Trouble getting enough protein

Options
2»

Replies

• comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the suggestions on here. I personally target protein daily at 1.2g per pound of my body weight because my goals are to gain muscle which means gain weight, but not that fat stuff. Also, muscles burn more fat. So I go mainly with Whey protein and use it in my coffee in the morning along with two shakes a day; 45g a pop. Then I get a few protein shots, 20g each, during gym days; 4 a week; two upper bodies, 2 lower bodies. I stay loaded up on Omega 3 and vitamin C daily with the capsules or wild salmon, nuts, juices, etc.

I advise you to kick-start your mornings with protein and Omega 3 and make it a habit. Avoid any and all alcohol. And if you workout, make yourself rest at least 2 times a week which means no hard lifting or running on those days. Rest = healing = muscle expansion.

Why do you have to avoid alcohol?
  • ricka1962
    ricka1962 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm probably stating this incorrectly but hopefully you get the point.

AS I understand it, when you consume Alchohol your body stops digesting anything else (carbs/fat/protein) and prioritizes the alcohol first. Based on you you listen too it could do this for 6 hours -48 hours depending on how much alcohol you consumed. So (I believe) this issue is those carbs/protien/fat can get stored as fat since it's not being digested right away.

I like my cocktail hours, but I definately see it slowing down my gains compared to when I abstain from alchohol. But it's a trade off I make.
  • Jonjonn31
    Jonjonn31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you still live with your parents and don't meal prep to keep track of your intake, protein shakes would be your best bet. I have to consume a lot of protein as I'm trying to build muscle so i do about 4 shakes a day plus my meals.
  • tanasta2
    tanasta2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    150 grams is not that much. But if you aren't used to eating that amount, it might take some time for you to adjust. Try lowering it by 10-20 grams and gradually increase over time.

Sample meal:
    8 oz chicken 40 grams of protein
    3 cups of brown rice 10 grams of protein

0.5 lb salmon 40 grams of protein
    3 cups of brown rice 10 grams of protein

Whey protein 25 g of protein
    Greek yogurt 15 g of protein
    Almonds 10 g of protein

That's already 150 g of protein in 3 meals only. Make sure to add healthy fats and more carbohydrates as necessary.