Eat to LIve Dr. Fuhrman

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I did a little research and it looks like for those who have concerns about losing lean muscle mass (and not just body fat), that can be addressed by ensuring they wait until they're really hungry before eating, continuing to exercise, and adding more cooked greens and beans/legumes.

No, no, so much no.

Wait until you're really hungry? What kind of nutrition quackery is this?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I did a little research and it looks like for those who have concerns about losing lean muscle mass (and not just body fat), that can be addressed by ensuring they wait until they're really hungry before eating, continuing to exercise, and adding more cooked greens and beans/legumes.

I'd love to see the research.

My understanding is that getting enough protein (which sounds like it would be very difficult on this plan), lifting weights, and keeping a reasonable deficit are the main ways to ensure keeping one's fat free mass. In fact, this study recommends getting MORE than the RDA for protein, and I don't see how that's possible with only "a little meat and dairy."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23739654
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

No, no, so much no.

Wait until you're really hungry? What kind of nutrition quackery is this?

It's the kind that can lead to headaches which will precede migraines. I lost weight like that because migraines make you nauseous and can last 3 days. If you can't eat from nausea and hurling, yeah you're gonna lose weight. But then you might gain it back when you are eating all willy nilly from being doped up because most people when they find you hurling your face off and screeching in pain and averting your eyes will take you to the ER and next it's psychedelic medicine time complete with take home meds....

"I'm sick BUT I'M PRETTY, Baybeh! and what it al comes down to, Yeahhhh
    is that no one's really got it figured out just yet....." ...except they do. And they made a website about it. And it's free. And it has all the tools you need. And you don't starve. Or get headaches. Or buy special foods. Or give up the foods you like. And it works. And it has plenty of testimonials to that effect....if only I could remember the name?....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with his program..

does anyone have cliff notes version?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I'd like to try 6 weeks of this, starting Jan. 2 (daily):

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 1 cup legumes: chickpeas, black beans, lentils, kidney beans, cannellini beans, white beans, navy beans
    • 4+ fresh fruit: apples, bananas, berries, grapes, mango, melon, oranges, peaches, pears, pineapple, kiwi
    • 1 lb raw veg: Kale, chard, romaine, green pepper, frozen peas, cucumber, sprouts
    • 1 lb cooked veg: broccoli, zucchini, Brussels sprout, escarole, spinach, onion, mushroom, cauliflower,..
    • 0-2 oz avocado
    • 0-1 cup starch: butternut squash, brown/wild rice, cooked carrot, sweet potato, barley

Anyone interested in joining me?

no...

that is like 400 calories a day or something???
  • ndj1979
    Options

is "waiting until you a really, really hungry" a scientific term??

why not just wait until you are "really, really, full"...?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I read Fuhrman's and found it very restrictive I never did take it "all the way." I'm 61 years old, according to the "wisdom" in the world, I need to lose 75 pounds as well. One of the things I have found is that whenever I go on a "diet" meaning a particular way of limiting food intake - I find that all I think about is food - what I CAN have, what I CAN'T have and I start labeling food as "good" and "bad" - saying things like "I really ate bad today." That kind of mentality. So all of this dieting stuff is something I want to get away from. I've read so many books on nutrition I could probably write a book myself - combine all of them and make a really good book!! Just take away from it what you can do and leave the rest behind. For me, it helped me get back to eating more greens - which is good. I did the vegan thing for a minute, but found myself getting so hungry (and bored with eating only vegetables) also when you eat vegan you need to make sure you're getting enough B12 so if you do the Fuhrman and don't eat "food with faces" please make sure you're getting enough B12. You can obtain this through vegan B12 supplements or a tastier way is through Nutritional Yeast - which is great sprinkled on salads.

A neurologist told me that lacking vitamin B12 can give you headaches.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/what-is-a-nutritarian-diet.aspx

I don't think it's that controversial, especially if you're already not a big meat eater. It was too strict for my tastes, I wasn't even compelled to try it after reading it. And his fascination with mushrooms and onions was a little weird.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hello, yes I have read it and tried it but failed in my 2nd day. I'm a carnivore and his restriction to eat only pure vegetables is nuts. I couldn't do it. It was hard for me. But if it did not work for me does not mean it won't work for you either. He has years of study to back up his book and he has shown success stories there, so maybe it's true, it won't hurt to try. =)

You don't eat just veggies :) Fruit, beans, whole grains, nuts etc are all part of the plan. And some meat/dairy is still allowed, it's just not the focal point of your meals anymore. It's definitely not a plan that will appeal to everyone, but I'm really enjoying it :)
    So it's a plant based diet with meat/dairy, I'd assume low fat? Sounds pretty healthy to me.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I don't think it's that controversial, especially if you're already not a big meat eater. It was too strict for my tastes, I wasn't even compelled to try it after reading it. And his fascination with mushrooms and onions was a little weird.

hmmm anything that has "equations", "rules" and "toxic foods" is a no no for me ...

this is just someone trying to make things so complicated so that you have to buy their product, to enrich them..

calories in vs calories out + make sensible food choices + workout/move more = long term weight loss and health...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I am sorry, but this is absolutely wrong. What 'research' was this? It completely goes against human physiology, and makes no sense to boot.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I am a vegetarian, so no flag to wave here...it's tosh.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I don't get how "waiting til they're really hungry before eating" would would help keep lean muscle?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 1 cup legumes: chickpeas, black beans, lentils, kidney beans, cannellini beans, white beans, navy beans
    • 4+ fresh fruit: apples, bananas, berries, grapes, mango, melon, oranges, peaches, pears, pineapple, kiwi
    • 1 lb raw veg: Kale, chard, romaine, green pepper, frozen peas, cucumber, sprouts
    • 1 lb cooked veg: broccoli, zucchini, Brussels sprout, escarole, spinach, onion, mushroom, cauliflower,..
    • 0-2 oz avocado
    • 0-1 cup starch: butternut squash, brown/wild rice, cooked carrot, sweet potato, barley

No thank you :flowerforyou: I like to keep my muscle mass and also be on a diet that is not horribly restrictive. I also like to keep my hormones regulated with a decent amount of fats (plus pooping!).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

hmmm anything that has "equations", "rules" and "toxic foods" is a no no for me ...

this is just someone trying to make things so complicated so that you have to buy their product, to enrich them..

calories in vs calories out + make sensible food choices + workout/move more = long term weight loss and health...

thanks for finally putting words to the thing I think when i try to read one of those books full of "sciencey" terms and can't follow and give up not from a feeling of stupidity but from feeling like I'm being MADE to feel stupid.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 0-2 oz avocado

What is the source of this list?
  • ndj1979
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 0-2 oz avocado

it is from fuhrmans website..http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/what-is-a-nutritarian-diet.aspx < that is his list for being nutritarian ...whatever the hell that is...?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^ every bit of that.

Look, OP, if you want to go chasing silly magic solutions and wasting your money, then knock yourself out. If you want a dose of reality, then this book is hogwash.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 0-2 oz avocado

it is from fuhrmans website..http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/what-is-a-nutritarian-diet.aspx < that is his list for being nutritarian ...whatever the hell that is...?
    I don't see that list as a set of what to eat there. And when I google it, it only leads here.
    My point: I don't see his website saying: eat this, only this and lose weight.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    After reading a little more of his web site, it's coming back to me. It's been years since I read the book. A lot of his ideas are a little 'out there', if you ask me.

Ha, this article even calls him 'out there'.
    http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/joel-fuhrman-the-doctor-is-out-there-20121107