You cannot live the rest of your life in this body

Options

This body needs some upgrades and repairs at the mechanic, if you know what I mean.

If you choose to live the rest of your life in this body, it will not be terribly long. You will have ailments, aches, fatigue. You will be more likely to get diabetes, heart disease, cancer. You'll go out like your father. Or your aunt or grandpa or cousin. Medicating yourself with a handful of pill bottles and cake, or maybe alcohol. Or whatever. You know it's a temporary escape. You know it. You will die early, worn out and weary. It's already started.

I mean--you will die anyway, but wouldn't it be better if it were farther away and the lead-up was less painful? If you were strong where you are weak now. If getting up off the floor didn't make you out of breath. What if you could just jump up and maybe even bustle around? What if you could run? How would the steady breath in your lungs feel? How would your heart feel, making itself more known within your chest?

What if your weak muscles weren't so weak? What if you were actually STRONG? It's still possible. You're still alive, so it's still possible. But every day you stuff yourself with pizza, ice cream, beer, and/or cookies, you are going to lose out. At some point, the food you eat and the way you move your body regularly will be the defining factors of your health. At this rate, anyway. It's your choice.

So, what are you going to do about it?

(Written to myself this evening.)

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd rather die a bit early because of health issues than die late and lose myself in the process with Alzheimer (which I might have the gene for) and dementia.

Plus life without cookies is honestly not one I want to live.

High five!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    MossiO wrote: »
    This body needs some upgrades and repairs at the mechanic, if you know what I mean.

If you choose to live the rest of your life in this body, it will not be terribly long. You will have ailments, aches, fatigue. You will be more likely to get diabetes, heart disease, cancer. You'll go out like your father. Or your aunt or grandpa or cousin. Medicating yourself with a handful of pill bottles and cake, or maybe alcohol. Or whatever. You know it's a temporary escape. You know it. You will die early, worn out and weary. It's already started.

I mean--you will die anyway, but wouldn't it be better if it were farther away and the lead-up was less painful? If you were strong where you are weak now. If getting up off the floor didn't make you out of breath. What if you could just jump up and maybe even bustle around? What if you could run? How would the steady breath in your lungs feel? How would your heart feel, making itself more known within your chest?

What if your weak muscles weren't so weak? What if you were actually STRONG? It's still possible. You're still alive, so it's still possible. But every day you stuff yourself with pizza, ice cream, beer, and/or cookies, you are going to lose out. At some point, the food you eat and the way you move your body regularly will be the defining factors of your health. At this rate, anyway. It's your choice.

So, what are you going to do about it?

(Written to myself this evening.)

I hope this helped you get your thoughts in order. I think I had a similar talk with myself.
    When I started with MFP I was in fairly bad shape. Losing just 10 lbs made a difference in how I felt even though I was still overweight. I was surprised at the realization of how bad I had been feeling all the time. I really got upset and told myself that I deserved to feel good and live a full, active life and to do that I needed to lose weight. I didn't really have to give up food I liked to do that just moderate portion sizes.

If you are unsure where to begin I suggest logging what you currently eat and drink for a week or so as accurately as you can. Then make small changes like getting more protein or reducing portion sizes of higher calorie items and putting more vegetables on your plate. Switch to low calorie or no calorie drinks. Set a reasonable sustainable goal like losing 1 lb a week. If you are new to exercise start small and gradually increase time/intensity. Read the stickied threads in the forums here for some great advice.

You can do it!