Vegan Bodybuilders - where you at?

Options
Any vegan bodybuilders around here? I’ve been vegan 2 years and just started lifting to gain, going well so far. Would love to get in touch with some other vegans putting on weight to share tips and keep motivated

Replies

• Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie vegan and weightlifter, bulking at the moment.
  • dhanihk
    dhanihk Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Hey! Mind if I add you? :)
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    dhanihk wrote: »

Hey! Mind if I add you? :)

Not at all, my diary is public.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Eh, certainly possible. Not currently a vegan, but was lacto-vegan for a solid 4-5 years over a decade ago (had a more lean/"flat" look to go along with it). Mostly consumed a lot of peanut butter, yogurt, whey, & legumes for protein sources (just could not stomach it long term; felt better GI-wise with more dairy, eggs, meat/fish vs. nuts, seeds, & legumes). Was somewhat difficult to keep steady gains due to GI intolerance (even being still young/growing 18-23yo)

Note: vegans generally respond very well to creatine (if that's allowable for ethical/personal reasons)
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    Eh, certainly possible. Not currently a vegan, but was lacto-vegan for a solid 4-5 years over a decade ago (had a more lean/"flat" look to go along with it). Mostly consumed a lot of peanut butter, yogurt, whey, & legumes for protein sources (just could not stomach it long term; felt better GI-wise with more dairy, eggs, meat/fish vs. nuts, seeds, & legumes). Was somewhat difficult to keep steady gains due to GI intolerance (even being still young/growing 18-23yo)

Note: vegans generally respond very well to creatine (if that's allowable for ethical/personal reasons)

What does creatine do and what is it made from. Personal & ethical reasons...what do you mean by that?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Silkysausage
    Look at examine.com for a comprehensive write up on creatine.

Meat contains creatine so that's why meat eaters may get less of a benefit from it as they will naturally have higher levels. That might explain why many people aren't good responders to creatine supplementation - if you are topped up already then you can't use more.
    (It did nothing for me apart from upset my stomach.)

You would have to research if the synthetically produced creatine comes from sources that are compatible with being vegan.
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @Silkysausage
    Look at examine.com for a comprehensive write up on creatine.

Meat contains creatine so that's why meat eaters may get less of a benefit from it as they will naturally have higher levels. That might explain why many people aren't good responders to creatine supplementation - if you are topped up already then you can't use more.
    (It did nothing for me apart from upset my stomach.)

You would have to research if the synthetically produced creatine comes from sources that are compatible with being vegan.

Thanks, will take a look.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options

@Silkysausage

They're all vegan so you should be fine. Creatine Monohydrate is manufactured synthetically for supplements.

Certainly the one I use from MP is certified Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten Free.

• Silkysausage
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Silkysausage

They're all vegan so you should be fine. Creatine Monohydrate is manufactured synthetically for supplements.

How does it help you personally, have you seen the benefits?

I can't have caffeine and IBS so concerned about any stimulant or stomach upsetting effects.

• dhanihk
    dhanihk Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip I didn’t know that. Unfortunately creatine monohydrate kills my stomach.. heard it’s useful to try out other brands but definitely won’t continue it if I can’t find one!
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Silkysausage

I can't have caffeine and IBS so concerned about any stimulant or stomach upsetting effects.

Creatine isn't a stimulant so shouldn't effect your IBS the same way as caffine but some people say they get stomach cramps if taken with insufficient fluids. (I've never experienced this).

You absolutely don't need to supplement with Creatine in fact your body is producing right now as you read this.

Your body produces it to store phosphocreatine. Your body uses this as an emergency energy source to aid cell function during stress. (Such as when weight lifting). This effect causes strength increases after creatine supplementation and may also have some other beneficial effects.

However, the effects are relatively small, a large meta study suggested an 8% increase in strength and a 12% increase in power. In all honesty that too small for me to see in myself on a normal gym day.

That said Creatine is cheap and very easy to take (5g/day in my smoothie) and if it gave me an extra rep this morning on the bench or knocked a second off of my sled push then why not :)

It's one of the VERY few sups with any reliable data to back up its efficacy.
  • Silkysausage
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @Silkysausage

Creatine isn't a stimulant so shouldn't effect your IBS the same way as caffine but some people say they get stomach cramps if taken with insufficient fluids. (I've never experienced this).

You absolutely don't need to supplement with Creatine in fact your body is producing right now as you read this.

Your body produces it to store phosphocreatine. Your body uses this as an emergency energy source to aid cell function during stress. (Such as when weight lifting). This effect causes strength increases after creatine supplementation and may also have some other beneficial effects.

However, the effects are relatively small, a large meta study suggested an 8% increase in strength and a 12% increase in power. In all honesty that too small for me to see in myself on a normal gym day.

That said Creatine is cheap and very easy to take (5g/day in my smoothie) and if it gave me an extra rep this morning on the bench or knocked a second off of my sled push then why not :)

It's one of the VERY few sups with any reliable data to back up its efficacy.

Well, anything that can help as I also have my second bout of Post Viral Fatigue and have varying days of strength.
  • Marlahgaspard33
    Marlahgaspard33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For the vegans, what protein powders are you using?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Not vegan, but I’m primarily plant based and tried most, of not all brands. Pescience is by far the best tatsting vegan protein I’ve ever had
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    For the vegans, what protein powders are you using?

Pure brand Pea Protein Isolate in 2 mixed frozen berry banana soy milk smoothies a day.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I'm not vegan but try to eat plant-based as default. I am a little lower on protein than I'd like, so following for tips/best protein powders etc. I've been weight lifting pretty regularly since January and love it!
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    I'm not vegan but try to eat plant-based as default. I am a little lower on protein than I'd like, so following for tips/best protein powders etc. I've been weight lifting pretty regularly since January and love it!

Don't rely on supplements if you can, it's best to get complete proteins from food. Tofu, black beans, nut burgers, seitan and more.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options

Don't rely on supplements if you can, it's best to get complete proteins from food. Tofu, black beans, nut burgers, seitan and more.

I tend to keep it to 3 protein shakes a week or so, either as a postworkout snack or instead of dessert. My favourite is chocolate, frozen cherries, and almond milk. I was finishing up my whey one, so in the market for a new one that's plant-based and mixes well.

Just ate a roasted cauliflower, pomegranate seeds, soy meatballs, and nutritional yeast sauce. Huge plate of food for 600 calories and 46g protein, awh yeah.
  • Silkysausage
    Options

I tend to keep it to 3 protein shakes a week or so, either as a postworkout snack or instead of dessert. My favourite is chocolate, frozen cherries, and almond milk. I was finishing up my whey one, so in the market for a new one that's plant-based and mixes well.

Just ate a roasted cauliflower, pomegranate seeds, soy meatballs, and nutritional yeast sauce. Huge plate of food for 600 calories and 46g protein, awh yeah.

No tips needed then by the sound of it!