May 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited May 2018
    Thanks for all of the responses - I'll poke around at those training plans and see if I get any ideas. I've never run in a race before and am signed up for a 5k in October, but have been thinking I might try and find a sooner 5k and upgrade October to a 10k, which might make now a good time to look into the beginner 10k plans. At this point it's more bucket list than anything else, but both feel doable once at least, and maybe I'll get the racing bug!

Right now I'm kind of doing what @shanaber described - fitting a couple weekday runs into my available time and then seeing how far I can go on the weekend. @Stoshew71: My long runs are probably closer to 50% of my weekly milage right now, but that should change when I add a fourth running day in a couple of weeks. I'm balancing running with lifting heavy three days a week and will be going down to two days a week when I add the fourth day of running, then see how that feels for a few weeks. I've generally been able to balance both although I know it's not the ideal combination.

ETA: I just finished looking at the HH novice 10k plan, @fitoverfortymom, and it's really not all that dissimilar from what I've been doing. Of course, my idea of cross training isn't especially acceptable based on that plan, but otherwise, I feel like I'm probably on track.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    With regards to long runs, the basic accepted rule is that your long run should fall somewhere between 25%-35% of your total weekly mileage.

Note that you can only use the low end of that range (25%) if you do at least 5 runs per week.

You can only use the high end of that range if you do at least 4 runs per week (practically speaking, I know 35% is a smidgen over 33.33%)

If you only run 3 times per week, I guess you can't do a long run?

I've always felt this range was too restrictive.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Who was it that mentioned they are slow for the first 3k and that's why they don't run 5ks?

That is TOTALLY me. I seriously hate the first two miles of almost every run, but once I get to around 2.5 it's like I can go forever.

Our plans changed and it looks like I'll be able to do a 5k on June 2 after all. It's for a Celiac-awareness group and my daughter and hubby both have Celiac, so it's definitely more about the cause than the run. I've only done one other 5k and it was at Red Rocks and a super wacky course (my first two miles were 8mm which is WAYYYY fast for me, and the last mile was 16mm because it was entirely uphill and included the full set of stairs at RR). The Gluten Free Gallop is a few laps around a lake on a flat bike path in the 'burbs.

Would the solid course of action be to run a few miles pre-race and then be super warmed up for the race? If I have my sluggish miles out of the way before the gun, then I suppose the idea is that I can just haul *kitten* for three miles? I mean, I won't win or anything, but I kind of want to know what my "5k race pace" is.

I'm a big fan of just running the 5K race course easy as a pre-race warmup. Not only do I get a nice long warmup in, but I become familiar with the course, where the inclines and declines are, and most importantly I'll know how far it REALLY is to the finish line when the idiot spectator says, "You're almost done!"
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    With regards to long runs, the basic accepted rule is that your long run should fall somewhere between 25%-35% of your total weekly mileage.

Note that you can only use the low end of that range (25%) if you do at least 5 runs per week.

You can only use the high end of that range if you do at least 4 runs per week (practically speaking, I know 35% is a smidgen over 33.33%)

If you only run 3 times per week, I guess you can't do a long run?

I've always felt this range was too restrictive.

I've always felt that the way the range is stated is bass-ackwards. The idea isn't to restrict the length of the long run; it's to ensure a big enough base. Suppose you want to adhere to the standard of a long run being no more than 25% to 35% of your weekly mileage. Now suppose you're training for a marathon, and you want to work up to a 20 mile long run. Do the math, and that tells you that you should be running 57 to 80 miles the week you do a 20 mile long run.

What's the more useful way of putting it: Restrict your long run because you have a wimpy base; or, your base needs to be broader to support the long run you already know you need to do?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    And no reason a girl couldn't have two pair of trail shoes

Two? Only two? Oh dear. I have failed to be minimalist......

My current trail shoes are INOV-8’s. I forget which ones they do so many for different terrains. These are one and a half size too big, which is massive but works for me. I had some salomon, but either I made them shrink by not washing after they got muddy or my feet swelled, but I can barely even get my foot in them now.

I also have some vivobarefoot trail shoes. I love these shoes, especially for pure soft trail. They’ve lost their grippy lugs for shiny rock (and spin off), but grassy tufts they adore. I should replace them with new.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @skippygirlsmom glad to see you check in, and glad your ribs are improved.

