Low carb diet

Options
rozie229
rozie229 Posts: 12 Member
New to posting here! I want to try low carb diet but not low like Atkin or keto. Any suggestions on amount of carbs I should eat daily to lose nicely like 1.5 a week is fine.

Also, worth upgrading to premium?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Once you determine how many calories you should eat per day in order to hit your defecit, then you'll want to adjust your macros. I personally shoot for 1200 calories per day and try to keep my carbs under 100g, preferably 75g. For me, that means aiming for about 25%-33% of my calories coming from carbs, tops. You'll need to play around with the numbers to figure out what works best for you.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    i aim for 1350 calories and 40 fat, 40 protein and 20 carbs...i have tried to increase calories and carbs over the last 6 months with negative results, so im having to limit carbs to about 15 percent now to get back on track. You have to see how and what works best for your body type though as well as your lifestyle. Good luck:) Also, i dont know anything about premium and have been on here for years without issues
  • DanC126mfp
    DanC126mfp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a calorie goal of 1300 (to 1500) to lose 1.5/wk. I’m trying to follow precision nutrition’s recommend for macros for overweight and inactive. 25% carbs, 40% fat, 35% protein. That’s my goal but it’s hard to get my carbs that low and protein that high. But I’m learning and trying.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    carbs dont effect fat loss, calories do. Eat whatever amount of carbs keeps you satisfied, Dont focus on the wrong thing. Calories are king.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    DanC126mfp wrote: »
    I have a calorie goal of 1300 (to 1500) to lose 1.5/wk. I’m trying to follow precision nutrition’s recommend for macros for overweight and inactive. 25% carbs, 40% fat, 35% protein. That’s my goal but it’s hard to get my carbs that low and protein that high. But I’m learning and trying.

The beauty of it is, if you're truly eating in a caloric deficit you'll lose weight no matter what the macro composition of your intake is. Low carb is not necessary, nor is low fat (or low protein, for that matter).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    rozie229 wrote: »
    New to posting here! I want to try low carb diet but not low like Atkin or keto. Any suggestions on amount of carbs I should eat daily to lose nicely like 1.5 a week is fine.

Also, worth upgrading to premium?

You'll lose about 1.5 Lbs per week eating roughly 750 calories below your maintenance level of calories. The only impact carbs will have is with water weight.

I typically drop my carbs when I'm cutting weight, namely because it's the easiest macro to flex in or out. I consider anything below 130 grams to be low carb.
  • AnneUT
    AnneUT Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have also found that eating less carbs means I'm fuller for longer. I aim for about 30 grams of carbs per meal and only eat when I'm hungry. I pay less attention to calories. By the end of the day, I'm coming in at a good calorie deficit without stressing.
  • sugarnspice0613
    sugarnspice0613 Posts: 109 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    AnneUT wrote: »
    I have also found that eating less carbs means I'm fuller for longer. I aim for about 30 grams of carbs per meal and only eat when I'm hungry. I pay less attention to calories. By the end of the day, I'm coming in at a good calorie deficit without stressing.

^^^This!

I personally don’t feel a need to upgrade to premium. All of the tools that I need are included in the standard version.

I always feel like I’m starving when trying to be in a calorie deficit while still eating a high amount of carbs—or even eating a pretty moderate amount. I try to stay under 20 carbs, but I allow myself up to 50 carbs a day if I there’s something I want to eat with a little higher carb count instead of feeling as if I’m depriving myself.

Obviously, for the most part, it is simply calories in vs. calories out, but there are other factors that also have to be addressed. For many of us who eat low carb high fat diets, it helps us achieve that deficit because we’re not always feeling as if we’re starving and having sugar crashes which reduces the urge to binge eat. Once these issues are taken out of the full equation, it makes it much, much easier to meet our calorie goals.

There are seriously so many options and recipes out there for keto/low carb diets that I don’t feel it’s restrictive at all. Whatever I’m craving, I can find a keto/low carb option which also tastes great.

If there’s a special event, I don’t stress eating the food offered even if it’s not low carb. I’ll eat whatever I want, and then I get back to my normal way of eating the next day. My husband and I go out to dinner 2 times a month usually. I eat what I want. I even have low carb friendly alcoholic beverages. I actually feel like these carby days without limiting calories help if I’m stalling and prevents me from plateauing.