Want a body like Jessica Biel?

Options

Replies

• Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Who the heck are these people and why should I care about them?

Everyone's body is unique. Getting your own body into the best shape it can be is the goal, not trying to look like some random person in a magazine.

Having said that, if you look at female bodybuilders (I grew up reading Rachel McLish's books), you will have a much better role model than some scrawny fashion plate living on cigarettes and heroin..
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I can understand everything he's saying, but I'm still scared to lift. As a female who is 5 foot 9, the idea of doing something that might challenge my femininity is a real mental block.

There is a pill for crazy.
  • jwcomputergirl
    jwcomputergirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I can understand everything he's saying, but I'm still scared to lift. As a female who is 5 foot 9, the idea of doing something that might challenge my femininity is a real mental block.

I could see it. I mean look at how un-feminine lifting has made me! Frankly it's alarming! And the way my butt is lifted and firmer and more curvy than ever makes me cry at night.

Said no one ever

I know this comes off rude but look at Jessica Biel. Do you think lifting has challenged or changed her femininity? Really?
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    She is so gorgeous. Justin is one lucky man.
  • Juniper3411
    Juniper3411 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Another great website for info on lifting heavy and routines is http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/workout-routines-for-women

i'm using the beginner 3 day full body split alternating between two workouts and I'm really liking it so far (though I wouldn't necessarily say I can see results yet, it's too early!) It's SUPER simple which is nice, and hopefully it will get me where I want to be!

He has a whole manual on building a workout routine also, which I read cover to cover, it's fabulous! Throw out the women's mags LOL!

Then again, not super worried about my femininity, I play roller derby :)
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

you could always try it for a while if you don't like your results then stop and the muscle will go back to the way it was no harm no foul. You have to work to keep it so what do you have to lose you can always go back to the way you were.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

You don't have enough testosterone in your body to look un-feminine if you lift.

Question: Do you consider Jessical Biel unfeminine?

Because I promise you she lifts weights. A lot.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

If this is serious... well, there's more than a fear of lifting weights going on here.

Just a little tidbit of information, I'm 5'8, lifting weights has only increased my feminine look. Fat wasn't feminine, skinny fat wasn't either, but now shedding fat and making sure everything underneath is nice and firm and tight, that's when the real curves started to show.

wiab03.jpg

The one on the left is me with more of a cardio intensive program (CrossFit) and the one on the right is me after 3-4 months of a straight strength program of lifting lots of heavy things (Back Squat - 195, Bench Press - 115, Deadlift - 215)... here's the kicker, I weighed the same in both.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Jessica Biel does CrossFit. You better get busy...
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is a good companion piece to the original article.

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

Sorry...this is garbage.

Jessica Alba is a horrible role model for fitness. She is known to struggle with her eating disorder and has admitted to going to the gym for hours upon hours (exercise bulimia) before she had her first child. While I don't wish her any ill whatsoever, I don't think she is a good representative of what's healthy. She certainly should never be compared to Jessica Biel who has long focused on her fitness and has never subscribed to Hollywood's standard of skinny beauty.

How is this garbage? He never said that Jessica Alba was a model for fitness. And people recover from eating disorders. Somehow I doubt Brett Contreras is so far out of the loop of the celebrity fitness world to be using actresses who still suffer from eating disorders. She is healthy. BMI is a crock of *kitten* too. No one was comparing her to Jessica Biel either. So no, I don't think the article was complete garbage by any means. How is it any different from the one I posted about Jessica Biel? He's writing about how you need to train to get a specific body... and he flat out says, let yourself get bulky before you start to adapt your program. He also says that genetics play a big part in how your body will look.

Face it, some people don't want the super defined and muscular look, it's their body, not yours or mine. If they're healthy, it's really no one else's concern. Your comments are just as bad as the people who say things like, "Ew, muscles on a woman, gross."
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

How could lifting challenge your femininity? I don't get it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Don't do steroids. Problem solved.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    brb have to repost pic
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Yeah, that's ridiculous. I find women who are strong, athletic, toned and muscular incredibly sexy and feminine. Lifting, running, yoga....whatever it takes for each particular woman to achieve their goals, I am on board. Weakness does not equal femininity.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Yes, but my wife won't let me have one.

ha ha, good one, and my husband won't be getting one either (at 44 years old, and having spent the last 18 not pursuing any fitness or eating goals, I don't think I'm gonna look like JB when I get done) still worth me doing it, but I am realistic and I know I am not going to look like that
  • MzPix
    MzPix Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Who the heck are these people and why should I care about them?

