Fast Food; are there any heathy choices?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Although I agree with what ninerbuff is saying. I don't believe that's the right advice for the general public. As fitness professionals we are able to handle the idea of macros far better then the average person attempting fitness.

Niner- most people lack that self control which is why they are in the position they are in. As a trainer, I'm sure you understand that.
    Actually I believe more that most people disregard that fact that they over consume and that's why we have the issues today. Educating is part of what this site is about and if I can get people here to research and understand about macro and micronutrients, then it's a step to probably helping them achieve their goals easier.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    burger king and wendys are ok. If you know your eating fast food then just make the rest of the day cleaner. Wendys has a good app that ask you how many calories you want to eat and they give you options.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Go with the value menu instead of combos. Take off half the bun, or get a lettuce wrap. There is NOTHING wrong with cheese people. A Jr cheese burger delux at Wendys is only 300 cals even if you don't make any changes, a soft taco supreme at taco bell is only 230. 2 of those and you are good to go.

I like Carl's Jr. I get their guacamole bacon $6 burger low carb style without the santa fe sauce (not necessary with the guac). It's a bit less than 5 bucks, very filling, feels like cheating and is only 570 cals. You could get a regular $6 burger with a lettuce wrap for fewer calories, but guacamole is amazing.

Regular roast beef sandwiches (or get 3 jrs and take the meat from one and spread between the last two for more food for your money) at arbys are low calorie and delicious. Don't fall for their market fresh sandwiches.

Chipotle tacos or bowls.

KFC grilled chicken.

Really, just decide where you want to go, then look at their nutritional menu and make your choice. Only you know how many cals, what kind of macros etc you have to spend.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell has good options, but they don't show up in their drive through menu. Their fresco tacos have 150 calories. I love the sweet chili McWrap at McDonald's for 360 calories too (and their salads are not bad either, 200ish calories with grilled chicken and they have some low fat dressings, which I think Burger King does not).

I've never found a good option at Burger King and Wendy's, as they have no low fat/low calories dressing at all, and the salads themselves are like 400 calories. I heard the chili at Wendy's is ok but I'm not too fond of that.
  • Kimberrh6
    Kimberrh6 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you like chili, Wendy's chili is amazing and healthy. I love it! I've paired a small chili with a plain baked potato before and its great. They also have salads that may not be that healthy if you eat a whole one, but they have the option to get half a salad. If I'm trying to make healthy choices, Wendy's is where we eat. Taco Bell isn't too shabby either if you go fresco style.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Although I agree with what ninerbuff is saying. I don't believe that's the right advice for the general public. As fitness professionals we are able to handle the idea of macros far better then the average person attempting fitness.

Niner- most people lack that self control which is why they are in the position they are in. As a trainer, I'm sure you understand that.

Wow, that is really condescending. Do you really think we non-professionals are too stupid to understand the "idea" of carbs, protein, fats and keeping these in balance??
  • kat_lifts
    Options
    I recently went on chipotles website and they are very detail in their ingredient list. Which I can really appreciate, they have brown rice and good local meat ( I think I remember correctly) and fresh vegs
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I'm fond of rice bowl places. There's a small chain in my area called Fugi Grill where you can get a spicy tuna bowl at just above 400 calories, I could eat it everyday and be happy. Flame Broiler would probably be decent as well, and Chipotle.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Wow, that is really condescending. Do you really think we non-professionals are too stupid to understand the "idea" of carbs, protein, fats and keeping these in balance??

As a non-professional, with many non-professional friends and family, I would say the answer is very often yes. Though I think it is more a matter of ignorance and/or laziness than stupidity.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently unhealthy. This includes fast food.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Of the burger joints, McDonald's has the best variety of filling, low-calorie options that taste good.

But they all have healthy food.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options

^^agree!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

It depends on how you are defining "unhealthy food".
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I can't really think of any unhealthy examples
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Burger King offers a veggie burger

Taco Bell will replace meat with beans in any of their options.

Most places have salads. Wendys berrie salad is pretty darn good.

McDonalds offers oatmeal and eggwhite options for breakfast. They also offer chicken breast on a whole wheat bun.

I try to avoid FF as much as possible by preparation and planning on trips, but there is that point on the way home where it is going to happen, so all we can do is make the best choices for us. I, for one, do not do well digesting meat, and can not tolerate the almost meat at many fast food chains. I know that by having a car full of fruit and nuts, I will make a better choice at the window when I am not starving and think a large french fry is a good idea.

Fruit is the original fast food.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Presumably the definition would be "food that has a negative impact on some measure of health."
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    I recently went on chipotles website and they are very detail in their ingredient list. Which I can really appreciate, they have brown rice and good local meat ( I think I remember correctly) and fresh vegs
    If calories aren't so much a concern, but REAL food is, Chipotle might not be a bad idea

http://www.chipotle.com/en-us/fwi/fwi.aspx
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Presumably the definition would be "food that has a negative impact on some measure of health."

I've got your crown. ;)
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    most places lettuce wrap items now, so do that. get grilled chicken, no cheese take of the mayo off and or get something that isn't fried.

that's about the best you can do... well the best I can do lol lots of places have fruit items for kids apple slices etc.
    With those apple slices in the bag at McD's, your getting major chemicals for freshiness. I don't even buy those presliced apples at the store.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken from Burger King with no Mayo and either no bun or half a bun (toss the other half to the birds!) with a side salad and very little of the dressing of your choice is a good low calorie meal.
    Wendy's salads are all available in half size and you can ask to have the chicken removed or choose to not add the add ins like almonds or croutons. Their chili is large but has few calories.
    A kids cheese burger most places is relatively low calories and sometimes it's all you need to hit the spot.
    In the non-American food joints like Taco bell, they offer the Fresca menu with no cheese, lower calorie options... I like the potato taco there myself and the pintos and cheese... There's Panda Express where you can get VEGGIES instead of rice or lo mien, then get the veggie spring rolls and the mushroom chicken and you have an extremely low calorie very filling meal.

Best part of fast food is that the nutrition information is usually easy to find. Most have it posted on the wall somewhere and they always have it online. If we are going out for fast food, I ALWAYS look at the nutrition information online first and make a choice before I go... Which can be hard when there's a promo item... They usually don't have to release or post promotional item's nutrition information because it's not something that will be permanently on the menu.

I say, as with all things, EVERYTHING IN MODERATION! Have a cheesey burger tonight and a salad tomorrow... You don't have to give up everything to get healthy; variety is the spice of life! I wouldn't choose to eat boiled chicken and veggies everyday.