Too much or too little? Crossfitters needed

Options
13»

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Measure - yes. Weigh - No. Most of your food logging is by volume (1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup roasted carrots) or by piece (2 eggs, 1 banana, 1/2 med avocado). Weighing by ounce or by gram is much more accurate. Those "2 eggs" could range from 45-60+ grams each, a combined caloric difference of 44 calories. That "1/2 med avocado" is calorie dense and the logging inaccuracy could be significant.

Those small inaccuracies can negate any perceived reductions in caloric intake.

I hear you. And I understand, on an intellectual level, that this is a science - and accuracy matters. But, I have to admit... I'm a bit skeptical of weighing everything (even though I know people swear by it) because... honestly... did any of us get fat by eating an extra ounce of baby carrots? Or 2 extra grams of hard-boiled eggs?

I'm trying to balance getting results with making realistic changes I can stick to long term.

I'm thinking about that awful book that came out a few years ago called "French women don't get fat." Essentially, I'm fat because I have a fat person's mentality: FOOD IS THE ENEMY and if I eat it I should hate myself. And I'd really like to develop a healthier relationship with food. Food is something to be enjoyed in moderation.

I'm really just venting here. NOT trying to offend anyone or sound like I know better (because I don't.) Just spitballin'

In the beginning it is important to go through the exercise and learn the basics. Does the variance in calories in baby carrots matter in comparison to ice cream? Why after 3 years I don't weigh carrots, but I almost always weight calorie dense foods when in a deficit. Similar to a financial budget I don't haggle over a pack of gum, but will fight to the death over a home price. If your margin of error is small, then it is best to minimize that error.

Also difficult to maintain a deficit and work out at a high level. You may see short term gains, but suffer in the long run. What's the point? You're doing this for life, not for next week. Be patient. Go slowly. You aren't going to see visible results in days or likely even weeks. Depending on your current level of fitness it may take months/years to see gains, but man is it worth it.
  • DanielleTake2
    DanielleTake2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Measure - yes. Weigh - No. Most of your food logging is by volume (1 cup strawberries, 1/2 cup roasted carrots) or by piece (2 eggs, 1 banana, 1/2 med avocado). Weighing by ounce or by gram is much more accurate. Those "2 eggs" could range from 45-60+ grams each, a combined caloric difference of 44 calories. That "1/2 med avocado" is calorie dense and the logging inaccuracy could be significant.

Those small inaccuracies can negate any perceived reductions in caloric intake.

I hear you. And I understand, on an intellectual level, that this is a science - and accuracy matters. But, I have to admit... I'm a bit skeptical of weighing everything (even though I know people swear by it) because... honestly... did any of us get fat by eating an extra ounce of baby carrots? Or 2 extra grams of hard-boiled eggs?

I'm trying to balance getting results with making realistic changes I can stick to long term.

I'm thinking about that awful book that came out a few years ago called "French women don't get fat." Essentially, I'm fat because I have a fat person's mentality: FOOD IS THE ENEMY and if I eat it I should hate myself. And I'd really like to develop a healthier relationship with food. Food is something to be enjoyed in moderation.

I'm really just venting here. NOT trying to offend anyone or sound like I know better (because I don't.) Just spitballin'

If you are eating (based on your logging) @ 1750cals and your TDEE is 2000cals, your deficit is only 250cals/day, which translates into a weight loss of about 1/2 lb per week.

Those couple extra grams and ounces can be critical when dealing with such a small deficit. Especially if the logging isn't tight and accurate. I don't intend to criticize your methods, but if one isn't aware of potential problems, one can't correct them in order to reach the desired results.

Case in point, your dairy listed Grilled chicken - Chicken, 5 oz @ 125 calories. USDA database for boneless, skinless grilled chicken breast at 210cal for a 5oz serving. 85 calorie discrepancy. Now your deficit is 165 calories. An ounce here, a couple of grams there reduces your deficit even more, until you are really just eating at maintenance and not losing weight at all.

This approach does not negate the concept of healthy food relationships or even enjoying what you eat. This approach merely addresses accurately assessing how much you consume so you can realistically set weight loss expectations and avoid having nightmares involving unchanging numbers on the scale.

Very well put. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Jrodasff wrote: »
    Jrodasff wrote: »
    Reread my original post and you will find your answer

As some others have pointed out, I have doubts that OP added a significant amount of muscle mass in just four weeks especially given that her measurements haven't changed.

I was saying to follow your BF instead of a scale. You get a better picture as to your progress. I’m over it

OP is already tracking her body fat and measurements.