Everyone's body is unique. Getting your own body into the best shape it can be is the goal, not trying to look like some random person in a magazine.

Yes this.

I think the entire philosophy and trend of comparing ourselves to celebrities is full of so much fallacy and is entirely unhealthy on both a personal and social level.
    I am all for teaching people about health and fitness, but I think it should be done in a way that never compares them to others.

On a side note, I find it sad that we still live in a society that values culturally subjective concepts like femininity and masculinity to a damaging level. But that's entirely different soapbox of mine.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options

If this is serious... well, there's more than a fear of lifting weights going on here.

Just a little tidbit of information, I'm 5'8, lifting weights has only increased my feminine look. Fat wasn't feminine, skinny fat wasn't either, but now shedding fat and making sure everything underneath is nice and firm and tight, that's when the real curves started to show.

wiab03.jpg

The one on the left is me with more of a cardio intensive program (CrossFit) and the one on the right is me after 3-4 months of a straight strength program of lifting lots of heavy things (Back Squat - 195, Bench Press - 115, Deadlift - 215)... here's the kicker, I weighed the same in both.

I love you for posting your pics. And your honesty that you weighed the same. Love it!
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this link. Good stuff in there. I've been lifting for about 8 months now and I'm not sure where I'd be without it! I love it and crave it! Do I have (or will I ever have) Jessica Biel's body after lifting? No, but I am fitter because I am lifting. Everyone is different and how your body reacts will be different from the next person. Yes, I still do cardio but let's face it... women need cardio, too! It's the crappy truth but it has to be done. To all of those skeptical, just imagine yourself with curves that you've never had and noticing muscle definition in places you never thought possible! It works! Just try it!

Also, I've only lost maybe 10 to 12 pounds in the last eight months but the way my clothes fit is an entirely different story! Building muscle and losing inches. Makes me happy!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is a good companion piece to the original article.

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

Sorry...this is garbage.

Jessica Alba is a horrible role model for fitness. She is known to struggle with her eating disorder and has admitted to going to the gym for hours upon hours (exercise bulimia) before she had her first child. While I don't wish her any ill whatsoever, I don't think she is a good representative of what's healthy. She certainly should never be compared to Jessica Biel who has long focused on her fitness and has never subscribed to Hollywood's standard of skinny beauty.

How is this garbage? He never said that Jessica Alba was a model for fitness. And people recover from eating disorders. Somehow I doubt Brett Contreras is so far out of the loop of the celebrity fitness world to be using actresses who still suffer from eating disorders. She is healthy. BMI is a crock of *kitten* too. No one was comparing her to Jessica Biel either. So no, I don't think the article was complete garbage by any means. How is it any different from the one I posted about Jessica Biel? He's writing about how you need to train to get a specific body... and he flat out says, let yourself get bulky before you start to adapt your program. He also says that genetics play a big part in how your body will look.

Face it, some people don't want the super defined and muscular look, it's their body, not yours or mine. If they're healthy, it's really no one else's concern. Your comments are just as bad as the people who say things like, "Ew, muscles on a woman, gross."

Sorry, I don't agree. He is holding Jessica Alba up as a model for fitness. Hence "get a body like Jessica Alba." And, I agree, celebrity trainers will do and say anything to take well known celebrities that people desire to look like and use them as promotional tools. That's the PR strategy, eating disorder or no. That's my point - it's irresponsible. I have a problem with a trainer who takes someone who has known problems and holds them up as an aspirational example to other women. To me, that's garbage.

And I only compared the two Jessicas in the context of this board.

My comments are no where near the same as "Ew, muscles on a women, gross." I'm not saying "Ew, skinny is gross." I'm not even saying Jessica Alba is gross. I'm saying that an article on how to get a body like Jessica Alba's is silly in the context of her own admission that she has repeatedly been irresponsible with her diet and exercise regime. I don't blame her, I blame the opportunist.