Fast Food; are there any heathy choices?

Options

Replies

• TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell, Fresco Chicken Soft Tacos, two of them for 300 calories. Not super filling, but good in a pinch when I'm low on cals and have to eat out. Otherwise, I just eat what I want from wherever and make it work.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    No food is inherently unhealthy. This includes fast food.

^^agree!

Oh gesus. Here we go again. Saying it and agreeing with it does not make it true.

Yall know about all the crap that goes into the "almost meat" and chicken nuggets right? If you do not mind chemical laden foods then hey, that is your prerogative but please, do not try to pass that crap off as healthy, because it is not. And there are dozens of scientific reports stating this as well.

Pay attention to the truth instead of wanting to justify eating crap.

http://www.criticalbench.com/unhealthy_fast_food.htm
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    most places lettuce wrap items now, so do that. get grilled chicken, no cheese take of the mayo off and or get something that isn't fried.

that's about the best you can do... well the best I can do lol lots of places have fruit items for kids apple slices etc.
    With those apple slices in the bag at McD's, your getting major chemicals for freshiness. I don't even buy those presliced apples at the store.

Apple Slices: Apples, Calcium Ascorbate (calcium + vitamin C)

MAJOR CHEMICALS!!

Good lord. Come on. This is crazy.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I like getting chicken nuggets from chick-fil-a
  • jonnythan
    Options

It depends on how you are defining "unhealthy food".

Presumably the definition would be "food that has a negative impact on some measure of health."

I've got your crown. ;)

You can wear it for me ;)
  • jonnythan
    Options

^^agree!

Oh gesus. Here we go again. Saying it and agreeing with it does not make it true.

Yall know about all the crap that goes into the "almost meat" and chicken nuggets right? If you do not mind chemical laden foods then hey, that is your prerogative but please, do not try to pass that crap off as healthy, because it is not. And there are dozens of scientific reports stating this as well.

It is healthy, and there are not "dozens of scientific reports stating this."

This thread is now an "OH MY GOD CHEMICALS ARE BAD AND MCDONALD'S WILL KILL YOU" thread.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    honestly I think that starbucks has some good choices. They have a turkey bacon egg white multigrain english muffin sandwich that clocks in close to 300 cals with good protein. Thats my go to on the run food.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'd happily eat at Subway for every meal. Lots of healthy options there really.
    It's only the price and inconvenience that stops me doing that.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going to jimmy johns and getting a sandwich full of the oh so healthy sprouts.

But they dont sell them anymore because of the potential to get sick and die from an outbreak of the rare O26 strain of E. coli.

MMmmmm Healthy!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I just discovered that Jack in the Box has "grilled" chicken strips. It's in really fine writing under the chicken strip meal on the menu. Those were pretty good. Popeyes naked strips aren't bad either.

I guess it's all based on what fits into your calories. If you aren't worried about going over, you're probably fine. I don't know of any places that have kosher fast food but I haven't really looked either.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Do you have something similar to Itsu in the US? I thought that was relatively healthy. Just not cheap.
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    I friggin LOVE Jason's Deli, and there are some in Denver. Check out their menu online, I think you'll like it. It is quick (they usually have a drive through) but such good food. Lots of healthy options for all types of diets. A little on the pricier side for "quick" food.
  • missability
    Options
    I know if it comes in a box, it's processed to a degree....but we gotta eat, and sometimes "on the go" days with family, job, responsibilities, things come up that were not planned for....I use Panera bread....I had read 2 years ago, long before I began this journey, that it was the number 1 healthiest "fast food" chain In the US.

Needless to say that kept me far away from it..lol....I cringed at the idea of sprouts and avocado....(Although I had no idea if they even sold that stuff)

But back In march, 2 months after beginning on MFP, I got very ill, one day after an unGodly amount of running for medical tests I decided to swing by the drive-thru and try it...I was starving!

The first thing I noticed was they have NO FRENCH FRIES on the menu board!!!

Our Panera had a sign saying they used local produce when ever possible and in season.

