Peanut Butter Addiction?

Options
pe4sandra2
pe4sandra2 Posts: 39 Member
I love peanut butter so much that it's the first item I log in my diary (even though it's the last thing I eat in the evening). I've had two teaspoons a day for the last three months or so. Oddly, this fondness for peanut butter is new and coincides with my recent interest in dropping weight. Have any of you experienced brand new cravings as a result of trying to manage your weight?

Replies

• george5911
    george5911 Posts: 3,910 Member
    Options
    I would think this is normal if you are dropping other habit foods in favor of this.
  • Jrodasff
    Jrodasff Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I never was a huge honey fan but now I absolutely love it. For a healthy snack I eat 3/4c non fat cottage cheese with about 20 almonds and drizzle the top with honey. It’s my go to. I also crush peanut butter on a daily basis.
  • pe4sandra2
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Well, my evening snack was a bag of Doritos or buttery popcorn only a few months ago. If this is my new habit food and I stay within my calorie count I should be okay, I guess?
    Jrodasff wrote: »
    I never was a huge honey fan but now I absolutely love it. For a healthy snack I eat 3/4c non fat cottage cheese with about 20 almonds and drizzle the top with honey. It’s my go to. I also crush peanut butter on a daily basis.

Honey is delightful. :smile:
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Always loved it but since I've been cutting again for the last few weeks I've incorporated it more often...strange since it's so calorie dense. But then, it is quite satisfying.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's your need for fat. Or do you eat a range of fatty foods?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Romano red peppers. If I go into Waitrose and they don’t have any I feel like I’ve been punched in the gut!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Greek yogurt ..... in trying to find a way of increasing protein intake but keeping calories low, I started eating Greek yogurt . as a breakfast, a snack, dessert, as dips, on dinners, in dressings, with protein powder, with fruits, with peanut butter .... sweet, savoury, both

got to the stage where I had to create a goal to ween myself off of it because it was pushing me over my calorie limit
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I often go through phases of liking something a lot and eating it every day. After a while I usually get sick of it and find something else to fixate on...

I wouldn't call 2 teaspoons of PB an addiction...

I agree. I don't think the word addiction means what the op thinks it does.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I like natural peanut butter (smuckers is just peanuts and a bit of salt, and is widely available) but I don't think I eat any more or less of it, and I always weigh it. I like the taste, but I primarily use it as a good tasting source of dietary fat, which I'm often on the lower side of.

I also use dark chocolate as a dietary fat source.

For those that don't really use it as a dietary fat source, I find pb2 is a good flavoring to add to food for some of the peanut flavor without the additional calories.
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    PB is the first thing I drop from my diet when I'm trying to lose. A combination of not measuring well (or at all) and spreading it on something (anything) carb. For me, PB is the borg
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Just bought a pair of 40 oz jars of Skippy creamy peanut butter "on sale" as a 2fer pack at just 10 cents/oz but still have a 1/2 full 28 oz jar of the stuff on the shelf. They should last me a at least a year, maybe even 2.

I love the taste of peanut butter but am careful about how much I eat because of the cals. I usually just eat a tbspful it straight out of the jar as a "snack" between meals when I feel hungry but I do sometimes binge on an Elvis sandwich loaded w/peanut butter, bananas, honey and butter.

Done eating the rest of the day when I do. LOL!

;)

• pe4sandra2
    Options
    xmissxamyx wrote: »
    No need to be so snooty about the OP using the word addiction in the title folks.

I went from eating "standard" peanut butter to the "natural" peanut butter...the kind you find in the health food aisle with all the coconut oil and raw almonds. The flavour is AMAZING and a find myself eating straight from the jar every now and then which is not something I ever did with the other kind of peanut butter.
    I've also started eating porridge a few times a day, maybe because it's getting colder hear and it makes me feel nice and warm, but I seriously chose to have a bowl of flavoured porridge as dessert last night :blush:

I've never had porridge. If you're having it a few times a day it must be yummy. I'll have to try it. :smile:
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call it a specific craving, but my sweet tooth has definitely been more active the past few months. As long as I eat a couple of fruits a day I'm fine, but if not I start to fantasize about things like key lime pie, gingersnaps, nutter butters...the whole spectrum.

And I also LOVE peanut butter. I don't have it every day, but if someone were to go back far enough in my diary, they would find a day with around 1000 calories of peanut butter. :blush:
  • pe4sandra2
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I often go through phases of liking something a lot and eating it every day. After a while I usually get sick of it and find something else to fixate on...

I wouldn't call 2 teaspoons of PB an addiction...

I agree. I don't think the word addiction means what the op thinks it does.

I know what the word means. I apologize for having used it, since I know addiction is not a subject one should take lightly. I should have titled this thread: Strong Peanut Butter Cravings :wink:
  • pe4sandra2
    Options
    0ysterboy wrote: »
    PB is the first thing I drop from my diet when I'm trying to lose. A combination of not measuring well (or at all) and spreading it on something (anything) carb. For me, PB is the borg

I have to be very careful when measuring and tracking. I can see how spreading it can lead to more calories. I stick to the spoon.