I quit the gym to lose weight

Options

Replies

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    OP. I’m not picking on you, because ultimately you have to do what you think works for you, but, as any person who works out knows, results and getting fit don’t just come easily. When a person is forced to take time off due to an illness or other life event, I think they’d universally tell you that even a couple of months off can make you physically feel like your starting over. We used to say you “lose your wind”. In other words, you’ll feel weak, easily winded, and depending how long it’s been, you’ll feel “out of shape.”
    Have you thought about just lifting 2 days a week. Full body. Then do cardio on the other days to earn calories to eat? You could even make the cardio walking, if you think intense cardio would make you too hungry.
    If you’ve been in shape for sometime, you’ve probably forgotten how *kitten* it feels to feel weak.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Exercise is not just a weight loss tool, it helps you age better, it helps prevent certain illnesses, etc. There are many benefits of exercising not just weight loss.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    “ To maintain their weight loss, members report engaging in high levels of physical activity”

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/82/1/222S/4863393
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    “ To maintain their weight loss, members report engaging in high levels of physical activity”

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/82/1/222S/4863393

Maintenance is not the same as losing.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    for me, I lose weight more quickly when I don't lift weights and workout hard at the gym. losing weight, and getting fit are two different and important things.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I don’t think you need a gym for exercise, just some dumbbells and your body. Body weight squats and push-ups are great. You don’t have to exercise to lose weight but it’s a good way to get health problems like poor circulation and high blood pressure.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Little bit of back story; a few years ago I lost weight and gradually over time it has crept back on. It's worth noting that I have been going to gym 5 days a week every week during that whole time - lifting, no cardio.

I'm getting back on top of my diet again, but to do that I had to quit the gym. I just couldn't sustain the deficit and workout. It just made me too hungry.

Fear not, I will return to the gym once I hit my goal weight again!

The moral of the story....you definitely do not have to exercise to lose weight!

Then just go to the gym TWICE a week! Don’t stop all together. There’s so many benefits to weight lifting including increased insulin sensitivity, preserving lean mass keeps you stronger and helps prevent osteoporosis. Just go once or twice a week then and do full body workouts to preserve the muscle that you have. You wrote that you went 5 times a week...well then cut down but don’t eliminate exercise altogether. You will end up skinny fat which is worse.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I can empathise with the OP ... I stopped heavy deadlifting due to hunger issues .. I still lift, I run, I cycle, I do yoga, I swing kettle bells, blah blah blah

BUT

on the days I used to do heavy barbell deadlifts I could not control my eating .. will power completely broke down and nothing I did would satisfy the urge to eat.

Now I dead lift with a couple of 24kg kettlebells for a lot more reps, and that fine