@_nikkiwolf_happy to see you check in also - sorry to hear you weren't feeling well and hope another good sleep helps too.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/18 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5
    05/02/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 6.1
    05/03/18 :::: 2.5 :::: 8.7
    05/04/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 8.7
    05/05/18 :::: 7.5 :::: 16.2
    05/06/18 :::: 2.6 :::: 18.8
    05/07/18 :::: 3.8 :::: 22.5
    05/08/18 :::: 3.3 :::: 25.9
    05/09/18 :::: 3.2 :::: 29.1
    05/10/18 :::: 2.0 :::: 31.1
    05/11/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 31.1
    05/12/18 :::: 12.0 :::: 43.0
    05/13/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 43.0
    05/14/18 :::: 3.9 :::: 46.9
    05/15/18 :::: 3.9 :::: 50.8
    05/16/18 :::: 3.1 :::: 53.9
    05/17/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 53.9
    05/18/18 :::: 2.8 :::: 56.7

A somewhat unplanned day off yesterday because of unexpected changes to my schedule. Today I had my circuit training workout and then decided while I was already sweaty, and it was so nice out, I should just get a run in. I cut it a bit short though because I was pretty exhausted.

The weekend weather looks terrible (99-100% chance of rain in the morning) and I regret not doing my long run today, but it just wasn't happening. I guess I'll practice running in the rain some more.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited May 2018
    So weekly mileage.

Does the body reset on a Sunday ?
    (Monday more likely as many long runs are at weekends).

So if I want to do a long run (say 20 miles) ideally I need to have done an additional 40 miles over the course of that week (going on a 30% ratio). So three other runs of half marathon distance each.

Am I going to TRULY be recovered enough to do that 20 mile run? ( research DOES show that those who run more miles hit faster marathon times, but I wonder how long those in the studies have spent building base mileage prior to that?)

Currently I know I’m pushing my luck, personally. My long run is about 50% of my weekly mileage, BUT, I know I am not running to win any time trophy, and am simply out for time on feet right now, plus cross-training. It’s too late in my marathon training to add much in the way of extra running days. This isn’t the way I want it to be but the best way I can manage it for me, now.

I know a lot of elites run fortnightly cycles. Is there merit in this? Certainly cut-back weeks every third week are seen in plans, and I’ve seen other plans where the long run is built at a steeper ratio (adding 3-4miles compared to the previous week) AS LONG AS that increase is repeated the following week without further miles added to the long run.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    And no reason a girl couldn't have two pair of trail shoes

Two? Only two? Oh dear. I have failed to be minimalist......

Well there is definitely something wrong with me. I passed on buying another pair of shoes before I even tried the first pair I ordered that'll be here Sunday.

I mowed and we need dandelion killer and grass seed. I opted for neither because I'd have spent 100+$ on stuff that just peeves me off and not critical necessities. Then DH comes home from dropping 70 on a massage... And I realize, I should spend more money. I do make ~53% of the income... I should spend 53% of the "outcome" :smiley:

So. I SHOULD have more shoes and dandelion killer and grass seed and a citronella plant while I'm there!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    So weekly mileage.

So if I want to do a long run (say 20 miles) ideally I need to have done an additional 40 miles over the course of that week (going on a 30% ratio). So three other runs of half marathon distance each.

Am I going to TRULY be recovered enough to do that 20 mile run? ( research DOES show that those who run more miles hit faster marathon times, but I wonder how long those in the studies have spent building base mileage prior to that?)

Currently I know I’m pushing my luck, personally. My long run is about 50% of my weekly mileage, BUT, I know I am not running to win any time trophy, and am simply out for time on feet right now, plus cross-training. It’s too late in my marathon training to add much in the way of extra running days. This isn’t the way I want it to be but the best way I can manage it for me, now.

I know a lot of elites run fortnightly cycles. Is there merit in this? Certainly cut-back weeks every third week are seen in plans, and I’ve seen other plans where the long run is built at a steeper ratio (adding 3-4miles compared to the previous week) AS LONG AS that increase is repeated the following week without further miles added to the long run.

