Confused with macros

I’ve been using this app for over 20 days but only started tracking my calories since 2 weeks ago.
So far I’ve lost 1kg. But I’m confused on how to track macros? I have sandwich tuna and avocado juice for my lunch today and I’m already over my fat intake. And does macros affect weight loss? As in if I go over my fat, carbs, & protein intake even though I’m still in my calorie limit, will I gain weight?
Appreciate all information.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited April 2018
    Are you looking at your macros by grams or percentages?

Percentages are somewhat irrelevant - you can eat any macro breakdown at any calorie amount and look like you're "hitting your macros". Look at the grams at the bottom of your diary instead, but focus more so on calories as these are what matter for weight loss.

You can't go over all 3 macros and still be in your calories. If that happens, you have to be using incorrect entries.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    First, congrats on your weight loss!

For losing weight, calories are king. As long as you're burning more calories than you're ingesting, the weight will come off. Macros don't matter for that.

Macros are important for health and satiety. This site gives a pretty good description of what each one does: https://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/the-3-primary-macronutrients-and-their-importance.html. Satiety is pretty individual. I personally find that fat doesn't really satisfy me that much. I work on hitting my protein, let the rest fall where it falls, and generally end up with more carbs and less fat.

Keep in mind that, while you may be over on any given macro on any given day, unless there's some sort of system glitch, you can't be over on all your macros and under on calories simultaneously. When MFP gives you your calorie goal, it sets your macro defaults at 50% carbs, 30% fats, 20% protein. Each gram of carbs=4 calories. Ditto for protein. Each gram of fat=9 calories. So MFP will take your calories and split them along your macros. You can adjust the split if you want to.
  • eleonora1809
    eleonora1809 Posts: 85 Member
    edited April 2018
    Are you looking at your macros by grams or percentages?

Percentages are somewhat irrelevant - you can eat any macro breakdown at any calorie amount and look like your "hitting your macros". Look at the grams at the bottom of your diary instead, but focus more so on calories as these are what matter for weight loss.

You can't go over all 3 macros and still be in your calories. If that happens, you have to be using incorrect entries.

This is my macros:

zl97devxbjz1.png

In grams:
    dxzoz34mju34.png

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Right, so you were over on fat and under on carbs and protein.
  • eleonora1809
    edited April 2018
    First, congrats on your weight loss!

For losing weight, calories are king. As long as you're burning more calories than you're ingesting, the weight will come off. Macros don't matter for that.

Macros are important for health and satiety. This site gives a pretty good description of what each one does: https://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/the-3-primary-macronutrients-and-their-importance.html. Satiety is pretty individual. I personally find that fat doesn't really satisfy me that much. I work on hitting my protein, let the rest fall where it falls, and generally end up with more carbs and less fat.

Keep in mind that, while you may be over on any given macro on any given day, unless there's some sort of system glitch, you can't be over on all your macros and under on calories simultaneously. When MFP gives you your calorie goal, it sets your macro defaults at 50% carbs, 30% fats, 20% protein. Each gram of carbs=4 calories. Ditto for protein. Each gram of fat=9 calories. So MFP will take your calories and split them along your macros. You can adjust the split if you want to.

Thankyou for your info!
    I usually eat homemade meals so even if I use salt, garlic powder, etc. I still make sure to add them on app.
    I’m hoping to lose 1kg every week but last week I was still the same weight, only lost a few points which I’m guessing is water weight. I wonder if it’s because I’m not logging my calories accurately.
    Hopefully I can lose another kg this week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    look at your macro goals, not the percentage.
  • eleonora1809

I know but I found it hard to have meals according to my macros, it’s easier to follow calories instead :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I know but I found it hard to have meals according to my macros, it’s easier to follow calories instead :(

pre log.

plus you don't have to worry about macros if you don't want to, they don't matter for weight loss, but they help a lot of people for satiety, and if you exercise you may want to watch your protein.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Another recommendation for pre logging. If you eat similarly every day you may want to focus on adding protein - I would take the mfp recommendation as a very low minimum. When you're in a deficit, eating sufficient protein (and strength training) will help you to maintain muscle mass.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

Even if you decide to attempt to stick to the macro guidelines (guidelines not straitjacket!) you don't have to make your individual meals conform to the ratios.

By the way....
    1kg a week weight loss is very aggressive and only suitable for someone either very large or with a lot of weight to lose.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I always went by calories and as long as I was hitting my protein I pretty much ignored the other macros - it never impacted/hindered my weight loss.
  • eleonora1809
    edited April 2018
    sijomial wrote: »

Even if you decide to attempt to stick to the macro guidelines (guidelines not straitjacket!) you don't have to make your individual meals conform to the ratios.

By the way....
    1kg a week weight loss is very aggressive and only suitable for someone either very large or with a lot of weight to lose.

