In search of kale ideas

Options
ldrosophila
ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
I'm not feeling like roasting the kale today, but I would like to have some tonight. I'm thinking just steamed with some butter and vinegar. Any other ideas?

Replies

• Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    kale chips...just search them easy to make and pretty good taste...once they start to crisp on the edges they are ready to be pulled.....sea salt and EEVo work well...god luck
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I had it raw with kraft "anything" asian dressing and garbanzo beans. and a slice of rotissserie chicken. it was good. like as a salad.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Add it to a salad, steam it like spinach, throw it in a stir fry, throw in in a smoothie, etc. Essentially just treat it like spinach with a funkier flavor.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I usually prepare my kale by putting it in the garbage can.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I usually prepare my kale by putting it in the garbage can.

Yeah but I spent good money on it and it feels like a waste just to feed it to fungus and bacteria. I was also thinking it would be great to supplement the calcium and folate, but your point is taken into consideration.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Massage the leaves, remove the stems, rough chop for a salad. Add dried cranberries, walnuts and shaved parmesan cheese. Toss with a citrus vinaigrette (I like lemon on this salad). Delicious!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i love it chopped up and sauteed olive oil with fresh chopped garlic and onions
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    Massage the leaves, remove the stems, rough chop for a salad. Add dried cranberries, walnuts and shaved parmesan cheese. Toss with a citrus vinaigrette (I like lemon on this salad). Delicious!

Massage the leaves?
  • soleimana
    Options
    I usually saute garlic and onions in a bit of oil until translucent, add mushrooms, squeeze half a lemon over the top and then dump as much kale as will fit in the pan. Cover, let kale wilt, then eat.

Or use kale as a sub for grape leaves in dolmas!

Or eat it in a salad raw with some balsamic vinegar and dried cranberries!
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I put it in a quiche/ egg bake. Ripped up bread in the bottom of a pie plate. Sautéed kale and onions (and maybe some other stuff) dumped on the bread. A mix of beaten eggs and cheese over the top and bake in the oven until it looks good. :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Massage the leaves, remove the stems, rough chop for a salad. Add dried cranberries, walnuts and shaved Parmesan cheese. Toss with a citrus vinaigrette (I like lemon on this salad). Delicious!
    nice idea, so glad you shared! How do you make your citrus vinaigrette? Sounds good.:drinker:
    Massage the leaves, remove the stems, rough chop for a salad. Add dried cranberries, walnuts and shaved Parmesan cheese. Toss with a citrus vinaigrette (I like lemon on this salad). Delicious!

Massage the leaves?

Here's a few ideas why massaging Kale before eating it is a good idea:

**Massaging the kale with lemon juice makes it a little softer and easier to chew. When it turns a darker green you'll know you've got it!

This sounds great...gonna try this recipe this week sometime!

Massaged Kale salad with Toasted nuts, Dried Cherries & Parmesan

Serves 4

2 bunches of kale (about 1 lb), rinsed and dried, center ribs and stems removed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise

Juice of 2-3 lemons

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey

1/4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts or almonds

1/4 cup dried cherries, cranberries or currants

1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Romano cheeses plus some bigger shavings to top the salad with

Sea salt to taste

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. Place the thinly sliced kale in a large bowl and toss with the lemon juice and olive oil (add more of either thing if you feel like there's not enough to cover everything.) Massage the mixture with your fingers until all of the kale is well-coated and looks a bit darker in color. Let sit for a half hour (or not, if you're in a hurry!)

2. Add the rest of the ingredients and toss to coat. Give it a taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Top with the shaved cheese and serve.

As with any recipe you can tailor it to your taste and ingredients you've got in the cupboards!:wink:

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Food/Stir-It-Up/2013/0711/Citrus-massaged-kale-salad

Check out that link and find even more salads made with Kale...

ETA: just now read the post about using unsweetened coconut ....that would taste awesome in it! Toasted over a salad would be tasty as well. :drinker:

Thanks everyone for all the new ideas:wink:
  • MadelineGraceG
    MadelineGraceG Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My Mom adds a couple big handfuls of it to her homemade chicken and noodle soup. It is fantastic! I could eat it every day!
  • thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Freshly chopped onions and garlic, and a few handfuls of spinach and kale....Throw it in a frying pan with Olive oil and youre good to gooooo!!!1
  • QueenWino
    QueenWino Posts: 106
    Options
    My new cookbook I am obsessed with has a kale salad that sounds amazing. A dressing is made w/evoo, sesame oil and tamari. Kale and unsweetened coconut flakes get tossed in some of the dressing and baked for 12-18 minutes. Then it is placed on top of farro or another whole grain. More dressing added if desired. From the book Super Natural Every Day, by Heidi Swanson and I am making 3 other recipes from the book tonight.
  • AJDtrb
    AJDtrb Posts: 1
    Options
    This is the BEST kale salad I've ever had! I can literally eat an entire bunch of kale if I make it this way. Enjoy!

http://greensanantonio.com/greens-famous-kale-recipe/
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I like kale chips but the quickest, easiest way I find to get it and other leafy greens into my system is to put them through a juicer. Drink the juice.

And put the pulp into a chocolate/peanut butter protein shake or some other kind of green smoothie.
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    great ideas everybody...thank you
  • kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
  • KrisRei
    KrisRei Posts: 6
    Options
    A few days ago I made a delicious salad with raw kale, chopped peppers, snow peas, cucumber, and red quinoa.
    The dressing was lemon juice, ginger, and oil. I eyeballed the ingrediants but I can type out the recipe if anyone is interested :)
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    I use kale in a modified ragout. Eggplant, onion, kale, mushrooms, tomatoes, etc. a great way for me to use up bits and pieces of my veggies. I think it would be good chopped fine in a tomato based soup ?