124»

Replies

• xWintersKnightx
    xWintersKnightx Posts: 59 Member
    edited May 2018
    Lots of opinions here.

I'll add mine.

Exercise should not be stopped.

If you want to cut the gym, focus on body weight conditioning. Squats, push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups if you can, lunges and such.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Tracked my calories while half marathon training. Logged my exercise. Ate back most of my exercise calories but not all of them. According to MFP, roughly 250 calorie per day deficit. Guys, I was *kitten* starving. Once or twice a week I would wind up on some crazy late night binge that totally wiped out my deficit and put me into a modest surplus for the week. I wound up gaining about 5 lbs over the months of the training plan, most of it in the last 6 weeks.

Now my half is over, my running volume is a bit lower, and I'm sustaining a deficit. Overeating is generally planned (i.e. birthday party) and just results in a smaller weekly deficit rather than a weekly surplus.

With aggressive and intense training it can be hard to maintain a deficit and stay sane no matter how well you track. That's all the OP is getting at I think.

which is why most runners/triathletes will recommend that you don't try to lose weight while training for a race - because you can't adequately fuel your body while in a deficit and the increased stress it causes on the body
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    It's up to the OP of how they want to look and how they want to feel. For me, I regret not doing some lifting while I was losing. I'm not talking 4 days in the gym, I mean like 2 days to try to keep what I had. Bc now I trying to get a happy booty bc mine looks really sad.

Yea that happened to me exactly. I lost so much muscle in my glutes they were almost concave compared to my back. ... BUT... there is hope!! It just takes a lot of time and building.
  • kajaet
    kajaet Posts: 12 Member
    I'd like to thank the OP for her post. People can do what they want or comment how they see fit but I do think the message is inspirational to those trying to lose weight but don't have access to a gym for physical, financial, time, etc.....whatever reasons. I think it gives hope to people trying to shed pounds
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Well this thread blew up! Just got home and just caught up.

Firstly thank you everyone for your thoughts, tough love and support.

To address a few things; the person who commented that I struggle with balance is 100% correct. I am an all or nothing kind of person. (Let's face it, if I was able to be well balanced I wouldn't need MFP). So I have learned to recognise this as how I am and I work with it now instead of fighting it.

So FOR ME, I struggle controlling my hunger when I lift. My temperament means I want to go 100% in the gym and 100% on point with diet. The two are not compatible FOR ME so I must pick one. Right now I choose weight loss because when I can truly focus on it without having to battle gym augmented hunger it doesn't take long to drop the weight. I know i will lose some muscle, but i have accepted this. I will get it back, this is not a race.

Again to be clear, I do not intend to do bulk/cut cycles. I know I would suck at that. So I choose the slower route of lean bulking.

Because a few have mentioned it...No I will not do cardio, I don't like it.

The whole reason I posted initially is because more than a few people I work with blame not being able to lose weight on the fact they can't go to gym due to time/money/etc (we have all heard the excuses). I merely wanted to point out to people who may feel unhappy at the prospect of HAVING to go to the gym to lose weight (because they mistakenly believe that is what they have to do) that they don't even try that it is not necessary to go to the gym if they don't want to.

What are your stats OP? Is there a reason for losing weight? Are you within a healthy BMI?

Also lean bulking is still gaining weight... you will gain muscle and fat. So most people will cut after a bulk (even a lean one, unless they are going from underweight to normal weight of course).

Again you can do as you wish, I did it the hard way too but one benefit of all of it.. it taught me a lot and forced me down a path I would have never encountered otherwise, so you really just have to do what you want to do in the end.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 964 Member
    I agree SGT1372!

I understand. Last fall I seriously counted calories, in a deficit and only did daily long walks (60-90 minutes). I lost 40 lbs. Then it was so much easier this spring to start swimming and bicycling. I did a Rookie Triathlon last week.

My weight loss has slowed way down but today in measuring myself, despite no real weight loss or gain since January my hips and waist are down an inch. I do need to lose more weight (fat) but waiting until after a sprint triathlon to put myself in a calorie deficit to do so. I started lifting weights last week too. In the fall, I won't quit exercising but not so intense while I concentrate on losing more weight. I know it seems counter productive but it works for me at this time. Some people think it is easy to exercise hard and be in a calorie deficit but not for me.
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    I've heard a number of experts say exactly what you're saying.... during the weight loss phase exercise can be counterproductive because it makes you hungry and you end up eating way more than you burned off. If it is working for you that's fantastic! We all have to get to know our own bodies and what works for us.

Please post a links to "experts" telling you this.

Complete horse poo.

Medical doctor and professor Aaron Carroll, for one. His show healthcare triage did an episode covering many studies that show exercise does not help weight loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCtn4Ap8kDM

Which is not the same as saying exercise is bad! But if OP finds it easier to stick to a deficit without structured exercise, she is smart to wait to start a strenuous program until at her goal weight. The dogpiling in here is ridiculous. Exercise is not and will never be a major factor in weight loss. Aesthetics, yes. Overall health, yes.

From the video:

m6fn28n8vk4a.png

He did mention that diet is a more critical factor than exercise in weight loss, which is correct. He also said some people will eat more after exercise thinking they burned more than they actually did. All that does shows calories in vs calories out. One just needs to control their calories, same as if they are sitting on the couch.

And OP has found the way that works for her to stick to a deficit.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    If you were always hungry with working out perhaps looking at what you're eating (both content and amounts) is something to overhaul.

As many have said, working out isn't just about losing weight. There's many other health benefits to it.