Eat to LIve Dr. Fuhrman

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'd like to try 6 weeks of this, starting Jan. 2 (daily):

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 1 cup legumes: chickpeas, black beans, lentils, kidney beans, cannellini beans, white beans, navy beans
    • 4+ fresh fruit: apples, bananas, berries, grapes, mango, melon, oranges, peaches, pears, pineapple, kiwi
    • 1 lb raw veg: Kale, chard, romaine, green pepper, frozen peas, cucumber, sprouts
    • 1 lb cooked veg: broccoli, zucchini, Brussels sprout, escarole, spinach, onion, mushroom, cauliflower,..
    • 0-2 oz avocado
    • 0-1 cup starch: butternut squash, brown/wild rice, cooked carrot, sweet potato, barley

Anyone interested in joining me?
    What is the source of this list?

it is from fuhrmans website..http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/what-is-a-nutritarian-diet.aspx < that is his list for being nutritarian ...whatever the hell that is...?
    I don't see that list as a set of what to eat there. And when I google it, it only leads here.
    My point: I don't see his website saying: eat this, only this and lose weight.

His position on food - if you take the general framework of focusing on micronutrient rich food is sound. His detailed position on diseases in particular cardiovascular and cancer is bull pucks. The guys makes his money pushing supplements from his own shop.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 1 cup legumes: chickpeas, black beans, lentils, kidney beans, cannellini beans, white beans, navy beans
    • 4+ fresh fruit: apples, bananas, berries, grapes, mango, melon, oranges, peaches, pears, pineapple, kiwi
    • 1 lb raw veg: Kale, chard, romaine, green pepper, frozen peas, cucumber, sprouts
    • 1 lb cooked veg: broccoli, zucchini, Brussels sprout, escarole, spinach, onion, mushroom, cauliflower,..
    • 0-2 oz avocado
    • 0-1 cup starch: butternut squash, brown/wild rice, cooked carrot, sweet potato, barley

it is from fuhrmans website..http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/what-is-a-nutritarian-diet.aspx < that is his list for being nutritarian ...whatever the hell that is...?
    I don't see that list as a set of what to eat there. And when I google it, it only leads here.

His position on food - if you take the general framework of focusing on micronutrient rich food is sound. His detailed position on diseases in particular cardiovascular and cancer is bull pucks. The guys makes his money pushing supplements from his own shop.
    That wasn't my question. My question was where did this list of what SHE'S going to eat come from.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If all you had to do to preserve lean body mass while at a deficit was wait until you are really really hungry to eat there wouldn't be much gyms around and everyone would look good naked...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 0-2 oz avocado

That wasn't my question. My question was where did this list of what SHE'S going to eat come from.

Well, I'm not she.
    You'll have to wait until she dines to answer.

Or you can become a member of that site. You're not a member? I'm sure you get access to special places. For a membership.
    Just sign up.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 0-2 oz avocado

Well, I'm not she.

Or you can become a member of that site. You're not a member? I'm sure you get access to special places. For a membership.
    Just sign up.
    Why would I want to?
    So was your original reply to me supposed to be a reply to me? Or just a convenient place to quote.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 0-2 oz avocado

Well, I'm not she.

Just sign up.
    Why would I want to?
    So was your original reply to me supposed to be a reply to me? Or just a convenient place to quote.

It might answer your question? Whatevers.

I probably hit the wrong button. Maybe it was a comment to your earlier posting, you know, where you found him reasonable.
    He is too full of hype for my own taste.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 0-2 oz avocado

Well, I'm not she.

Just sign up.
    Why would I want to?

I probably hit the wrong button. Maybe it was a comment to your earlier posting, you know, where you found him reasonable.
    I didn't say I found him reasonable, per se. I said a plant based diet with lean meats and low fat dairy was reasonable. It is. My point in stating that was: you don't need some fancy guy's website. Just eat a whole food, plant based diet with lean meats (if you want em) and (low fat) dairy. Again, if that's what he proposes. No idea. And that's why I asked where the list came from. I didn't see it on his website, and it seems rather arbitrary as THE plants to eat. :flowerforyou:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 0-2 oz avocado

Well, I'm not she.

