What to order at a Mexican restaurant

Options
13»

Replies

• Cleosweetie
    Cleosweetie Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I can see the wisdom about just eating what you want, enjoying, and getting back on plan the next day, but I live in California, where there are lots of Mexican places all over. I have many family members who love Mexican, so I have to have a healthy go-to meal figured out, or it would add up to too many splurges.

It's actually pretty simple: three street tacos. You can rotate the meat (chicken, steak, or carnitas (a bit more calories), and of course there are the organ meats if you're really adventurous). Sometimes there is a bit of guac, and sometimes a bit of cheese. If so, I just log them. Otherwise, it's usually just meat, onions, cilantro and some salsa. The tortillas are corn (small street size). I skip the rice and beans. And, no chips and salsa while sitting at table. If you can stick to these guidelines, it's a pretty healthy meal, usually under 400 calories. (The only caveat is sometimes the meat is a bit salty, so you still might see a gain due to the sodium content.)

Good luck!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I can see the wisdom about just eating what you want, enjoying, and getting back on plan the next day, but I live in California, where there are lots of Mexican places all over. I have many family members who love Mexican, so I have to have a healthy go-to meal figured out, or it would add up to too many splurges.

Agree totally! I live in the Midwest but my area has tons of good Mexican places, and it seems to be a crowd pleaser as well as affordable for groups, so tons of family dinners and girls nights are Mexican and I can't justify going full splurge 3-4 times a month!