Experience Adding Heavy Lifting to Excessive Cardio

Options
cdjs77
cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
A bit of background: I'm a student who works part time as a bike courier about 15-20 hours a week. However, I've recently tried to add some heavy lifting to my week in order to add strength and even out my muscles.

My main problem is that I find the lifting to be pretty exhausting for my muscles. It's nigh impossible for me to complete a 3-5 hour shift of non-stop deliveries if I do my strength training the same day and pretty difficult if I only did my lifting the day before. Since I work 4-5 of such shifts a week, it makes it hard to find appropriate days to do my strength training that doesn't leave me too tired for my job. At the moment I have been on vacation for the last week and a half which I've used to try to focus mainly on strength training while I can, but I'm unsure of how to continue when I go back to work. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Side note (because I'm sure someone will suggest it): Since biking is my job, and my only source of income right now, I don't really have the option to cut back on the cardio. (Plus, I find it more fun than most of the other student jobs out there right now.)

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It definitely can be hard to do both. When my cardio training is high, my lifting has to be reduced - especially my lower body lifting. But one thing you do/might have going for you - you're young, so you probably recover better than I do. Try to take advantage of that - make sure you are eating and drinking enough. Do some stretching/foam rolling between sessions/shifts. This is going to sound stupid, but I'll say it anyways... try to get enough sleep.

I guess 1 clarifying question I'd ask is this -
    When you say you want to "even out your muscles"... what does that mean?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Are you following a structured lifting program? Maybe look into a split that centers around your work schedule? Can you do a lower body workout on a day to where you are off from biking the next day?

I am not sure what evening out muscles means, but finding the right strength training program designed to help you reach the 'goal' with built in progression and integrated recovery days built in. Calorie intake (with adequate protein), hydration should all be priority for fueling and recovery.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It definitely can be hard to do both. When my cardio training is high, my lifting has to be reduced - especially my lower body lifting. But one thing you do/might have going for you - you're young, so you probably recover better than I do. Try to take advantage of that - make sure you are eating and drinking enough. Do some stretching/foam rolling between sessions/shifts. This is going to sound stupid, but I'll say it anyways... try to get enough sleep.

When I say "even out my muscles," I mean, hit all the muscles I don't really use enough while riding. This is mostly upper-body strength (which isn't too hard to balance with cycling) but also some stabilizing muscles in my lower body which maybe aren't worked out that much with my job. I have EDS which causes joint hypermobility and the physiotherapist suggested a few more free weight and stabilization exercises in addition to cycling to get a "well rounded" workout.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    cdjs77 wrote: »

When I say "even out my muscles," I mean, hit all the muscles I don't really use enough while riding. This is mostly upper-body strength (which isn't too hard to balance with cycling) but also some stabilizing muscles in my lower body which maybe aren't worked out that much with my job. I have EDS which causes joint hypermobility and the physiotherapist suggested a few more free weight and stabilization exercises in addition to cycling to get a "well rounded" workout.

Gotcha. That should be much easier to do then.

Look at the link Roxie posted above and look at some of the programs listed there. If needed, just remove most of the leg/lower body work from them, then use which ever program looks the most appealing for your upper body work. Let cycling be your primary lower body workout, and supplement with things like turkish getups, overhead squats, farmers carries, and pivot presses. I'm not sure if/how those movements will work with your EDS, so do some research on your own, but in general, they are excellent movements.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You're quads are probably pretty developed. So I understand the focus on Upper body. You could also probably use some work on your posterior chain. Deadlifts and Hip thrusts will be helpful for you. I wouldn't completely ignore squats tho. Maybe just do some low volume heavy lifts with your squats you don't need a lot of reps cause of your life style. Maybe 3x8 or 6 on the squats. Just focus on upping your weight.
  • teebirderv8
    teebirderv8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. Your body will adapt to it. In the mean time, maybe up your calories? Carbs and protein in particular are your friend, and make sure your sleep is on point. That may help.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Good job at wanting to round out your routine. What fun it must be being a bike delivery rider! Consider ramping up a bit more slowly using light to moderate weights rather than the heaviest possible. Also consider a shorter workout with fewer exercises or fewer reps while you acclimate. I would think that a gradual ramp up over 2-4 weeks would be adequate to make a transition that is compatible with your job.
  • Magnusdalen
    Magnusdalen Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I mountain bike 2-3 hours daily, plus lift for 30" each day. I know what you're talking about. I would stay away from heavy lifting, where it's really easy to damage your tendons (those injuries stay with you for life), and focus on being really fit & lean. My suggestions, based on what I do myself: 1) make sure your bike is properly adjusted to your body & you're using the right gears... you can save a lot of wear & tear on your body by doing so & can be a lot less exhausted at the end of the day; 2) make sure you're drinking something like Gatorade & eating energy bars/cookies during & after your rides – otherwise you'll bonk for sure; 3) limit your weightlifting to high rep (over 15 reps w/ lighter weights) exercises that concentrate on body parts that don't get as much work during cycling: abductor/adductor for legs, pulldowns w/ different grips, rows, lower abs. Planks, pull-ups & chin-ups are great exercises that build your core, don't sap all your energy, & won't hurt you. I've found that this routine makes you strong all around, and can be done every day without laying you out flat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    In the cycling season I very rarely do any leg work in the gym.
    My legs are mostly either recovering from yesterday's ride or I want them fresh for tomorrow's ride.

I strength train x3 a week which is mostly upper body compound lifts, core work and some stretching. In the winter when my mileage drops I add some leg work in the gym.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if visiting a kinesiologist might be the best bet for you to figure out how to keep your physique balanced and still allow for you to work to your normal efficiency. They would be able to assess your current situation, have a fair idea of what your job entails, and know about EDS needs specifically.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    cdjs77 wrote: »

Gotcha. That should be much easier to do then.

Look at the link Roxie posted above and look at some of the programs listed there. If needed, just remove most of the leg/lower body work from them, then use which ever program looks the most appealing for your upper body work. Let cycling be your primary lower body workout, and supplement with things like turkish getups, overhead squats, farmers carries, and pivot presses. I'm not sure if/how those movements will work with your EDS, so do some research on your own, but in general, they are excellent movements.

This and +1 on the posterior chain work suggestion
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    Depending on your technique and bike fit/setup, cycling can be surprisingly taxing on the glutes/hams... posterior chain work might not be needed/beneficial.

OP - you know you body, monitor this for yourself.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    OP: FWIW, all I think you'd need to do for upper body work to supplement your lower body development via biking would be pushups, pullups and dips (PPDs) .

You can do bodyweight only until you can do 3 sets of 10-15 pullups 20-25 pushups and 15-20 dips (PPDs) 3x's/wk SLOWLY WITH STRICT FORM and then add a weighted vest to do the same # of reps w/additional wt slowly and progressively to make the exercises more difficult.

If you don't think that's enough, you could add bench presses (BP) and overhead presses (OHP) w/a barebell but you'd have to go to a gym to do that. You can do PPDs almost anywhere. In fact, you could probably do them at a playground located on your route.

Shouldn't take more than 30 mins during a lunch break to do a PPD routine (if you limit the amount of rest bet sets and exercises) and doing just PPDs shouldn't tire you out so much that you can't complete your deliveries.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Kinda sounds to me like everyone is just saying: Tough-tiddie! Don't lift with legs.
    They are right in the sense that the recovery -- and the feeling of being pooped out -- won't get much better, if you are lifting hard and heavy.
    But you will be able to make progress getting stronger.
    So maybe you just suck it up?