Diet Drink Recommendations

Options
ladyhusker39
ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
I've recently discovered that I really like the taste of Coke Zero Sugar. I've always shied away from diet drinks in the past, but I enjoy the low cal sweetness. I tired Diet Pepsi the other day and enjoyed it as well.

However, I am pretty sensitive to caffeine and if I drink it after noon or so, it tends to keep me up and I get the shakes if I get more than about 1 coffee and 2 sodas cans per day.

So I'm looking for some suggestions for tasty low calorie "diet" sodas that are artificially sweetened as I'm particularly looking for the sweetness that are also caffeine free? Maybe something along the lines of Coke Zero in terms of flavor though I'd give fruity flavors a try as well.

For whatever reason I don't seem to be particularly fond of Diet Coke, but it's possible it's a mindset thing as it's been around forever and the ingredient list looks an awful lot like Coke Zero. Call me weird...

What's your favorites?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to black cherry citrus Fresca. Have one most days with lunch and it's a good vodka cocktail mixer as well for after work.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Diet Ginger Ale - I like Canada Dry best, but Schwepps is also good.

Some diet root beers are caffeine-free, I think A&W is.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Oh, and Diet Sunkist! I LOVE that one
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    serindipte wrote: »
    Oh, and Diet Sunkist! I LOVE that one

YES, I love diet orange soda! All the Fanta Zeros I've had are very good too. I don't see them at the store as much, but the Coke Freestyle fountain machines have a good variety of them.
  • ladyhusker39
    Options
    Diet Dr Pepper has a caffeine free version that's really tasty, IMO. There are also a ton of Crystal Light mixes that are delicious and 0 cal.

I hear the diet version is very close to the sugar version. I'll try it.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    This stuff is delicious, too! https://www.walmart.com/ip/Clear-American-Sparkling-Water-Golden-Peach-12-Fl-Oz-12-Count/42068050

My walmart neighborhood market doesn't have it on the soda aisle, but the next over with the teas and juices.
  • ladyhusker39
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm partial to black cherry citrus Fresca. Have one most days with lunch and it's a good vodka cocktail mixer as well for after work.

A vodka mixer that's decent and low cal. Love that. Thanks!
  • ladyhusker39
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    There are caffeine-free variants of Diet Coke (and I think Diet Pepsi also, if you swing that way). Most "clear" diet sodas (Sprite, 7-up, etc.) are caffeine-free.

I can't offer anything about the taste because I'm shamelessly addicted to caffeine and think that buying caffeine-free Coke is about like buying alcohol-free beer. :)

Yeah I get it and I've never done it myself, but I love sweets and I'm thinking this might help scratch that itch.
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Diet Coke does taste a little different from Coke Zero, but its worth a try if you havent had it in a long time. Especially since they have caffeine free Diet Coke.

To me, they all taste pretty identical. But Im not much of a cola connoisseur.

But really, most sodas that arent cola are usually caffeine free, with a few exceptions. Just gotta read up on the label.
  • ladyhusker39
    Options
    Colorfan wrote: »
    Diet Coke does taste a little different from Coke Zero, but its worth a try if you havent had it in a long time. Especially since they have caffeine free Diet Coke.

To me, they all taste pretty identical. But Im not much of a cola connoisseur.

But really, most sodas that arent cola are usually caffeine free, with a few exceptions. Just gotta read up on the label.

I'm thinking if I gave Diet Coke a chance I'd get used the the slight aftertaste and there are just more options. Thanks.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Diet Dr Pepper has a caffeine free version that's really tasty, IMO. There are also a ton of Crystal Light mixes that are delicious and 0 cal.

I hear the diet version is very close to the sugar version. I'll try it.

Diet Dr. Pepper is actually very close to the sugar version. Probably the closest of any diet soda I've ever tasted. Definitely worth a try. They also make a 10-calorie version ("Dr. Pepper TEN", fittingly enough), but I haven't tried that one yet.