Need some advice in achieving my goal

Options
A little background since I’m still pretty new around here. My 40th is next week and I had my third son a little over three years ago. Sure most of the weight came off, but that last 10 lbs was going to take some effort. I joined MFP in March and have been tracking and lost about 6 lbs which I could be content with except I would like more muscle mass, I’m almost 6’ and weighing 147. Checked my body fat at the gym today and it was 20% I’ve been trying to work more strength training exercises in but I suppose I need to schedule my days so I get them worked in. I’m wondering if I should start eating at maintenance if I want to build more muscle or should I try focusing on my macros more? Any advice/experience appreciated.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Eat at or near maintenance (depending on your goal) focus on getting enough protein, lift heavy, working each muscle group at least twice a week, and don't do your hard cardio on the same day as your heavy lifting. Supposedly those things for measuring body fat are not very accurate, but if you aren't content with what you look like right now, that's the way to go. Women add muscle fairly slowly.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    vallary14 wrote: »
    A little background since I’m still pretty new around here. My 40th is next week and I had my third son a little over three years ago. Sure most of the weight came off, but that last 10 lbs was going to take some effort. I joined MFP in March and have been tracking and lost about 6 lbs which I could be content with except I would like more muscle mass, I’m almost 6’ and weighing 147. Checked my body fat at the gym today and it was 20% I’ve been trying to work more strength training exercises in but I suppose I need to schedule my days so I get them worked in. I’m wondering if I should start eating at maintenance if I want to build more muscle or should I try focusing on my macros more? Any advice/experience appreciated.

You are on the lower end of the healthy weight range for your height, so my suggestion would be to eat maintenance and focus on progressive strength training. I would strongly suggest you follow a program, if you don't currently follow a program this is a great post:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1