I am tired of family members telling me to stop losing weight

Options
13»

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Perhaps stop sharing that you are on a diet with people who aren't going to be supportive? Many friends, family, and coworkers are NOT going to be supportive of you getting healthy. If your doctor agrees with losing a few more pounds, just go with it. Don't share WHY you're choosing the foods you are, don't make comments about "I can't have that" - just say you're full and leave it at that.

I've had friends berate me for wanting to lose 5 pounds (back when I was closer to my ideal weight), and guess what - ALL of them were overweight! I've never had a fit, trim friend/coworker/family member make a comment like that!

Find support in places like these forums, the gym, or social media groups focused around what you are doing/enjoy doing in regards to diet and fitness. THAT'S where you'll get good motivation - not from the fat family members who know they SHOULD be doing what you're doing - but don't want to. You have to realize, by making better choices, you are making them feel guilty for theirs? Don't rub their noses in it, and don't expect them to be supportive - get that support in better places, and don't share with your family what or why you are doing it. Chances are, if you don't say anything about what you 'can't do/have/eat' or share about all of your time in the gym, they'll probably stop caring/noticing.

And if they don't, just say you're working with your doctor closely and trust their advice.

Exactly! You don't have to justify your food choices to anyone other than yourself - no-one else needs to know you are watching your calorie intake. I find telling people just gives them licence to comment, or they try and help you out with the 'one more little bit of ooey gooey thing won't hurt, I won't tell ha-ha' etc. I prefer to keep stum on the diet and wait for the compliments on how trim I am beginning to look. If I do get those I just say 'Thank you' and move on - I never mention the word diet. :)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Tell them "This is what healthy looks like." and hope they infer what you are implying...
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Grimmerick wrote: »
    I find asking questions is a good way to divert and put attention back where it belongs. Maybe something like

Q:"Why do you think it's your place to talk to me about this, when my doctor is happy with where I am?"
    A: We love you and just want you to be healthy, you look too skinny.

Your response: My doctor is very happy with where I am at and is monitoring me, Meanwhile I am glad you brought this up because I have been wanting to talk to you about being so overweight, it's very unhealthy and just like you're there for me, I am gonna be there for you, reminding you and encouraging you whenever I see you to lose weight because I love you and I am concerned, it's very unhealthy.

Then if they do bring it up again..........well you know what to do.

I really like this advice. I'm going to second trying this.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    My two cents. I used to get the you do not need to lose any more weight or you are so skinny now comment. It is never from a negative place. What I have learned that is that I hear and I don't hear people's comments. Nobody motivated me to lose weight but myself and no one is going to motivate me to stop losing weight if I do not want to.
    What used to bother me is on occasion my mom would see me in various states of undress and she would exclaim WOW look how much weight you have lost. I know she meant no harm, but I am still getting used to dealing with my new body. Now I just say thank you. Back to the topic at hand. When people tell me I have gotten so skinny I just laugh. I am nowhere skinny under any stretch of the imagination. I could lose 100 more lbs and not be skinny. However, compared to when I was 200 lbs bigger I may appear skinny.
    If the person that keeps commenting is coming from a negative space then you could just ignore them or tell them that you heard them the first time they made the comment and that they do not need to keep repeating it.
    Some people like to get under other's skin. If you ignore them then you take away their power. Enjoy your success and do not let anyone stop you.