Just sign up.
    Why would I want to?

I didn't say I found him reasonable, per se. I said a plant based diet with lean meats and low fat dairy was reasonable. It is. My point in stating that was: you don't need some fancy guy's website. Just eat a whole food, plant based diet with lean meats (if you want em) and (low fat) dairy. Again, if that's what he proposes. No idea. And that's why I asked where the list came from. I didn't see it on his website, and it seems rather arbitrary as THE plants to eat. :flowerforyou:

Well, if it helps add credibility to the poster who posted the list, there were a couple of other topics posted on Eat to Live yesterday and they had the same food list. For whatever that's worth.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 0-2 oz avocado

Well, I'm not she.

Just sign up.
    Why would I want to?

Well, if it helps add credibility to the poster who posted the list, there were a couple of other topics posted on Eat to Live yesterday and they had the same food list. For whatever that's worth.
    Thanks. When I google a chunk of the list it always comes back here. Weird. They are all good foods, add some protein and whatnot and it's not bad at all. Just wondered why THOSE foods win. Thanks for this post.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Here's a link to the food list as written by a book reviewer. Can't find the list on the official site, probably because they want you to buy the book.

http://www.chewfo.com/diets/eat-to-live-by-joel-fuhrman-2003-2011-what-to-eat-and-foods-to-avoid-food-list/#six
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Here's a link to the food list as written by a book reviewer. Can't find the list on the official site, probably because they want you to buy the book.

http://www.chewfo.com/diets/eat-to-live-by-joel-fuhrman-2003-2011-what-to-eat-and-foods-to-avoid-food-list/#six
    Thanks. That's a much broader list isn't it? And that list says to limit flax seeds.
    It does talk about six weeks though.
    Interesting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

• 1 Tbsp flaxseed
    • 0-2 oz avocado

Well, I'm not she.

Just sign up.
    Why would I want to?

Thanks. When I google a chunk of the list it always comes back here. Weird. They are all good foods, add some protein and whatnot and it's not bad at all. Just wondered why THOSE foods win. Thanks for this post.

they win because they are not "toxic"....I guess...
  • cranberrylane
    Options
    Hi, thumb brower47. It would be helpful for me to see any studies showing eating a plant-based whole food diet contributes to loss of lean body mass while losing weight – thanks. To me, not eating until you’re hungry sounds sensible, but again if there’s research out there to indicate it’s not, it would help me to see it. Much appreciated!

Hi, ILiftHeavyAcr. I’m no scientist, but pp. 319-364 of the edition I have of Eat to Live is all references to peer-reviewed studies, if that helps. In the ETL approach, you get all your protein from plant sources (e.g. beans) given the evidence linking animal protein with cancers, heart disease, etc. (When I came across people like those profiled at veganbodybuilding.com, that helped convince me. )

Hi, MyChocolateDi. The first time I tried this program I did have brief headaches for a few days. Fortunately they did not trigger a migraine, which I too have a propensity for getting. My headaches really didn’t surprise me when I considered that my body was “moving out” the aftermath of all the poor-quality food I’d been eating beforehand! But as you suggested, this approach may not be reasonable for everyone.
  • cranberrylane
    Options
    Sorry, those are mostly minimums. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Thanks. That's a much broader list isn't it? And that list says to limit flax seeds.
    It does talk about six weeks though.
    Interesting.

Yeah, it's broader. I still don't care for plans that divide foods into good and bad categories. And I think this plan would be seriously low in protein.
  • cranberrylane
    Options
    I take B12 and D.
  • cranberrylane
    Options
    This is essentially the 6-week plan put forward as a jump-start.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Sorry, those are mostly minimums. :)
    So I'll ask again. WHERE DID YOU GET THAT LIST? Why, of all the foods on Furhman's diet did you choose that small list to post when asking us to "join you"?

ps: I eat a whole foods, plant based diet (with meat and dairy).
  • cranberrylane
    Options
    SHE is right here and you can ask me directly. This would be my version of the 6-week plan.