Dating someone from your gym

Options
2»

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. Finding a great gym in a small town is difficult enough. Why compound the issue with a gym hottie ? There is only one I in fit. Room for just one in my fitness me zone, my shangrila.
  • AKDiscer
    AKDiscer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Meeting a person at the gym is just as arbitrary as meeting them at a coffee shop your frequent or a super market. Personally, I want a partner that is fit and health conscious, I've know the opposite to cause tension.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    denny_mac wrote: »
    I once dated this woman from my gym back in the day. We went out, fooled around, went out again a little then it seemed we lost interest in each other.

A few months later, I was out with a good friend of mine and his girlfriend her two girlfriends who were strippers.

They -- that is, the strippers -- liked me. They would take turns sitting on my lap, buying me drinks, whispering naughty things in my ear. The evening was going awesome until crazy ex-gym gf sees me out with them and promptly c*ck blocks me.

Still, as a consolation, I go home with crazy ex-gym gf -- last time I ever saw her before moving to Chicago.

You love to tell that story, don't you?

Can't blame you. I would too.
    I did. First time I’ve shared it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym but wonder if you would feel the same hesitation dating a guy you like who lives in your neighborhood, works in the same office/building, goes to the same school, goes to the same church, etc? There is always a risk you will not stay together and things may be awkward. Life is short though so take the risk.

I met my dh when we worked together and we started dating while we both still worked there. We did not end up breaking up so never dealt with that. There was a man and woman who worked in our department who had once been married and divorced. They pretty much just stayed away from each other unless they had to communicate about something work related. They both worked there for many years after they divorced so I guess it wasn't too much of an issue.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I don't go to a gym but wonder if you would feel the same hesitation dating a guy you like who lives in your neighborhood, works in the same office/building, goes to the same school, goes to the same church, etc? There is always a risk you will not stay together and things may be awkward. Life is short though so take the risk.

I met my dh when we worked together and we started dating while we both still worked there. We did not end up breaking up so never dealt with that. There was a man and woman who worked in our department who had once been married and divorced. They pretty much just stayed away from each other unless they had to communicate about something work related. They both worked there for many years after they divorced so I guess it wasn't too much of an issue.

At work, yes, but I'm an elementary school teacher. I'd feel differently if I was in less close quarters or not around children.

If I could date someone from my neighborhood I would be THRILLED. Taking the subway to far away NYC hoods to date is exhausting.

There's something about the gym...it's such a huge part of my life. My training is so important. I don't want anything to get in the way. And also, I like my privacy being one of the only women in a sea of men. Honestly, I'm sometimes a bit self-conscious there as well because I don't look my best deadlifting 275 after working with k-5th graders all day and 2 hours of commuting.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy from the gym but things didn't end up working out.
    LOL
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I had a golden rule - don't date from my gym. broke that rule twice and regretted it both times. both became bothersome to me at the gym when it did not work out - then I got a call from one who said "are you dating this other guy?" (which I was not at that time cuz it was over)...drama drama drama. I DONT DATE FROM MY GYM.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal dating someone from the gym as long as you are honest with yourself on what you can handle. Drama only exists when more than one party entertains it. If you think it may be trouble, it probably will be. If you know that it won't bother you it probably wont.