Just wondering...

Hi, I’m new this but I was just wondering if anyone have any weight loss tips ? I’m currently exercising half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening with my exercise bike. I’m also vegan and I eat well. Any tips that have worked for you would be very helpful!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    To lose weight, you need a calorie deficit. Do you currently logging your calories to meet a specific calorie goal? If not, that's where I would start.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    A treat is not necessarily a cheat. It's a choice. Pre-logging can help you see whether/how to fit one into your day. (I decided to keep my homemade desserts to 200 calories or less and limit high-calorie desserts to truly special occasions. But if I want a 120-calorie chocolate chip cookie, and it fits, I enjoy it guilt free.)

End of the day, calories drive weight-loss. Nutrition drives health. A lot of people recommend an 80/20 split between nutrient-dense foods and treats (not necessarily mutually-exclusive terms). I don't sit down and calculate, but on balance, I'm eating a lot of lean protein, veggies, grains and starchy veg... with a few calories set aside for a frozen ice cream bar or a frosted shortbread cookie.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    edited April 2018
    Everyone else has already said it.
    - Log accurately. Be honest about it- if you slipped up, log it and move on. We all make choices that are less-than-ideal from time to time, no-one is perfect.
    - Get a good scale and weigh everything.
    - Don’t try to do things that you can’t sustain for a lifetime. Because if you view what you’re doing as a “diet” which will finish when you get to your goal, then you’re more likely to find it harder to maintain your weight in the future- Old habits may return. You’re not on a diet- you’re making changes that will equate to a healthier life.
    - I don’t deprive myself of the occasional treat, because I don’t want to have to do that for the rest of my life. Instead, I make them part of my life on occasion- in this way, I can learn how to manage them in a more sustainable way.

There are heaps more, but the best advice has already been covered in the above posts!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    I believe all I have to say has been mentioned: put stats in MFP, aim for 1lb/week weight loss, weigh food on food scale, log accurately and exercise if you like it and input that in MFP and eat back 1/2 of those calories (if you lose weight faster than 1lb/wk then adjust and eat a bit more). Oh and have patience and don't starve yourself!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    kerryAb22 wrote: »
    Hi, I’m new this but I was just wondering if anyone have any weight loss tips ? I’m currently exercising half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening with my exercise bike. I’m also vegan and I eat well. Any tips that have worked for you would be very helpful!

All the things you mentioned in your original post, while they can be helpful, aren't the most important thing for weight loss: a caloric deficit (eating less calories than you burn).

You can stay fat while exercising, being vegan and "eating well". You will not stay fat if you are in a consistent calorie deficit. Calories are all that matter for weight loss.

With that said, exercise is a great idea for several reasons, as is eating a balanced diet with adequate nutrition.
    (Just had to include that so somebody doesn't claim people are giving the advice to "eat whatever you want" without regard to nutrition).
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Think long term. This is forever. So whatever changes you make, make sure you are ready for them to be forever.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Umm, there are a few tips here and there on this forum. My tip:read every thread on MFP.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Read the stickied most helpful forum posts in the Getting Started section. They have a wealth of info and tips on how to be successful and answers to so many common questions.

^^^^ That. Then read the most helpful posts in General Health, Fitness and Diet.

Best. Tips. Ever. :)
  • kerryAb22
    kerryAb22 Posts: 8 Member
    Oh my gosh thank you all for your help! I’m happy to be honest with my intake and so far I’ve been keeping it under (not on purpose!) I only mention the vegan part because I used to live off process crap! One thing I must learn is patience! Thanks again for your time everyone I really appreciate it!