Any Keto-ers with open diary?

Hi everyone! My husband and I started our weight loss journey 3 weeks ago with a goal of transitioning to keto. The first 2 weeks we weaned ourselves off of carbs and this 3rd week we have begun keto aiming for 20 net carbs or less. We have been doing well (about 13 lbs lost already from just eating better) but I'm wondering if we are on the right path. I seem to see so much red on the my fitness pal totals and even see cholesterol upwards of 300-600. I was hoping to see if there is anyone who has been doing keto successfully and has an open diary so that I can compare more or less to make sure I'm on the right track. Thank you!

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    There are many with open diaries in these groups. they are supportive groups.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I wouldn't worry about the cholesterol numbers. Dietary cholesterol only negatively affects those with familial hypercholesterolemia.

Good luck!

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I am accidentally keto. I just looked for where I could be consistent and my blood sugars were reasonable and I ended up in ketosis.

I eat low calorie for medical reasons and I can be very weird in my meal patterns. Today is particularly off. But the diary is open and might have some ideas for you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You are not on the right path if you don't need Keto. To lose weight all you need is to have a deficit of calories each day. The way you get there depends on what you need not some diet plan.

Personally I would not cut out an entire food group without medical reasons.

What food group is she cutting?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    There are many with open diaries in these groups. they are supportive groups.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I wouldn't worry about the cholesterol numbers. Dietary cholesterol only negatively affects those with familial hypercholesterolemia.

Good luck!
    I'm not keto. But if you and your family have decided this is how you're going to approach weight loss, I agree that these are good groups to join.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You are not on the right path if you don't need Keto. To lose weight all you need is to have a deficit of calories each day. The way you get there depends on what you need not some diet plan.

Personally I would not cut out an entire food group without medical reasons.

What food group is she cutting?

Which group is the most limited? It might as well be cut.

• my2getfit2018
    my2getfit2018 Posts: 22 Member
    My diary is open and although I don't think of myself as keto, it is LCHF which is what my husband and I are working on...
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    Diet is rich in blood (key: I avoid diabetics though - their HbA1Cs mean higher carb intake); although it's not keto due to the overwhelming protein vs fat content, so I add MCT oil...(vampires' native diet is apparently inferior to keto)

In all seriousness, diet compliance is more important than fads...do you see him being able to stick to the diet in the next month? Year? Decade?
  • mytabouly
    mytabouly Posts: 66 Member
    But, to be honest, I am doing a May challenge of all animal products for a month (seafood, dairy, meats, etc). My carbs and calories (and weight) are creeping up and I feel better, and lose better, with very little plant matter in my life.

Creeping up or down? :)

I'm doing keto (but mostly carnivore plus coconut oil, mct oil and the occasional hemp seed or nut butter). I do try to restrict to around 1200 to 1600 calories though as I'm focusing on reducing my body fat %. My diary is open if you're interested.

I don't get the mid afternoon slump that most people do, my strength training is progressing really well and if started distance running (crazy since I generally hate running but fat adaptation seems to rewire your brain).

My PCOS, SAD and insomnia are all gone and I'm not on any medication. When people see me now, they all say I'm "glowing". Yes it's n=1 but that's perfectly fine with me. My body says that this "balanced diet" talk is nonsense and I'd much rather listen to my body than the advice of "experts" talking about averages.

/end rant haha
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    mytabouly wrote: »
    But, to be honest, I am doing a May challenge of all animal products for a month (seafood, dairy, meats, etc). My carbs and calories (and weight) are creeping up and I feel better, and lose better, with very little plant matter in my life.

Creeping up or down? :)

I'm doing keto (but mostly carnivore plus coconut oil, mct oil and the occasional hemp seed or nut butter). I do try to restrict to around 1200 to 1600 calories though as I'm focusing on reducing my body fat %. My diary is open if you're interested.

I don't get the mid afternoon slump that most people do, my strength training is progressing really well and if started distance running (crazy since I generally hate running but fat adaptation seems to rewire your brain).

My PCOS, SAD and insomnia are all gone and I'm not on any medication. When people see me now, they all say I'm "glowing". Yes it's n=1 but that's perfectly fine with me. My body says that this "balanced diet" talk is nonsense and I'd much rather listen to my body than the advice of "experts" talking about averages.

/end rant haha

Weight and carbs crept up....darn it. ;)

Looks into the Low Carber Daily or Low Carber Carnivore MFP groups for the meaty May challenges. There is a handful of us doing it. I find the food does get a bit repetitive but I can feel a difference in size already and the scale is steadily, and quickly, moving downwards - around 6 lbs, although I am sure some is water weight even though I am eating 1/2 tsp. salt a few times a day.

It took me about 8-9 days before that glow of better health came back to me. :). It's a bit crazy how feeling less well can sneak up on you without really too much notice, but if you remove that less healthy feeling fairly quickly, it feels like a real "wow" moment.

It makes me wonder why I ever let it slide! I guess it's sort of like stopping taking medication once you feel better, and then realizing that it was the medication that kept you healthy. In my case, food acts the same way.