The following is copied and pasted from Panera's website:

Panera's Perspective
    For you: You have the issue of taste. “One of the things we’ve learned is that simpler is often better when it comes to food,” says John Taylor, a member of the Panera Bread® Food Team. “The antibiotic-free chicken and roasted turkey we use in our salads and many of our sandwiches we believe tastes better because it is poultry as it was meant to taste: clean and simple.”
    For all of these reasons, Panera continues to work to offer more antibiotic-free meats and poultry at its own bakery-cafes and for the industry in general. Panera actively works with advocacy groups to help raise the awareness of legislators and the public about the issue of subtherapeutic use of antibiotics in farm animals. Panera is also working on supply-chain issues to help increase the availability of antibiotic-free meats and poultry not just at Panera, but at other restaurant and grocery chains. By banding together with others in the industry, we hope to be able to make antibiotic-free meats and poultry the rule and not the exception wherever you dine and shop.
    With more and more farmers caring for their livestock without antibiotics, you have the power to choose antibiotic-free meat when buying it to cook at home or when you’re eating out. You can check menus and labels—“No Antibiotics Ever” and “Raised without Antibiotics” are your label cues.

This may not be important to you....But I know what eating antibiotic/hormone/ pesticide free has done for me, and my blood disorders....

Hope it helped:)
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    subway is promoted as healthy in britain x
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Definitely try Chipolte! Or a rice bowl from Tijuana Flats.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I know if it comes in a box, it's processed to a degree....but we gotta eat, and sometimes "on the go" days with family, job, responsibilities, things come up that were not planned for....I use Panera bread....I had read 2 years ago, long before I began this journey, that it was the number 1 healthiest "fast food" chain In the US.

Needless to say that kept me far away from it..lol....I cringed at the idea of sprouts and avocado....(Although I had no idea if they even sold that stuff)

But back In march, 2 months after beginning on MFP, I got very ill, one day after an unGodly amount of running for medical tests I decided to swing by the drive-thru and try it...I was starving!

Our Panera had a sign saying they used local produce when ever possible and in season.

Panera's Perspective
    For you: You have the issue of taste. “One of the things we’ve learned is that simpler is often better when it comes to food,” says John Taylor, a member of the Panera Bread® Food Team. “The antibiotic-free chicken and roasted turkey we use in our salads and many of our sandwiches we believe tastes better because it is poultry as it was meant to taste: clean and simple.”
    For all of these reasons, Panera continues to work to offer more antibiotic-free meats and poultry at its own bakery-cafes and for the industry in general. Panera actively works with advocacy groups to help raise the awareness of legislators and the public about the issue of subtherapeutic use of antibiotics in farm animals. Panera is also working on supply-chain issues to help increase the availability of antibiotic-free meats and poultry not just at Panera, but at other restaurant and grocery chains. By banding together with others in the industry, we hope to be able to make antibiotic-free meats and poultry the rule and not the exception wherever you dine and shop.
    With more and more farmers caring for their livestock without antibiotics, you have the power to choose antibiotic-free meat when buying it to cook at home or when you’re eating out. You can check menus and labels—“No Antibiotics Ever” and “Raised without Antibiotics” are your label cues.

This may not be important to you....But I know what eating antibiotic/hormone/ pesticide free has done for me, and my blood disorders....

It's difficult to find anything remotely filling on the Panera menu that's not a ton of calories. And it all has a butt-ton of sodium if you care about that.

I love Panera, don't get me wrong. But I don't go there unless I have a ton of calories to blow and don't care about sodium intake. I hit McDonald's, Subway, Wendy's, or Taco Bell when I don't have that many calories.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

^^agree!

Well instead of spreading propaganda with an editorial article I"ll give you some actual scientific studies.

Consider this study showing that “reduced-calorie diets result in clinically meaningful weight loss regardless of which macronutrients they emphasize.” - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19246357

Or perhaps this study which found “diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.”- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413101

Results of Professor Mark Haub who lost 27lbs and improved markers of health while eating a diet consisting of Twinkies.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Flexible dieting
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11707550

Plus some decent articles here:

http://dynamicduotraining.com/wordpress/15-nutrition-myths-you-want-to-knowallow-the-experts-to-tell/

Carry on with your needless demonizing.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Panera's Perspective

It's difficult to find anything remotely filling on the Panera menu that's not a ton of calories. And it all has a butt-ton of sodium if you care about that.

I love Panera, don't get me wrong. But I don't go there unless I have a ton of calories to blow and don't care about sodium intake. I hit McDonald's, Subway, Wendy's, or Taco Bell when I don't have that many calories.

^^^Agreed
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question - chipotle is always a decent go to. Salads or bol's,

I just discovered Chipotle's salads the other day. I couldn't believe how good they were. I told my wife that if she wasn't there I probably would have had the burrito, but after eating the salad I changed my mind. I would have to say that was probably one of the best salads I have ever had. It was the Chicken, half cup of brown rice, black beans, and a couple types of salsa. No need for any salad dressing. 540 Calories of pure bliss and I was full afterwards. Almost to the point of stuffed :-)