Rice substitute

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    kmeyer6979 wrote: »
    I see a lot of responses asking why...just looking for something that possibly have a little more nutritional value.. it’s ok if there really not anything else. I’m just not a food expert and figured I’d ask to explore the possibilities. I eat it everyday as part of my meals mixed with carrots broccoli and squash. Thanks for the input everyone!

Are you looking for another grain or a low calorie substitute? As grains go, you're not going to find a whole lot of variation between different ones...they're mostly starches which provide good energy. I eat a variety of grains...rice (white and brown), oats, quinoa, barley, farro, millet, etc. The difference in their nutritional profiles is fairly negligible...one might have slightly more fiber than another or slightly more protein than another, etc...but it's all pretty negligible.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    brookielaw wrote: »
    If you're not trying to limit carbs, quinoa and couscous are great. I am one of those weirdos that has gotten so used to riced cauliflower that I don't care that it's just cauliflower pretending to be ricelike in texture.

It's not weird, it just tastes like cauliflower. I just can't really think of an instance in which I'd want it riced, instead of just chopped with other veggies, lol. Same with zucchini noodles, it won't taste different if it's just cooked in chunks.

Ya, I like cauliflower and just cook it like I would broccoli. I don't see the point in the extra chopping.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Love rice and measure it in the proportion that fits my needs for the day given everything else I'm eating.
    Quinoa has a slightly different nutrition profile and goes great with carrots, broccoli & squash.

Many times for a dish that traditionally goes with rice (beans as a main, stir fry), I cook rice for the family but put my main dish atop 50-60g spinach. I have done this to replace pasta in a meatball & marinara dish, too. But then, I really like spinach. It adds significant volume to the meal for insignificant calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    brookielaw wrote: »
    If you're not trying to limit carbs, quinoa and couscous are great. I am one of those weirdos that has gotten so used to riced cauliflower that I don't care that it's just cauliflower pretending to be ricelike in texture.

It's not weird, it just tastes like cauliflower. I just can't really think of an instance in which I'd want it riced, instead of just chopped with other veggies, lol. Same with zucchini noodles, it won't taste different if it's just cooked in chunks.

Ya, I like cauliflower and just cook it like I would broccoli. I don't see the point in the extra chopping.

My wife buys it pre-riced. We're both on a winter weight cut right now and don't usually eat grains or starches with our dinners when we're cutting weight. She makes this curries and we often use the riced cauliflower in lieu of rice to hold the sauce.

Fortunately, our cuts are usually pretty short, so we'll be back to rice and other grains and starches in short order...probably another month.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I used the frozen riced cauliflower for a sweet and sour shrimp recipe recently because I wanted something to pour the sauce over. I agree that it does not taste like rice but I do like it. And the calorie savings are great. Quinoa was a good addition to cabbage rolls. I bet it would work well for stuffed peppers also. Rice is not banned for me, but I am definitely watching my portion control and replacing it where I can for lower calorie foods.
  • lissetmba
    lissetmba Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    To make cauliflower taste better roast some garlic with it...
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa with veggies. I cook the quinoa until about half done, then put the veggies on top to steam while the quinoa finishes cooking.
    Sometimes I make it with broth instead of water. Sometimes I add leftover meat cut in bite-sized pieces, sometimes with sauce on it, like
    Sweet and sour or teriyaki.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Instead of substitute, I supplement. I have a small amount of rice and bulk it with cauliflower or other fibrous veg mixes. My goal is feeling well fed.