MFP recipes - can you choose a portion by weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »
    CyberTone wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I can set mine to be shared or keep private. Good idea on the description. I hadn't thought of that.

Don't believe everything the MFP software tells you. A long time ago, MFP thought they would offer a share recipe feature, but they never did. You can not share your personal recipes directly with another user. You can log a saved personal recipe to a meal slot in your Diary, and another user that has access to your Diary can quick tools copy the entire meal, then delete unwanted items.

What is this then: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/274362015763581

Seems like sharing a recipe to me(?)

I have not seen that capability before. I am not part of the beta testing team. Possibly MFP is beta testing a recipe sharing feature on the web version, or it may be a part of the recent mobile app releases? I only use a three year old version of MFP for Android, so I am not familiar with the newest mobile app features.

I'm not really sure. It seems that so long as you have the URL for a recipe you can give that URL to others and they can view it. I can't see an option to make them private or public though so it's a bit mysterious.

It might be an easter egg side door kind of thing. When I viewed it, there was the option to edit it. I did not try to edit it because I did not know what would happen, whether it would save to just my Recipe database table, or would update the other user's Recipe database table. I'll put that on my list of maybe check it out when I am not so busy.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Wait, tho, how do I tell someone else the serving sizes are grams? Am I still missing something? I don't feel well today so my head is a little foggy.

I always put the serving size in the name of the recipe (e.g., "Pork Bolognese, srvg size = 333 g"). Sometimes I use the "total weight in grams = number of servings" method, but more often I choose a serving size and number of servings that is more in the neighborhood of what I expect to eat, so that the per-serving nutritional information in the recipe box will be more informative. If a serving size is one gram, pretty much all the nutritional values are going to round to zero on a per-serving basis.

If it's a big recipe and math isn't your strong suit, a factoring calculator can help you find numbers that work together for numbers of serving and serving size in grams
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I can set mine to be shared or keep private. Good idea on the description. I hadn't thought of that.

Don't believe everything the MFP software tells you. A long time ago, MFP thought they would offer a share recipe feature, but they never did. You can not share your personal recipes directly with another user. You can log a saved personal recipe to a meal slot in your Diary, and another user that has access to your Diary can quick tools copy the entire meal, then delete unwanted items.

What is this then: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/274362015763581

Seems like sharing a recipe to me(?)

I have not seen that capability before. I am not part of the beta testing team. Possibly MFP is beta testing a recipe sharing feature on the web version, or it may be a part of the recent mobile app releases? I only use a three year old version of MFP for Android, so I am not familiar with the newest mobile app features.

I'm not really sure. It seems that so long as you have the URL for a recipe you can give that URL to others and they can view it. I can't see an option to make them private or public though so it's a bit mysterious.

It might be an easter egg side door kind of thing. When I viewed it, there was the option to edit it. I did not try to edit it because I did not know what would happen, whether it would save to just my Recipe database table, or would update the other user's Recipe database table. I'll put that on my list of maybe check it out when I am not so busy.

I didn't want to mess it up by editing either, but I tried logging the Headbanger Mousse recipe at the shared URL, and it didn't work (I got "there was a problem" error message). I'm using the web version right now.