How many chin ups can you do?

How many chin ups can you do and at what bodyweight? Chin ups are where the palm of you hands are facing you. My record is 6 @ 140 lbs (63.5 kg). Currently I can only do 4 @ 151 lbs (68.5 kg).

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I only do pull-ups, but doing bodyweight (180 lbs) I can do ten. With 25 lbs added, I can do four.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    15 strict pull ups w/neutral grip at age 67 &156#.
  • The_Canadian_Apex
    The_Canadian_Apex Posts: 572 Member
    Right now my shoulder hasn't completely healed from a partial torn tendon but I can do 10 at 187lbs. My best before injury was 16 at around 192
  • hotskytrotsky
    hotskytrotsky Posts: 14 Member
    I probably max out at like 7 pull-ups with good form. Not sure about chin-ups, I never do those. I'm 122 lbs at 5' 3" (female).

Back in the day I maxed out at like 20 pull-ups though my form was probably less good. I was probably like 115 lbs and 5' 2" back then. I was also a teenager so I think my weight is distributed differently now.
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    15 at 203
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I can finally do 5!!!! (don't laugh) LOL. I'm 137 pounds. By no means am I weak, but I've never been able to do a chin up-so I made a goal to do 1, then 2, and so on. My next goal is 10.

Pull-ups is another story.... my goal is still 1 lol

Not laughing and glad I’m not the only one. I can overhead press 70lb and still can’t do 2 decent pull ups in a row
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    I did 12 bodyweight once...50lbs weighted single once...and 75 in sets of 5 once.

I'm kinda "fat" now...I did 9 the other day.
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    I can finally do 5!!!! (don't laugh) LOL. I'm 137 pounds. By no means am I weak, but I've never been able to do a chin up-so I made a goal to do 1, then 2, and so on. My next goal is 10.

Pull-ups is another story.... my goal is still 1 lol

I'm not laughing! Race you to 10?
  • richardpkennedy1
    richardpkennedy1 Posts: 1,890 Member
    I did 12 bodyweight once...50lbs weighted single once...and 75 in sets of 5 once.

I'm kinda "fat" now...I did 9 the other day.

Beyond impressed! How much do you weigh?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2018
    Most I have done, tested after I completed a round of P90X with a 20lb weighted vest, was 32 chin ups @138 lbs BW (At that time I tested pull ups as well and got 28). I currently can do 17-18 (16 with good form) @ 154 lbs bw
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,836 Member
    I might be wrong but I think it has help me bulid the little bit of abs I have . Lol
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I do table pull ups - lying under a table, pull yourself up to the table by doing a pull up using the edge of a table. Best on tables with rounded edges. You start doing them with knees bent and heels against your butt and as you get stronger you move feet further away. Anyway. I now do 20 with legs fully extended. It's still not my total body weight (160) but I am happy with that. I also do dumbell rows - 20 with 15 lbs. One of the reasons I work on this is for SUP paddling, which further exercises the same muscles.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    I usually just do individual chin-ups on a bar in a doorway I have at home -- I'll try to do one any time I think of it as I'm passing through. It's probably been a year or so since I've tried to do consecutive chins-up, but I once made it up to 3 in a row. I was probably around 135 lbs since my weight hasn't changed much in the last few years. I think I made it up to 2 pull-ups around that same time but I really haven't kept up with doing pull-ups lately so I'd probably struggle to even do one of those now.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    age 44 - body weight - 157lbs

chin-ups - 11
    pullups - 8

carrying 28lbs

Chin-ups - 7
    pullups - 5
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member