Healthy saturated fats!!

Options
13»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »
    I wasn't going to reply to this thread, but...

How does one get a paper published in Journal of Applied Physiology, FASEB, Biochemical Biophysical Acta, Journal of the National Cancer Institute or Journal of the American College of Nutrition without peer review?

The article that cited the papers simple said that naturally occurring saturated fat was not as evil as we were led to believe by, no doubt, other studies/papers with peer reviews. I learned a long time ago that almost every expert who claimed something was evil will be replaced by an expert that says it is good or at least not evil.

I stand behind my definition of healthy foods... eat a variety.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Just a little tip. Learn which foods contain saturated fats and which contain polysaturated and monosaturated fats first. Then at least one part of your statement would have truth.
    Just a little tip. Learn which foods contain saturated fats and which contain polysaturated and monosaturated fats first. Then at least one part of your statement would have truth.

Shall I list them for you ?

Yeah, FYI olive oil is not a saturated fat, so you might want to give this one some thought :neutral:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/extra-virgin-olive-oil#section2
    Nutrient Composition of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

This is the nutrient content of 100 grams of olive oil (1):

Saturated fat: 13.8%.
    Monounsaturated fat: 73% (most of it the 18 carbon long oleic acid).
    Omega-6: 9.7%.
    Omega-3: 0.76%.
    "

OK. I think most things are a mix, though I'm not sure of that. But since it's 86% unsat, it's considered unsaturated. Just like rice is considered a carb but does contain small amounts of fat and protein. Are you saying olive oil is considered a saturated fat?

Just that it does contain saturated fats. Very few fat contains foods are just one sort of fat.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Mine is just a quick little fact about how saturated fats can improve overall wellness and simply stating a caloric deficit will make you lose weight when after a while it slowly lowers your metabolism.

So a caloric deficit will make you lose weight but after a while it slowly lowers by metabolism (depending on definitions and degrees I don't actually disagree with you there, though most people on this board will).

How exactly does it make a difference to most people in the above situation what amount of their food comes from saturated as opposed to polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fats as long as total fat intake was somewhere between adequate and excessive enough to start crowding out other nutrients?

I mean, frankly, why are you not more worried about your Omega 3 as opposed to your saturated fat intake?

I agree with you; I did some crazy low calorie dieting in the past and at the beginning of the last diet and I think it has lowered my metabolism a bit. Calculator says 1910 as my sedentary (based on office job) base and I am maintaining using 1700 as a base and only logging about 2/3 of my exercise (it seems to be pretty widely accepted that the exercise numbers tend to be high). Only 6 or 7 weeks of maintenance but I am staying pretty stable. I lost a little to start with when I was logging even less of my exercise. Anyway, a 200 calorie difference between what seems likely as a base calorie burn and what seems to be the actual burn could be attributed to a lot of things but I don't think I had it when I was younger. But it's not some huge number that makes it impossible to lose or maintain. It can only go so low before physics gets in the way.