In my humble opinion, the body has no clue what day of the week is since we pretty much made up time/days of weeks.

I tend to take an active rest day the day after my long run. But I've found if I don't keep moving it's easier for me to get off track. I don't think I've seen plans with 3-4 mile increases on long runs. Maybe those are far more advanced than what I look at. Sadly, this sounds like one of those see what works for your situation because everyone is different.

I am no help.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    So weekly mileage.

IMO, YMMV, I am not a doctor and all that.

YES do cut back weeks. Definitely.

You can not cram for a marathon though. Do what you can, but know that can not shortcut time on your feet week after week. Grab one of the popular and well-trusted training plans, and follow at least its pattern if not its mileage.

But again... YOU CAN NOT CRAM FOR A MARATHON (caps for emphasis).

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    So weekly mileage.

In my humble opinion, the body has no clue what day of the week is since we pretty much made up time/days of weeks.

Correct. Take a rest day on the day that makes sense for your life/schedule. Does not even have to be the same day each week, but it is easier to plan if it is. :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    So weekly mileage.

@girlinahat

Sounds fine to me, but I don't always go by the book.

My long run is often 50% of my total mileage. i.e. same distance as the total of my other runs done that week.

I've only been running 2 years 8 months, but I run 4-5 times a week.

I think it takes years of running regularly to be able to do 40 miles plus a 20 mile long run.

I'm more a believer in adequate rest and recovery than I am in shoehorning maths formulas into a 7 day cycle.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @5BeautifulDays - Thanks! I will see if I can get over to the tidal basin - maybe on Monday!
    @abutcher2122 - damned CA drivers and their CA stops!! I won't cross anymore until I know they are seeing me and actually stopping.
    @Elise4270 - my go to shoe is the Skora Tempo (also 0 drop). I also have a pair of Saucony Kinvara's that I am rotating in but and they are ok - they make my forefoot fall asleep though so not ideal. The Tempo's have some cushion but not a lot so my hope was to have the Saucony's for a nice cushy recovery/easy run... not so much. I am thinking to get another pair of Skora Tempos or the Topo ST-2s. I had them before and loved them almost as much as the Skora's.
    @MegaMooseEsq - I don't think the lifting that you are doing is necessarily counter productive to your running. I have been lifting at least 2x/week since before I started running and found it compliments my running as long as I match my lifting to what I am running that day and/or the following day. i.e. I don't want to do a hard run and then try to lift or do a heavy leg workout or try to do a hard run when my lower body is sore/tired from lifting. I also cut back on lifting before any race - sometimes difficult when my trainer has other plans ('you're running it as just a training run, right?') but generally we can work through it.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    @shanaber Oh he didn’t even attempt to do a CA stop. I was actually walking across the intersection when I saw him coming down when I was halfway across so I started to jog. I really don’t know why I expected him to stop cuz I’ve almost been at least once a week from douchnozzles not willing to wait to make a turn. I should probably go back to running between the hours 11p-4a. That was always a nice peaceful run time.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,648 Member
    Would the solid course of action be to run a few miles pre-race and then be super warmed up for the race? If I have my sluggish miles out of the way before the gun, then I suppose the idea is that I can just haul *kitten* for three miles? I mean, I won't win or anything, but I kind of want to know what my "5k race pace" is.

My coach once told me, the shorter the race, the longer the warm up. I run about three kilometres at a relaxed pace prior to a 5k event. Don't bother with a warm up when I'm running a half.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,648 Member
    1 May: 11.64
    2 May: 6.0 + yoga
    3 May: 7.22
    4 May: Rest
    5 May: 6.6 + yoga
    6 May: 12.74
    7 May: yoga
    8 May: 6.72
    9 May: yoga
    10 May: 10.04
    11 May: rest
    12 May: yoga
    13 May: 13.13
    14 May: yoga
    15 May: 6.59
    16 May: yoga
    17 May: 10.12
    18 May: pizza
    19 May: yoga

90.80 of 150km
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    @shanaber @abutcher2122 Arizona drivers have gone from CA stop to stop? WTF is a stop?!? They ignore red lights when making right-hand turns. Have no idea what stop signs are. I am super careful when I'm out running (and driving). And I never look at my phone when driving.