I went from WW to MFP

Options
Hello,

Anyone else transitioning from WW to MFP feel free to add me. I have been on and off of WW at least a gazillion times (no exaggeration).

Replies

• ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was in the same boat, but I found mfp and fell in love with it! It just makes more sense to me, I know what a calorie is, but I could never get an answer for what goes into a point.

Best wishes on your journey!
  • 1_Slick_Chick
    1_Slick_Chick Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I too am a "transitioner" :bigsmile: Will send a FR. I'm looking for new people to add for support too.
  • 1Mrsmcdilbert
    1Mrsmcdilbert Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds on weight watchers a few years ago but had trouble turning everything in to points. I love MFP. I works much better for me. Friend request sent.
  • segwayne
    segwayne Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    @Track

Right there with you... Was in WW over a year until I got to my current city where the support sucked. Now I'm trying this...

@ecka723

Almost universally, a WW "Point" is 37 calories. You can pick up any food off the grocery isle (take for example Ravioli) and divide Calories / 37 and come up with the rounded point total (rounded up or down)... The exception is really, really fatty foods and those high in sugar.

Once I figured that out, it was easier just to count calories.

I even got that "no points" things like veggies really weren't "free" but intended to encourage you to eat more veggies/fruits, but all foods have some sort of penalty, right? As such, not counting certain foods made no sense to me.

Wayne
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I got tired of hearing how you can add fruit to yogurt or change the plates and cups to smaller sizes to make it seem like you are eating more. Gee really????? tell me something I didn't know. I got tired of paying 62 monthly for that BS.
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I was on weight watchers on and off and got so confused with the point system.
    I love MFP, I have been on MFP since May 1st and lost 20 pounds.

Feel Free to Add me.
  • Lbekah72
    Lbekah72 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    lol... I got ya beat cuz Ive been on and off of WW a gazillion AND 1 times!!
    fell free to add..
    Best of everything :happy:
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Lost 50lbs on WW, gained it all back and more when I got off. Not the program's fault, but I don't feel that it really pushed for eating better, just as long as the points were allowed. I found myself obsessed with points, and all I could think about was food. MFP gave me freedom to live my life while still keeping myself in check. I feel more aware of what's going in my body with calorie/macro counting :) I'll send a FR!
  • neilshane
    neilshane Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you Track! I appreciate it!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I got tired of hearing how you can add fruit to yogurt or change the plates and cups to smaller sizes to make it seem like you are eating more. Gee really????? tell me something I didn't know. I got tired of paying 62 monthly for that BS.

Don't forget the cloth napkins! I think my leader went on and on for several weeks on how pretty plates and cloth napkins will make meals feel more special and cause you to eat less.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I did the same over a year and a half ago, and I'm loving this way more!
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Lost 50lbs on WW, gained it all back and more when I got off. Not the program's fault, but I don't feel that it really pushed for eating better, just as long as the points were allowed. I found myself obsessed with points, and all I could think about was food. MFP gave me freedom to live my life while still keeping myself in check. I feel more aware of what's going in my body with calorie/macro counting :) I'll send a FR!

I felt the same way. I was stressing myself out over points and weigh-in days. Since I have been with MFP, life is so much better and way less stressful!
  • ginag516
    ginag516 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I was on WW for a year and I kept loosing and gaing and loosing until one of my friend got me UP by jawbone I love that it links to my fitness pal and runkeeper I am loosing more weight now more than with WW this is def a improvement and you get so much help here with people and forums.
  • trackmyday1973
    Options
    LOL ya I forgot about that :)

OMG
  • trackmyday1973
    Options

Don't forget the cloth napkins! I think my leader went on and on for several weeks on how pretty plates and cloth napkins will make meals feel more special and cause you to eat less.

LOL ya I remember mine going over and over about it too..... I was thinking to myself when I am hungry I could care less what the table looks like LOL I eat off of paper plates to be quite honest :)
  • trackmyday1973
    Options
    I remember one of the ladies at the WW centre that did the weigh-in's didn't know how to add or subtract with the calculator.

I told her if you subtract my previous weight from my current one it will give you how much I lost for the week.

She didn't understand that.

At the end I had to get another WW person to do it.
  • Andra63
    Andra63 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was just on WW and didn't lose anything. I am convinced that MFP will help me- and it already has. I think I adhere to the rule "calories in- calories out", and writing down calories helps me know what I am putting in my mouth.
  • neilshane
    neilshane Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I remember one of the ladies at the WW centre that did the weigh-in's didn't know how to add or subtract with the calculator.

I told her if you subtract my previous weight from my current one it will give you how much I lost for the week.

Now THAT is sad!!!
  • trackmyday1973
    Options

Now THAT is sad!!!

I know....simple math and she couldn't do it.

OMG I had to explain it to her she still wasn't getting it.
  • LabAgility
    LabAgility Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers a few times, like it more with the slide rule but hated the blue calculator.

I need support so thought about doing it again, but don't want to spend a ton on something I don't really love just to get support. So: here I am!!! *waves*