Day 1 and I'm over by 80 calories already.

I swore to myself that I would NOT screw up this time. I was supposed to be at 1200 for the day. Well here it is 3:00 and I'm at 1280. I'm so mad at myself!!!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Have a nice big salad for dinner. Don't beat yourself up. Figure out how to do better tomorrow.

One thing that really helped me was learning what my maintenance calories were (the amount of calories I need to eat to maintain my current weight). For me, that's about 2300 calories. My deficit calorie goal is 1860 calories. So, if I slip up and go over, to say 1950 calories, guess what?!? I'm still in deficit. Knowing my maintenance calories has saved me from a lot of stress and headache.

This^

1200 is not "the" number, it's merely a number that compares to your maintenance calories. People choose to eat different calories on different days (on purpose). You can just track by the week if that helps.

We're all learning. Don't sweat a mistake here or there.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Looked at your diary. It looks pretty good. The chocolate is tough, isn't it? Maybe if you looked for sugar free or darker chocolate??
    You are doing great. It is a learning experience :)
  • HarveysBud
    HarveysBud Posts: 420 Member
    mistymcnew wrote: »
    I swore to myself that I would NOT screw up this time. I was supposed to be at 1200 for the day. Well here it is 3:00 and I'm at 1280. I'm so mad at myself!!!

Don;t be too hard on yourself like the others have stated. Just learn form it. Looking at your diary you have been very honest about it. One tip that has worked really well for me, I log all my food every morning. All meals and snacks. The I know if I have the freedom to eat something or I need to stay on the treadmill another 15 minutes. Don;t give up. MFP fam can offer a tremendous amount of support.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    mistymcnew wrote: »

Are you certain you're not being a bit hard on yourself? 1200 is pretty low anyway, are you trying to lose the maximum for your height? Try dialing it back a bit and see if easing into it works. I add exercise five days a week, take that exercise add it together, divide it by 7 and add it into my daily calories. Gives me more to eat but I still have the same weekly deficit or surplus depending on what route I'm going. Sites like iifym.com will figure your TDEE just like that for you. Pre-calculate your exercise, then do the same each week and it may make things easier for you.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    There’s a significant calorie counting learning curve.
  • 2aycocks
    2aycocks Posts: 415 Member
    It takes time to get on track. So what if you are 80 over today? Keep working on it and you will get to the place you want to be. One day at a time.
  • BeckyWTGH407
    BeckyWTGH407 Posts: 12 Member
    Make that 380.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Is your new goal a lot less than your normally eat if so maybe ease into it over a week.

You want make it sustainable

I assume your in it for long run so 1 day out of the rest of your life isn’t going to make much difference think it like that

Try and work out how you can eat to the correct target over the long term
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    You can't be wound this tight. Stress makes everything harder. You absolutely have to stay off the emotional roller coaster as much as you can. You will have and perhaps even need days of zero losses and that can include the early days as you transition.

I was having a craptastic day yesterday and I decided to eat up to my maintenance calories because I needed a break. It wasn't cheating because my personal plan allows for off days when I need them. Today has been easier because I was nice to myself yesterday.
  • BeckyWTGH407
    BeckyWTGH407 Posts: 12 Member
    I'll just try harder tomorrow. I wasn't prepared today. I had no healthy options. I've done so well the past few weeks I was so hungry.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    I'll just try harder tomorrow. I wasn't prepared today. I had no healthy options. I've done so well the past few weeks I was so hungry.

Definitely need to prepare if not your not fixing yourself a fighting chance

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    How much of a deficit are you aiming for?
    If you are set to lose 2 lbs per week, that is really aggressive and yeah, you're going to struggle to hit that number.
    If you are set to lose 1 lb per week, that is a 500 cal deficit, so you are still at a 420 cal deficit.

Have you done any exercise? MFP expects you to log your exercise and eat back at least some of those calories, so keep that in mind too.

If you need to be perfect every single day to feel good about what you are doing, you need to change your mindset. Everyone has days they go off plan, the difference is that people who log it, learn from it, and let it go have a much better chance of sticking around long enough to reach their goal. So do that :drinker:

Agree with all of this. I think you just have to set yourself up with food that will keep you satisfied and look at it long term. it's not pass or fail. It's consistency that helps you lose weight and keep weight off. It is rare that a successful weight loss story is about eating under 1200 calories per day and experiencing rapid losses.

• scarla67
    scarla67 Posts: 60 Member
    Hey there, I am on day 3 and out of calories. Truthfully, I am not hungry, just want to eat. Grrr I havent heard my stomach grumble to indicate hunger in over a year. Eat to not feel and to nurse nausea - side effect from bad car wreck Jan 2018. I am going to sip hot and spicy tea - it is so good, make it strong and you don't need to add anything . So tired of my big tummy.
  • scarla67
    That's Jan of 2017
  • scarla67
    I just made a huge pot of green beans for tomorrow, I usually like them crunchy but cooked them to death tonight and they are so good and sweet with nothing added.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    scarla67 wrote: »
    Hey there, I am on day 3 and out of calories. Truthfully, I am not hungry, just want to eat. Grrr I havent heard my stomach grumble to indicate hunger in over a year. Eat to not feel and to nurse nausea - side effect from bad car wreck Jan 2018. I am going to sip hot and spicy tea - it is so good, make it strong and you don't need to add anything . So tired of my big tummy.

Yikes. Sorry about the wreck. Have you tried ginger to help fight the nausea? I keep a bottle of pickled ginger in my fridge and it does help with mild episodes of nausea or mild digestive issues.