a question about lymph nodes

Options
hello. i found a small pea size lump under the left side of my neck and i got so worried. i looked on my side side and found another pea size lump. Above the one on my left side I have what seems to be a bit large and what i think is a swollen lymph node. should i be concerned??? or are those pea sized lumps normal?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    You should call your doctor.
  • rose2_0
    rose2_0 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It probably just means you're sick. You could go to the doctor.

I once had a very swollen lymph node around my groin and I got so worried I almost made myself vomit. Went to the doc...no issue. Not any different than a swollen lymph node anywhere else. I get them when I have a little virus or am just generally run down.
  • altairego21
    altairego21 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    rose2_0 wrote: »
    It probably just means you're sick. You could go to the doctor.

I once had a very swollen lymph node around my groin and I got so worried I almost made myself vomit. Went to the doc...no issue. Not any different than a swollen lymph node anywhere else. I get them when I have a little virus or am just generally run down.
    hello. i found a small pea size lump under the left side of my neck and i got so worried. i looked on my side side and found another pea size lump. Above the one on my left side I have what seems to be a bit large and what i think is a swollen lymph node. should i be concerned??? or are those pea sized lumps normal?

Did it just come about? Do you have any other symptoms? Lymph nodes generally swell when your body is trying to fight something off or they can also swell when you're stressed. If you feel ill it wouldn't hurt to make an appointment with your doctor.

I'm confused about your description of them though. Are you sure it's your lymph nodes? I've had huge hives that sound similar to that.

I'm currently not sick and have had the swollen lymph node there months but the pea sized ones i found randomly a few weeks ago and still havent gone away.
  • altairego21
    Options

Did it just come about? Do you have any other symptoms? Lymph nodes generally swell when your body is trying to fight something off or they can also swell when you're stressed. If you feel ill it wouldn't hurt to make an appointment with your doctor.

I'm confused about your description of them though. Are you sure it's your lymph nodes? I've had huge hives that sound similar to that.

I do not feel sick. One of them is a swollen lymph node from my understanding but on both sides of my neck there are two pea sized lumps under the skin that i noticed for a few weeks and was waiting for them to disappear.the swollen lymph node is a lot larger but i've had that for several months.
  • altairego21
    Options

I do not feel sick. One of them is a swollen lymph node from my understanding but on both sides of my neck there are two pea sized lumps under the skin that i noticed for a few weeks and was waiting for them to disappear.the swollen lymph node is a lot larger but i've had that for several months.

Since it's been that long I'd see a doctor to check it out

Thank you for your advice. i was wondering if this was something that is normal or not
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    A pea sized lymph node (small enough to be felt but not visible) in the neck area is not enlarged, or not very enlarged. Yes, it sounds normal. You take in all kinds of germs through your eyes, mouth, and nose, and your lymph nodes dispose of the white blood cells which fight the germs off. Most likely you have always had these and never noticed, or you have been fighting something off. Look up a chart of your lymphatic system to see where all your nodes are.

If you don't have symptoms of a cold or something similar, get your teeth checked. A persistently enlarged node can be a sign of a cavity.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I have them under both sides of my jaw towards the back. Mine are nothing. They are just slightly enlarged lymph nodes. When I am actually sick they get larger and become tender
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have lymph nodes that swell at the drop of a hat, so I'm never disturbed by them getting larger. I just know my body's fighting something. However, it sounds like that's totally abnormal for you. Just to be safe, have the doctor check them out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,866 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor. Go to your doctor. Go to your doctor.

It's probably something trivial. But there's a small chance it's something very serious, and you don't want to mess with that possibility. Don't ask me how I know.

See your doctor.
  • altairego21
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

It's probably something trivial. But there's a small chance it's something very serious, and you don't want to mess with that possibility. Don't ask me how I know.

See your doctor.

should i be concerned
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    They are not normal and you should see a doctor.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

See your doctor.

should i be concerned

Think of lymph nodes as like the gauges on your car, a source of information for what's happening under the hood. If one is swollen you know your body is fighting something, you just don't know what or why. Chances are high it is something minor, but it could be anything. So you should be concerned, but not worried. The next step is to see a doctor (or a dentist) who can tell you more.