I’m 130lbs and currently following MFP 1200 calorie diet. On that amount of calories I should be losing at least 2-3 pounds (1kg) a week. I’ve done some research on healthy amount of weight to lose in a week and it’s the same.

https://www.caloriesecrets.net/what-is-a-healthy-amount-of-weight-to-lose-per-week/

Of course there isn’t a one size fit all type of weight loss, but I’m good with losing 1kg per week or at least even if my weight fluctuates, it’s still a sign of progress.
  • livingleanlivingclean

By the way....

I’m 130lbs and currently following MFP 1200 calorie diet. On that amount of calories I should be losing at least 2-3 pounds (1kg) a week. I’ve done some research on healthy amount of weight to lose in a week and it’s the same.

https://www.caloriesecrets.net/what-is-a-healthy-amount-of-weight-to-lose-per-week/

Of course there isn’t a one size fit all type of weight loss, but I’m good with losing 1kg per week or at least even if my weight fluctuates, it’s still a sign of progress.

The article you linked recommends 1-2lbs per week. You have very little to lose, so aiming for 1lb a week would be more realistic.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member

By the way....

Even your link (with its very vague advice) doesn't support your excessive chosen rate of weight loss.
    1% of bodyweight is a better guide.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,080 Member
    Is that a full day's logging? If so, you're undereating (unless you're getting a lot of calories from alcohol, which is not the optimal choice if it's crowding out nutrients from food) or using bad entries. Those macros add up to 1128 kcal.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member

By the way....

Like others said, not going to happen. MFP stops at 1200 for women by default, it's not always a guarantee that 1200 will cause you to have the loss rate you put in. Seeing that low is usually a big sign that someone's trying to lose more than they're capable of. A couple people suggested 1lb, but depending on how much you're trying to lose even that might be a little too much.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member

By the way....

you dont have the excess fat to be able to lose 2lb per week. all you're doing is increasing the likelihood of losing muscle.

It's also going to increase the likelihood of your hair starting to fall out. Not a good look.
  • eleonora1809
    Is that a full day's logging? If so, you're undereating (unless you're getting a lot of calories from alcohol, which is not the optimal choice if it's crowding out nutrients from food) or using bad entries. Those macros add up to 1128 kcal.

No, that’s only breakfast & lunch. Since I’m over the macros fat limit, I only eat sweet potatoes for dinner yesterday :#

• eleonora1809

By the way....

you dont have the excess fat to be able to lose 2lb per week. all you're doing is increasing the likelihood of losing muscle.

Ok but I don’t understand. If I don’t have enough fat then why my macros said I’m over my fat intake? I’m only trying to lose 20 pounds and for my weight this app recommended the 1200 calorie diet. I’m only following the calorie deficit diet.

• eleonora1809
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

By the way....

Ok but I don’t understand. If I don’t have enough fat then why my macros said I’m over my fat intake? I’m only trying to lose 20 pounds and for my weight this app recommended the 1200 calorie diet. I’m only following the calorie deficit diet.

With only 20 pounds to lose, you don't have enough fat on your body to lose 2 pounds a week.

We can only burn a limited number of calories daily from stored body fat, and its fewer calories the less body fat we have. If you don't have enough body fat left to generate the weight loss from fat, it's likely to come from muscle or other tissue.

It's a bad plan to lose weight too fast. Unhealthy. Unattractive.

So I should focus on losing body fat percentage instead just weight?
    I don’t plan to lose weight quickly because I know it’ll just bounce back.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,986 Member

By the way....

With only 20 pounds to lose, you don't have enough fat on your body to lose 2 pounds a week.

We can only burn a limited number of calories daily from stored body fat, and its fewer calories the less body fat we have. If you don't have enough body fat left to generate the weight loss from fat, it's likely to come from muscle or other tissue.

On the previous page, you were talking about losing 2+ pounds a week. That would be too fast.

You might be OK losing the first 10 pounds at one pound a week, but 0.5 pounds would be safest if you want to look your best and have enough energy for daily life and workouts.

If you lose slowly, and exercise (especially strength exercise), you'll have the best odds of losing mostly fat, thus reduce your body fat percentage.
  • eleonora1809
    edited April 2018

By the way....

On the previous page, you were talking about losing 2+ pounds a week. That would be too fast.

You might be OK losing the first 10 pounds at one pound a week, but 0.5 pounds would be safest if you want to look your best and have enough energy for daily life and workouts.

If you lose slowly, and exercise (especially strength exercise), you'll have the best odds of losing mostly fat, thus reduce your body fat percentage.

Yes, that’s the plan because I thought it was normal to lose 0.5-1kg a week. I feel like if I lose only 0.5 pounds aka 0.22 kg.... did I lose water weight or what.

My life is pretty sedentary and I workout only 3 times a week.