accountable. I wish everyone luck on reaching their goals!!

You may want to re read the first post in this thread, especially if at any point you, by chance, achieve a different than desired monthly loss...
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    This post is awesome, and I am a data addict. My journey is a bit different however so yes, I obsess over the scale an measurements. I got sick a few years ago with a stomach bug,it's a long story but the short of it is I stop breathing because of it. My doc said the ONLY thing I could do is get my BMI into the normal range as quick as I could, the other option is surgery (not bariatric).
    I don't cheat really (rare dinner out with hubby doesn't count because I stay in my limit) and I have been focused and determined. Tonight, as always, I even measured out exact alfredo sauce and noodles down to the gram. For me this is immediate health issues, and I just want the numbers to keep going down so I can get my life back. I lose a TINY amount of weight each month and the last 3 months has stalled out, but I added back in intermittent fasting last week in hopes that along with reduced caloric intake will help. I'm down 86 pounds with about 40 to go.
    I stick to it though, and come here for encouragement by reading posts and getting ideas, this place is great. I love reading all the successes and challenges, and seeing such determination. I celebrate each goal I hit, hoping time passes fast so I can hit my ultimate goal of laying down to sleep.

I just want to breathe and be able to lay down to sleep again, I guess my goals are just different.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Bump