Coffee, or more accurately...

Options
Coffee creamer. That’s my problem. Delicious, warm coffee with a butt load of coconut creme liquid creamer in it. Like 210 calories worth.

Any tips on dropping the habit? Should I scale it back and wean myself off of creamer? Should I just switch to tea?

I recently re-evaluated my goals and the switch to 1230 is gonna make it difficult to splurge on drinking my calories.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Try buying coconut flavored coffee and only adding a little creamer. Or you can try to completely stop using creamer, that's really your choice.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Scale back. Make sure you're measuring how much you're using and gradually decrease over time.

What kind of coffee do you buy? I've found buying a good flavored coffee means I just need a splash of half & half and then it's delightful.

I do like a creamy coffee drink sometimes, but that's something I get 1-2 times per month these days.

~Lyssa
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I use plain half and half. 2 tbsps is 40cals.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Seems a few have this creamer thing going on, never used it. I either use milk or sometimes cream...but not loads and no sugar...black coffee? It is pretty tasty and still flavours that water...
  • jeannettemancini
    jeannettemancini Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was literally coming on here to ask the same thing. I would give up a meal to get my coffee and creamer. Yes I do that’s a bad thing to do.

I really think the only solution to this is to wean myself off. As it is now getting warmer that was the time
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I use low fat milk and it doesn't add that many calories. For a little more flavor and sweetness, low fat chocolate milk would be a nice treat and much less calories that what you are currently using.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Whole milk or half and half and coconut flavored stevia drops?
  • aliblain
    aliblain Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What is creamer? Not sure we do this in the uk. I like a lot of milk in my coffee- I allow myself one latte at breakfast and then the rest of the day I take a dash of milk instead.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I’ve never seen creamer either, but it’s mentioned often on these threads. Must be a US thing?
    Can you cut back slowly? Use less of it and substitute with low-fat milk?
    I have 2 instant coffees each morn with 1/2tsp sugar and a splash of low-fat milk. 58cal I think for both.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Does a lower-calorie coffee creamer exist...? You could try that. Otherwise you could just cut it back a bit or make other small changes throughout your day to allow for some wiggle room.

Yes. Walden farms has many different 0 calorie creamers
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    aliblain wrote: »
    What is creamer? Not sure we do this in the uk. I like a lot of milk in my coffee- I allow myself one latte at breakfast and then the rest of the day I take a dash of milk instead.

It is the fatty part of the milk that they separate and it is very thick and creamy
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Creamer is just a product specifically made to lighten coffee. Dairy or non-dairy, powder or liquid, flavored or plain, it's all called creamer.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I'd personally find a lower calorie alternative. Maybe sugar free coconut syrup or Stevia? Or find a regular version with lower calories. I find coconut milk doesn't give me the same effect (and I love me some coconut, so I know how ya feel!)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Almond milk plus flavored extracts.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Idk what creamer is but I just use light milk.. (not skim) still tastes ok without the cals of whole milk or the wateriness of skim
  • TheLovelyMrsKhan
    TheLovelyMrsKhan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi— I was in the same situation as you! I HAD to have my Reese’s creamer and dude, I drink a lot of coffee- so I was getting an extra 300-500 calories a day— from my coffee alone!! That’s like a meal!! No wonder I saw no change when I began eating healthier LOL. Anyways, now I’ve cut down to about 4-6 cups per day... and I’m still struggling a bit myself.. I can’t drink black coffee..I’ve been using powder coffee creamer (10 calories per tsp,I think) and then I cut back on the huge 2 TBS I was using.. it’s hard man.. I’ve read a lot of articles where people say “black is best” or if you need creamer, people use butter (IKR?!) But it must be from grass fed cows etc ..

If I were you, just try to cut back gradually, go to a non dairy creamer if you can— && speaking of dairy — I noticed a big change when I cut out all dairy except for Greek yogurt / occasionally eating cheese, I was racking up a lot of extra calories with my oatmeal via cows milk.. now I just use Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk— it takes an adjustment, but i feel so
    Much better now & have lost almost 20LBS in a little over a month- (I have been using MY NET DIARY/8FIT APPS) but I have been learning about MACROS, and stumbled upon this one.. Anyways - hope this helps and keep up the work, it is daunting sometimes and frustrating BUT- seeing results is totally worth it!
  • Slwk5
    Slwk5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to be a latte girl. Had to quit cold turkey. Now any creamer tasted gross. Just do it.
  • Archaeologicals
    Archaeologicals Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I drink either a coffee with 30mL (100cal) of heavy whipping cream or a 16 oz soy latte (170cal) every morning. I wasn’t willing to give it up so instead I drink my morning calories in lieu of eating them most of the time. Choices, choices.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    You will probably have to decide through experimentation. I think most of us are comfortable with giving up some things, substituting some things, and demanding the real deal with others.

I live in the South and I was raised on sweet iced tea. When I was in my mid 20's I decided to switch to unsweetened. Now if I accidentally get sweet tea at a restaurant it tastes like syrup to me. I decided to change and I did. I like tea better now.

As far as substitutions go I like substituting greek yogurt for mayonnaise in recipes. I like it better and it is less calories. I do not feel deprived at all.

On the other hand, when I want mashed potatoes don't you dare try to serve me mashed cauliflower. I like cauliflower but it is not the same thing. Real all the way.

These things are true of me. They aren't right or wrong because they are preferences that I learned by experimenting. Whether you can be happy with different cream, no cream, no coffee, or the way you want it is something only you can decide. I don't drink coffee with cream or sugar but I still typically only have 1 cup a week on the weekends which I have done now for over a decade. That might be an option too. Have it less often but the way you love it. I am sure you will figure it out.