Stomach enzymes increase calories in meat and starch?

Options
2»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    @Aaron_K123

Ok. I know you cannot give a true estimate but if you know how any of it might play out I would be interested.

Warning: This may not be suitable for someone to read if you are eating.

About a month ago I was sick and while not vomiting... well... you get the idea. Over the course of about 5 days I only ate lunch and the calories averaged 900ish. During those days should I have focused on carbs that get processed faster because the rest is on an accelerated exit path? Or am I getting more from the 900 as-is than I realize? The last time it happened it was much worse and I only had fluids but this time I had a little appetite so I ate some. Oh and I kept my hydration as high as I could and did the best I could with electrolytes I just don't want to starve anymore than I have to if/when it happens again.

If someone is reading this and it is not clear this has nothing to do with weight loss I just want to know how to best take care of myself.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @Aaron_K123
    Ok. I know you cannot give a true estimate but if you know how any of it might play out I would be interested.

About a month ago I was sick and while not vomiting... well... you get the idea. Over the course of about 5 days I only ate lunch and the calories averaged 900ish. During those days should I have focused on carbs that get processed faster because the rest is on an accelerated exit path? Or am I getting more from the 900 as-is than I realize? The last time it happened it was much worse and I only had fluids but this time I had a little appetite so I ate some. Oh and I kept my hydration as high as I could and did the best I could with electrolytes I just don't want to starve anymore than I have to if/when it happens again.

If someone is reading this and it is not clear this has nothing to do with weight loss I just want to know how to best take care of myself.

The faster and higher up it can get absorbed... the higher the chances that it will not exit un-processed :smile: Eating whole nuts in the situation may not help you intake as many calories as a tablespoon of honey would. <though you may want more than simple carbs, and there may exist more than speed of absorption considerations: How about BRAT (banana, rice, apple sauce, toast) or for even more suggestions: https://www.iffgd.org/lower-gi-disorders/diarrhea/nutrition-strategies.html&gt;

Not sure if Aaron covered it, but our current practice of assigning values of 4 Cal, 9 Cal and 4 Cal to Carbs, Fats, and Protein already partially takes into account extra poopsies and peepsies losses as per our friend (Dr I presume) Atwater.

Definitely majoring in the minors section when it comes to weight loss given all the estimates already used in the process and given that it seems to work fine for the vast majority of people who do not employ mono-diets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwater_system
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    @Aaron_K123

The faster and higher up it can get absorbed... the higher the chances that it will not exit un-processed :smile: Eating whole nuts in the situation may not help you intake as many calories as a tablespoon of honey would. <though you may want more than simple carbs, and there may exist more than speed of absorption considerations: How about BRAT (banana, rice, apple sauce, toast) or for even more suggestions: https://www.iffgd.org/lower-gi-disorders/diarrhea/nutrition-strategies.html&gt;

Not sure if Aaron covered it, but our current practice of assigning values of 4 Cal, 9 Cal and 4 Cal to Carbs, Fats, and Protein already partially takes into account extra poopsies and peepsies losses as per our friend (Dr I presume) Atwater.

Definitely majoring in the minors section when it comes to weight loss given all the estimates already used in the process and given that it seems to work fine for the vast majority of people who do not employ mono-diets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwater_system

Thanks for that link. It summarises the objections to the system, and concludes:

"The theoretical and physiological objections to the assumptions inherent in the Atwater system are likely to result in errors much smaller than these practical matters. Conversion factors were derived from experimental studies with young infants, but these produced values for metabolisable energy intake that were insignificantly different from those obtained by direct application of the modified Atwater factors."

My friend the chef is, as you say, "majoring in the minors".