Women made fun of me at my walking group so no motivation now....

Options
2 years ago I weighed 425. I now weight 311 as of today. I exercise 4 times a day and I eat what I am suppose to. I have not felt this healthy in a long time. But as soon as I walk out to greet the world I continuously get punched in the gut by everyone and anyone. I decided to join a walking group in my area and they made it a point to make me feel unwelcome. Then the women who organized it whispered under her breath but where I can hear her that "we are going to be behind because of the fatty" It makes me depressed and today has been even worse. It makes me not want to do anything but hide in my house. I feel like I have no support except my husband but he doesn't understand either because he has never been overweight Has anyone else here been through this and any tricks to overcome it?

Replies

• workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I’m so sorry that happened to you. Wow, what a mean spirited person. Would your husband walk with you?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I walked by myself...I like to use the time to do a walking meditation and get in touch with myself and Nature.

There may be Weight Watchers or Curves or a T.O.P.S. group near you. They are full of ladies who would love a walking partner. Don't give up. Congrats on your progress so far.
  • dlcharles
    dlcharles Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You done great so far...115 lbs, be proud of yourself.
    We have to be our own cheerleader at times.
    Walk the dog, go to the school track, start your own walking group. Keeping showing up with the one your in and keep on walking. You got this. So proud of you. You are an inspiration
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress to date. You are doing fantastic!

I'm sorry about the comment heard in the walking walking group. That was rude and uncalled for. Don't let it deter you, though. Keep going. Is there another walking group? Can you start your own walking group?

I go for walks on my own a lot. It's quite relaxing to be in my own thoughts for awhile.

Whatever you decide, do not give up. You are amazing.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You've done so well. I hate that you ran into some rotten people. Don't let them take away from you.

Why do you want to join a walking group?
    I have not tried joining a group for exercise. I don't know how walking groups work. Do you stick close together and chat as you walk or it it some kind of competitive walking team? Is it because your area is unsafe to walk alone or supposed to be more motivating with other people?

I know it is harder for me to walk together for exercise with someone who has longer legs, or is very slow or very fast compared to me. I walk alone to get places or just around my house or I walk with my dd who has about the same pace.